GATECH

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

Ugly first half. The Jackets are 2-9 away from home this year but have owned this one since the beginning.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
Chucky_38
All American
All American

And we sold out the Pavillion. Which is good to see for an nit game.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:And we sold out the Pavillion. Which is good to see for an nit game.
The Syracuse game gave folks something to get excited about.

Getting to within 10 points at the half was big. Shots fall in the 2nd half and take care of the ball we'll be OK.
Some Random Dude
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

Good effort by our team. Just came up short. 6/28 three pointer certainly did not help us :(
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The Syracuse game is what is fun about the style we play... When tough shots are falling, we look good. When tough shots aren't falling, we look very sloppy and like a church league team. Last night was the latter. That is why we are a lot like George Karl coached teams. Our style can win more than we lose, but its tough to sustain at a high level, degree of difficulty is just too much at times. Georgia Tech dominated from tip to horn and deserved to win. They were the better team. My wife is not a basketball person at all, and even she commented on the hustle GA Tech had. AK gets another year, fine.. Next year is tourney or we need to part ways...
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GA Tech coach said it in his pregame speech..."Our TEAM will beat their INDIVIDUALS"...

Andy Katz also said in the pre game broadcast that AK "has a great job and has gotten too comfortable..he knows that all he has to do is have a winning record and get to the NIT"...

I think that both hit the nail on the head.

But it was still nice to see the Pavilion filled up...
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Andy Katz has no idea what he's talking about. And since u have admitted u will never pull for us in basketball as long as AK is here, doubt what u say will be very objective either. How is it we have our best class ever coming in if AK has gotten too comfortable?? Haters are gonna hate. We only had 8 scholly players with little height and no scoring from the 4 this year. That will not be a problem next year I wouldn't think. We have two 7' centers next season. Still need that scoring 4, but expect to get that this spring. I was there last night. We got both out hustled and out coached. When we came out for warmups, we were missing shots then. I told my grandson I was glad we were just warming up, cause we were missing a lot. Well, that carried over into the game. For some reason, we would come out more focused for the road games than we would our home games. We usually have been good at home, but this year we wasn't. We usually are better on defense, but not this year. If I had a gun, I would've shot Burnett over and over last night. He's been told not to drive, but shoot from the outside, He continued to drive to the basket, only to get his shot blocked. Saiz should've been fed the ball over and over, but wasn't. Out hustled and out coached, it was a long drive home. But I do look for us to be a better team next year with all we have coming back plus what we have joining them. And before yall say something about AK getting out coached last night, he out coached a future HOF coach the other night. Andy Katz indeed......
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote:Andy Katz has no idea what he's talking about. And since u have admitted u will never pull for us in basketball as long as AK is here, doubt what u say will be very objective either. How is it we have our best class ever coming in if AK has gotten too comfortable?? Haters are gonna hate. We only had 8 scholly players with little height and no scoring from the 4 this year. That will not be a problem next year I wouldn't think. We have two 7' centers next season. Still need that scoring 4, but expect to get that this spring. I was there last night. We got both out hustled and out coached. When we came out for warmups, we were missing shots then. I told my grandson I was glad we were just warming up, cause we were missing a lot. Well, that carried over into the game. For some reason, we would come out more focused for the road games than we would our home games. We usually have been good at home, but this year we wasn't. We usually are better on defense, but not this year. If I had a gun, I would've shot Burnett over and over last night. He's been told not to drive, but shoot from the outside, He continued to drive to the basket, only to get his shot blocked. Saiz should've been fed the ball over and over, but wasn't. Out hustled and out coached, it was a long drive home. But I do look for us to be a better team next year with all we have coming back plus what we have joining them. And before yall say something about AK getting out coached last night, he out coached a future HOF coach the other night. Andy Katz indeed......
That best class ever you boast of is still only ranked the 47th best class in the nation . That's nothing to write home about despite the fact that we've done worse than that . I know you believe in Kennedy no matter what but he's a consistent underachiever . Here is the indisputable fact : eleven years is long enough to absolutely know who someone is and this is Andy Kennedy : every single year we will win around 20 games but only beat those we are supposed to be with the occasional year that we beat one or two we aren't supposed to beat and that will get us on the bubble . We will always be in a position during those bubble years that we MUST win one or two in the conference tournament to secure our NCAA tournament berth . even during aks best season ever (2013) when we won 27 games , we STILL had to make it to the sec tournament title game to secure a spot in the NCAA tournament . The only other time beyond that we made it we only made the play in game and then got hammered in the first round by a fat white guy and lost by 19 points . If Ak doesn't make it next year he must be fired . He saved his job when he was on the hot seat in 2013 and he needs to coach with urgency next year . With all the supposed talent we have coming back and in it should be no issue and if he's truly the John calipari you guys think he is then it should be no problem
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Cal just signed a contract extension with Ky. paying him 8 million a year.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

