Alabama

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:We have one guy in the top 150.

In 2008, we one in the top 100 and two somewhere between 100 and 110.
We have 2 in the top 150, with one of those good in the top 100. In 2008, we had one 4* and three 3*, again according to 24/7. Believe what I want.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
MageeRebel425 wrote:If I had the time or energy, I would go back and look at identical conversations we had on this subject for years.. Jim, you referenced Bruce Pearl in another thread... He has a massive ceiling, actually recruited the #1 class in the country last year, to Auburn at that, who has sucked at basketball for over a decade. That is how you recruit to a state of the art arena. Bryce Drew, Vandy is prob dancing. Ben Howland, out recruits us. Mike Anderson beat us down, and will continue to do so. Mike White has Florida rolling.. He will be in the final four within 4 years. UK is UK. Tennessee is trending upward coming out of a dark place. Frank Martin has SC on the cusp of the tourney. Bama plays filthy defense, when Johnson gets more talent they will beat us worse than they did the other night. Georgia is on the cusp of the dance. A&M lost a lot, but will be back very soon. So do we just continue to say, welllll we aren't LSU or MIssouri so thats good. I just don't understand the hesitation to make a change in a program that is, has been, and will continue to be so stagnate. 11 years at one place is a long time.
And who's to say we aren't on the cusp of better things? Let's see what kind of talent AK brings in now. First class was good, now let's see if he can close on those he's after in this class. If so, this class could be better than the first.
Jim, after 11 years all you can come up with is, 'who says we aren't on the cusp of better things?' ELEVEN years, we should be OVER the cusp by now. This is ridiculous.
Eric, who's to say that if we improve our talent level, which the improved recruiting should do, why can't that lead to 2-3 more wins per year. That could put us in the big dance.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

True. Time will tell.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
And who's to say we aren't on the cusp of better things? Let's see what kind of talent AK brings in now. First class was good, now let's see if he can close on those he's after in this class. If so, this class could be better than the first.
Jim, after 11 years all you can come up with is, 'who says we aren't on the cusp of better things?' ELEVEN years, we should be OVER the cusp by now. This is ridiculous.
Eric, who's to say that if we improve our talent level, which the improved recruiting should do, why can't that lead to 2-3 more wins per year. That could put us in the big dance.
Given the last eleven years and looking at recruiting during that time. I'm not convinced we're getting all this talent that is better than we've ever gotten.

When is enough? Does he get another 11 years to see if he can make it 3 times?

You can blame the players, the Tad Pad, the shoe companies, Ole Miss basketball history, Rod Barnes, AAU, etc. all you want.

You just saw us beat South Carolina with 6/7 players. We lost by 3 to Baylor and had them on the ropes most of the game. We played Creighton tough. There is no reason this team shouldn't at least on good side of the bubble(that statement by itself is Sad as hell after 11 years). But, year after year AK's teams have breakdowns and lose games they shouldn't lose. There is a laundry of things you like to blame. At what point does coaching get any?
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:
Given the last eleven years and looking at recruiting during that time. I'm not convinced we're getting all this talent that is better than we've ever gotten.

You can blame the players, the Tad Pad, the shoe companies, Ole Miss basketball history, Rod Barnes, AAU, etc. all you want.

You just saw us beat South Carolina with 6/7 players. We lost by 3 to Baylor and had them on the ropes most of the game. We played Creighton tough. There is no reason this team shouldn't at least on good side of the bubble(that statement by itself is Sad as hell after 11 years). But, year after year AK's teams have breakdowns and lose games they shouldn't lose. There is a laundry of things you like to blame. At what point does coaching get any?
Well obviously it ain't up to me. I don't understand what part of "he gets a chance to recruit to the Pavilion" u and others don't understand. If he truely gets that opportunity, then let him have it. I disagree with u saying we haven't started to up grade our recruiting, and so do the "so called experts". Us and Ky. are the only 2 conference teams that have been at least 500 in conference play the last 6 years. Also our only program that's been at least 500 in conference play the last 6 years. And AK is one of the least paid coaches in the conference. We finished tied for 5th after being picked 9th. Yea, I'm sure he needs would firing tomorrow. And lastly, I thought he did a good job coaching the game.
Last edited by rebeljim on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:

I don't understand what part of "he gets a chance to recruit to the Pavilion" u and others don't understand. If he truely gets that opportunity, then let him have it. I disagree with u saying we haven't started to up grade our recruiting, and so do the "so called experts". We'll see who's right. Us and Ky. are the only 2 SEC teams that have been at least 500 in conference play the last 6 years. Also our only program that's been at least 500 in conference play the last 6 years. And AK is one of the least paid coaches in the conference. We finished tied for 5th after being picked 9th. Yea, I'm sure he needs firing tomorrow. And lastly, thought he did a good job coaching the game.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I don't care how many games he wins or what his conference record is. He is not winning the games that will get us in the tourney.

I am fully aware AK will retire at Ole Miss in 20 years with like 5 tourney appearances. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Some Random Dude
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Been out of town and I'm late to the party. Guy's, Jim is loyal to Andy Kennedy. He see's things a little differently where he is concerned. I admire loyalty and we all know how I feel about AK and Ole Miss basketball. Things will have to get a whole lot worse to change Jim's mind about our coach. For a very long time he was the same way about Rod Barnes. I didn't get a chance to watch the SC game until late last night but what I saw was a SC team that sleep walked thru the first half and OM shot 47% from the three point line. After getting up twenty SC couldn't make it all up in a half. I'm certainly glad the game didn't last another five minutes. OM has shooters and when the stars line up they can beat you. The SC game is just a taste of what should have been. It wasn't a talent or player thing that has kept us confined to the NIT. There are reasons why we don't go to the NCAA tournament. Until they are addressed we are only spinning our wheels. The SC game is the only true quality win we have this season and it takes quality wins to go to the NCAA. That is the reason TN, Vandy, GA and probably Alabama is in the mix before we are and our record is comparable or better. There is no excuse for this team not being in the NCAA tournament.