Poster on scout gives final season stats on our signees

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Final season stats for Ole Miss basketball signees.
I think these are the final season stats. The only one I am not sure of is Devontae Shuler at Oak Hill. It seems Oak Hill is always scheduling another team to beat up on.

First off, Parker Stewart. Parker had a very good year for Union City (Jackson, Tn,). Parker ended up averaging 26 points a game, 7 rebounds a game, 3 assists a game and two steals each time out. Don't overlook this kid. He is a great shooter, but he has considerable skills beyond that. He is a coach's son who is dedicated to his craft. I believe we will all be happy in the years to come that Parker chose to come to Ole Miss.

Next, Devontae Shuler. Devontae averaged 15.3 points a game, 4.3 rebounds a game, 4.1 assists a game, and 3.7 steals each time out. Thanks to the in depth stats that Oak Hill provides it is worth examining those stats further. Devontae was tied with another player as the second leading scorer on a very good Oak Hill team with signees heading to Kansas, Creighton, Iowa State...you name it. His shooting percentages were very good. Devontae hit on over 56% on his field goal attempts and over 42% of his 3 point tries. He led his team in steals which is a good indication of an excellent defensive player. What was most impressive to me is Devontae's assist to turnover ratio. On the year, Shuler had 87 assists against only 24 turnovers. That is outstanding by anyone's standards. It reinforces the notion that Devontae will be seeing quite a lot of time next year at the point when Breein is not playing it.

Finally, Jamarko Pickett. I don't have the stats for his last game -- a low scoring loss to Notre Dame Prep -- but I read an article before that game which stated that he had averaged 16.2 points a game along with 8.5 rebounds each time out. He was the third leading scorer on his Massanutten team. Frankly, from my amateur viewpoint, I was a little disappointed in Jamarko's play this season. Forgive this commentary, it is just that I had expected him to be the star of stars on his team but there were times in games when he would absolutely disappear. Yes, he was probably playing out of position. No doubt, this kid has talent and I am glad we signed him, but after having a stellar first part of the season which resulted in his rankings taking such a dramatic leap forward, I did not see that play continuing for the rest of his season. In basketball, I am not into rankings, but I will say at the risk of being flamed that the Scout ranking of the 57th best player in the high school ranks seems a bit too high to me. Just one man's opinion that you are welcome to disregard as you wish. One thing is certain, Jamarko badly needs about 20 pounds of muscle, even playing on the wing which is the place I see him playing at Ole Miss at this time. Though he may be almost 6-10, he cannot even begin to play the power forward position in the SEC without that aforementioned addition of muscle. My hopes remain that AK and staff find that needed answer for power forward in the juco ranks in this Spring signing period.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Part of an article by Ben on scout.

We return an experienced roster led by emerging all-league-caliber players Breein Tyree and Terence Davis. Saiz will be replaced by 7-foot Drake transfer Dominik Olejniczak, who will provide the rim protection and quickness in defensive rotations Ole Miss has sorely lacked in the low block.
Ole Miss has one scholarship open for the spring, though the Rebels are expected to add at least two players, and possibly up to four, after the dust settles. Donte Fitzpatrick-Dorsey is expected to transfer, and the future is cloudy for rising senior Marcanvis Hymon, who could also be a transfer candidate.
Ole Miss is looking to add offense at the four. Hymon and Justas Furmanavicius combined to average only 10.0 points per game this season. Ideally, the Rebels would land a player whose offense isn’t reliant on put-back opportunities at the rim, but rather can step out and make shots outside of 10 feet. Jones Community College forward Bruce Stevens is an option, and Ole Miss has kicked the tires on former Memphis and Virginia forward Austin Nichols, though the SEC’s new rules regarding previous disciplinary issues for transfers makes it all but impossible for the Rebels to add him.
Ole Miss could add a guard, too, and the Rebels will make it a priority to get more athletic on the wing. Former Texas guard Tevin Mack is a name being floated, among a host of others.
Last edited by rebeljim on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

And lastly, look for Burnett to file for a medical redshirt. If granted, and it looks like it will be, he'll have 2 more years of eligibility.