jrebel87 wrote:
rebeljim wrote:Andy Katz has no idea what he's talking about. And since u have admitted u will never pull for us in basketball as long as AK is here, doubt what u say will be very objective either. How is it we have our best class ever coming in if AK has gotten too comfortable?? Haters are gonna hate. We only had 8 scholly players with little height and no scoring from the 4 this year. That will not be a problem next year I wouldn't think. We have two 7' centers next season. Still need that scoring 4, but expect to get that this spring. I was there last night. We got both out hustled and out coached. When we came out for warmups, we were missing shots then. I told my grandson I was glad we were just warming up, cause we were missing a lot. Well, that carried over into the game. For some reason, we would come out more focused for the road games than we would our home games. We usually have been good at home, but this year we wasn't. We usually are better on defense, but not this year. If I had a gun, I would've shot Burnett over and over last night. He's been told not to drive, but shoot from the outside, He continued to drive to the basket, only to get his shot blocked. Saiz should've been fed the ball over and over, but wasn't. Out hustled and out coached, it was a long drive home. But I do look for us to be a better team next year with all we have coming back plus what we have joining them. And before yall say something about AK getting out coached last night, he out coached a future HOF coach the other night. Andy Katz indeed......
That best class ever you boast of is still only ranked the 47th best class in the nation . That's nothing to write home about despite the fact that we've done worse than that . I know you believe in Kennedy no matter what but he's a consistent underachiever . Here is the indisputable fact : eleven years is long enough to absolutely know who someone is and this is Andy Kennedy : every single year we will win around 20 games but only beat those we are supposed to be with the occasional year that we beat one or two we aren't supposed to beat and that will get us on the bubble . We will always be in a position during those bubble years that we MUST win one or two in the conference tournament to secure our NCAA tournament berth . even during aks best season ever (2013) when we won 27 games , we STILL had to make it to the sec tournament title game to secure a spot in the NCAA tournament . The only other time beyond that we made it we only made the play in game and then got hammered in the first round by a fat white guy and lost by 19 points . If Ak doesn't make it next year he must be fired . He saved his job when he was on the hot seat in 2013 and he needs to coach with urgency next year . With all the supposed talent we have coming back and in it should be no issue and if he's truly the John calipari you guys think he is then it should be no problem
With our best class still being 10th in the conference, and 47th overall, seems to me he's doing more with less. And his pay is towards the bottom of the conference, yet he has our team in the top half every year. But I think u are right, although I think he has 2 years. I do think we go dance next year.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I'm on the fence with AK. I somewhat agree with what jrebel is saying about him. BUT, I also want to see what we look like next year. As Jim is saying, we should be pretty good. The reason I say this is because there is no doubt in my mind that selling the Tad Pad to good recruits was a tough one. Now that we have a new building it should get a little easier. I don't necessarily like the way we play but he seems to do more with less.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

From a poster on scout.

Frankly, I think it is highly misleading to select the only, very brief shining moment in OM basketball history as a point of comparison to AK. In fact, that period represented an unusual collation of events that is unlikely to occur again. Neither coach involved was able to sustain that level of success (Evans at ASU and Barnes at OM). It was an aberration and is not likely to be repeated.
Constantly seizing on this small moment in OM basketball history and failing to recognize the improbability of it recurring is discouraging.
It is also very arbitrary to select a 10 year span that just serves to enhance the percentage of participation from that period and minimize what AK has done. Why not go back 20 years? Why not 30? 40?
You also assume that making that the criteria for making the NCAA is the same today as it was 20 years ago. The differences and difficulties have been well documented on this site and don't need to be rehashed here. Percentagewise you have roughly the same chance of going to a Big 6 bowl from a power 5 conference as you do of making the NCAA's (19% to 17%).
I think he is considerably better than just a good coach.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:From a poster on scout.

Frankly, I think it is highly misleading to select the only, very brief shining moment in OM basketball history as a point of comparison to AK. In fact, that period represented an unusual collation of events that is unlikely to occur again. Neither coach involved was able to sustain that level of success (Evans at ASU and Barnes at OM). It was an aberration and is not likely to be repeated.
Constantly seizing on this small moment in OM basketball history and failing to recognize the improbability of it recurring is discouraging.
It is also very arbitrary to select a 10 year span that just serves to enhance the percentage of participation from that period and minimize what AK has done. Why not go back 20 years? Why not 30? 40?
You also assume that making that the criteria for making the NCAA is the same today as it was 20 years ago. The differences and difficulties have been well documented on this site and don't need to be rehashed here. Percentagewise you have roughly the same chance of going to a Big 6 bowl from a power 5 conference as you do of making the NCAA's (19% to 17%).
I think he is considerably better than just a good coach.
All excuses. Nobody is saying it's not harder or easier to get in now. But, our coach knows what it takes. And he's doing what it takes at around 18% of the time.

Coaches know what they have to do to get in. It's not a secret. Maybe it's harder, but it's not some intangible thing. You don't get a pass just b/c the road gets harder. It's your job.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

And Andy Katz is more than right. The fact that you have been satisfied with 2 tourney appearances in 11 years proves it.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:And Andy Katz is more than right. The fact that you have been satisfied with 2 tourney appearances in 11 years proves it.
He's right cause he fits your agenda. I have watched every game on TV that I didn't go to, including the exhibition game. every announcer, and I mean ever announcer on every network bragged on the job Andy is doing. And I'm sure u have heard them to. Coach after coach say the same thing. U remember what Cal was saying after their game at our house I know. I don't think AK or anyone else is satisfied not going dancing. So again, Andy Katz knows nothing. I think AK has 2 more years, guess we'll find out. But I'm sticking with saying I think we go next year.