Alabama

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I can't believe playing church league basketball does not work against a team that forces you to execute in the half court. If you think the Bama team that beat us down last night has more talent, we can't have an intelligent discussion. I can't watch this anymore. Our style of play looks like we call random fans out of the stands to draw sets on napkins. Last night I get a text from a basketball fan. He liked AK coming out of Cincinnati and started rooting for Ole Miss. This is what he texted me.
"Lots of times I wonder how Ole Miss has won a game as bad as they look." I totally understand what he is saying. They play a horrific brand of basketball, and I am so sick of watching it. I have said it before and I will say it again. The team that scores the easiest, wins games. That is from Upward all the way up to the NBA. When we score, somebody makes an incredible individual effort. When teams that we play score, its because they actually move the ball around and find the soft spot in our zone for a wide open shot or hit a cut man.
We got out coached last night. We get out coached a lot. There is always some excuse or justification. I remember a couple of years ago when Mike White was at LA Tech. All of us who would have loved for him to take over for HIS university were told that head to head AK would kill Mike White... Mike White is likely the SEC coach of the year... Oh well... Maybe AK can ride out the Pavilion and we can hire a new coach with our next arena.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Any time OM is forced into a half court game they are in trouble. You are right though, it is all about coaching. Our players make the game a lot harder than it has to be because of their decisions. It simply has nothing to do with ability or talent. It is all about decision making.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Ah 55, I see u wasted no time coming on here after a loss. We win and u don't post for several days. Lose and u post within minutes. Keep up the hate 55, can always count on your hatred. So typical.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I'm done defending the coach of using stats and facts to point out the programs short comings and how we over achieve every year. Y'all call up Ross and demand change and then go get your butts out there and coach this program to the tourney. It's apparently so easy anyone can do it.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

rebeljim wrote:Ah 55, I see u wasted no time coming on here after a loss. We win and u don't post for several days. Lose and u post within minutes. Keep up the hate 55, can always count on your hatred. So typical.
Like normal, you can't honestly say anything I posted was incorrect so you feel the need to attack the messenger. If you still believe we are in the process of doing anything but achieving mediocrity you are delusional. It's hard to get excited about holding on to beat the two worst teams in the SEC.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:I'm done defending the coach of using stats and facts to point out the programs short comings and how we over achieve every year. Y'all call up Ross and demand change and then go get your butts out there and coach this program to the tourney. It's apparently so easy anyone can do it.
We have underachieved at times also. And it's ALWAYS someone else's fault when that happens. AK get all the glory when people feel we overachieve and none of it when we don't.
Some Random Dude
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If I had the time or energy, I would go back and look at identical conversations we had on this subject for years.. Jim, you referenced Bruce Pearl in another thread... He has a massive ceiling, actually recruited the #1 class in the country last year, to Auburn at that, who has sucked at basketball for over a decade. That is how you recruit to a state of the art arena. Bryce Drew, Vandy is prob dancing. Ben Howland, out recruits us. Mike Anderson beat us down, and will continue to do so. Mike White has Florida rolling.. He will be in the final four within 4 years. UK is UK. Tennessee is trending upward coming out of a dark place. Frank Martin has SC on the cusp of the tourney. Bama plays filthy defense, when Johnson gets more talent they will beat us worse than they did the other night. Georgia is on the cusp of the dance. A&M lost a lot, but will be back very soon. So do we just continue to say, welllll we aren't LSU or MIssouri so thats good. I just don't understand the hesitation to make a change in a program that is, has been, and will continue to be so stagnate. 11 years at one place is a long time.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:If I had the time or energy, I would go back and look at identical conversations we had on this subject for years.. Jim, you referenced Bruce Pearl in another thread... He has a massive ceiling, actually recruited the #1 class in the country last year, to Auburn at that, who has sucked at basketball for over a decade. That is how you recruit to a state of the art arena. Bryce Drew, Vandy is prob dancing. Ben Howland, out recruits us. Mike Anderson beat us down, and will continue to do so. Mike White has Florida rolling.. He will be in the final four within 4 years. UK is UK. Tennessee is trending upward coming out of a dark place. Frank Martin has SC on the cusp of the tourney. Bama plays filthy defense, when Johnson gets more talent they will beat us worse than they did the other night. Georgia is on the cusp of the dance. A&M lost a lot, but will be back very soon. So do we just continue to say, welllll we aren't LSU or MIssouri so thats good. I just don't understand the hesitation to make a change in a program that is, has been, and will continue to be so stagnate. 11 years at one place is a long time.
I'll say it one more time. I think he deserves a chance with the Pavilion. I think the administration agrees, maybe not. If he doesn't get us dancing within the next couple of years, I imagine he'll be gone. He has to have a chance to get the players on the floor before we decide. The first class is supposedly our best ever. We are in on several 4* players for the 2018 season, we'll see how many we land.
We need an upgrade in talent. Our talent level compared to the other teams isn't good. Last years recruiting class, our best ever, was ranked 10th in the conference. AK has kept us in the top half of the conference with lower ranked talent. Now we see if he can change things with better talent, that he appears to be getting. Hopefully better talent will get us there. If not, y'all get your wish. But again, he has earned the chance imo. And for the record, I said I would take Bruce Pearl in a heartbeat. Although with the ncaa camping in Oxford, that might not be a good idea.
Last edited by rebeljim on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:If I had the time or energy, I would go back and look at identical conversations we had on this subject for years.. Jim, you referenced Bruce Pearl in another thread... He has a massive ceiling, actually recruited the #1 class in the country last year, to Auburn at that, who has sucked at basketball for over a decade. That is how you recruit to a state of the art arena. Bryce Drew, Vandy is prob dancing. Ben Howland, out recruits us. Mike Anderson beat us down, and will continue to do so. Mike White has Florida rolling.. He will be in the final four within 4 years. UK is UK. Tennessee is trending upward coming out of a dark place. Frank Martin has SC on the cusp of the tourney. Bama plays filthy defense, when Johnson gets more talent they will beat us worse than they did the other night. Georgia is on the cusp of the dance. A&M lost a lot, but will be back very soon. So do we just continue to say, welllll we aren't LSU or MIssouri so thats good. I just don't understand the hesitation to make a change in a program that is, has been, and will continue to be so stagnate. 11 years at one place is a long time.
And who's to say we aren't on the cusp of better things? Let's see what kind of talent AK brings in now. First class was good, now let's see if he can close on those he's after in this class. If so, this class could be better than the first.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
I'll say it one more time. I think he deserves a chance with the Pavilion. I think the administration agrees, maybe not. If he doesn't get us dancing within the next couple of years, I imagine he'll be gone. He has to have a chance to get the players on the floor before we decide. The first class is supposedly our best ever. We are in on several 4* players for the 2018 season, we'll see how many we land.
We need an upgrade in talent. Our talent level compared to the other teams isn't good. Last years recruiting class, our best ever, was ranked 10th in the conference. AK has kept us in the top half of the conference with lower ranked talent. Now we see if he can change things with better talent, that he appears to be getting. Hopefully better talent will get us there. If not, y'all get your wish. But again, he has earned the chance imo. And for the record, I said I would take Bruce Pearl in a heartbeat. Although with the ncaa camping in Oxford, that might not be a good idea.
Last year's, nor this year's class are our best ever. 2008 when we were still in the Tad Pad. This narrative is BS. We have a good class coming in. But, you AK supporters try to to hard in your support. Stop making stuff up to support AK.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
And who's to say we aren't on the cusp of better things? Let's see what kind of talent AK brings in now. First class was good, now let's see if he can close on those he's after in this class. If so, this class could be better than the first.
Jim, after 11 years all you can come up with is, 'who says we aren't on the cusp of better things?' ELEVEN years, we should be OVER the cusp by now. This is ridiculous.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
Last year's, nor this year's class are our best ever. 2008 when we were still in the Tad Pad. This narrative is BS. We have a good class coming in. But, you AK supporters try to to hard in your support. Stop making stuff up to support AK.
Not making anything up. Just repeating what 24/7 is saying. They said this class was our best. I'll try and find what they said.
Last edited by rebeljim on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Eric,

Ole Miss Basketball signs highest rated recruiting class in school history

Ole Miss men’s basketball has announced the signing of three players to form the highest rated recruiting class in program history.

The Rebels signed three senior standouts Wednesday, including 4-star G Devontae Shuler, 3-star G Parker Stewart and 3-star F Jamarko Pickett.

Those three have the highest combined average rating in school history and give Ole Miss the No. 40 recruiting class in the nation, according to 247Sports.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccou ... istory/amp
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

And I think scout gave Parker Stewart a 4*, nor positive, but I think so.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We have one guy in the top 150.

In 2008, we one in the top 100 and two somewhere between 100 and 110.
Some Random Dude