Congrats Rod Barnes

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Has built a program with a team that has not been D-1 that long. Heading to the NIT final 4 after beating a team that did not have a home loss all season. 1st in their conference in D. But that guy is a terrible coach, right?
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Just look at his record. Wins and losses say it all.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Rod Barnes???!! Really?? I'll take AK all day everyday over Barnes.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rod is a good man. I remember his senior year, he begged Murphy to red shirt him cause the new comers, lead by Glass and Murphy's son, was beating the regulars continuely during fall practice. Murphy told him if he red shirted him, we wouldn't win a game. Barnes went on to making 1st team all SEC that year. Don't know if Rod had what it took to get into the dirty business of recruiting while he was here. And after Dukes left, so did our program. Rod's last 4 years, he won 4 league games 3 times, and won 5 league games once , if I remember correctly. AK them took that SAME team and won 21 games while winning the west, and winning SEC coach of the year. I can only imagine how this board would be acting if AK had just 1 losing year.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Being a good man isn't what we hired him to do.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

1. The SEC is not close to as strong a basketball conference as it was in the 2000s.
2. He was the Head Coach of the best team we had in program history.
3. He carried Cal State Bakersfield to the tourney last year.
4. He is in the final 4 of a tourney that some of you use as a barometer of a successful season under AK.
5. I am not saying fire AK, hire Rod Barnes, but to act like Rod is a bum and always has been is ignorant and just not fair.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

MageeRebel425 wrote:1. The SEC is not close to as strong a basketball conference as it was in the 2000s.
4. He is in the final 4 of a tourney that some of you use as a barometer of a successful season under AK.
5. I am not saying fire AK, hire Rod Barnes, but to act like Rod is a bum and always has been is ignorant and just not fair.
As I somewhat stated before I'm neutral on the whole AK beef that a lot of you constantly bicker about. The guy is the most successful coach in Ole Miss basketball history, you can't argue that. We've never been a basketball power and quite frankly, never will be. Rod Barnes had A good season. Credit to him and that team. But outside of that, he was a below average coach. Last time I checked, you don't rank coaches based off 1 good year.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:
MageeRebel425 wrote:1. The SEC is not close to as strong a basketball conference as it was in the 2000s.
As I somewhat stated before I'm neutral on the whole AK beef that a lot of you constantly bicker about. The guy is the most successful coach in Ole Miss basketball history, you can't argue that. We've never been a basketball power and quite frankly, never will be. Rod Barnes had A good season. Credit to him and that team. But outside of that, he was a below average coach. Last time I checked, you don't rank coaches based off 1 good year.

I guess its just a difference of opinions. In 11 years, if you gave me the option of dancing 5 times with 6 seasons below .500 I would take it over 2 dances in 11 with the 9 other being 20 win seasons. I absolutely disagree with you on Ole Miss never being a basketball power. Why can't they be? Ole Miss fans are desperate for something to cheer about. As evidenced with baseball, if we have a winner, we will rally behind that sport. If some of us are going to quote Cal, also quote him raving about the arena. Look at the other night, we sold out the pavilion on a Tuesday night at 8PM for an NIT quarter final game. I am leaving it alone. This thread was meant to congratulate a great man and Rebel, not get into an AK vs Rod Barnes debate.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

His offense is entirely different now than what he ran here. Run and gun compared to the half court offenses he ran here. He may be able to get better players in California than here. Whatever the reason, he's changed his style.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Not to beat a dead horse but.....

3 teams in the Elite Eight? Yea, not even close.....
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Look at how the 2 teams that are out, went out. Vandy player forgot the score and fouled the other team on purpose to give Northwestern the game. And arkie went the last several minutes scoreless and N. Car. scored the last 12 points for the win. And the SEC still has 3 teams in the elite 8. And the SEC has the best conference record in the dance at 10-2. I guess maybe some on here may need to re-adjust their assement of our conference.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Anti sec has been going on a long time. It escalated when bama played lsu for the nc and hasn't slowed down. It is a national thing and bleeds into every sport. Yanks and left coast (who are yanks but too stupid to know it) can't conceive the sec can be better just like they still think the rose bowl is the only important bowl. Add to it most paper media has always been in those two areas.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

South Carolina made it to the final 4. Their defense is tops in conference. I wonder if what applies to football is the same for basketball...defense wins championships? We will see.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm not a believer in the defense wins. I am a believer that you have to be good on both sides of the ball to win.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:56 pm His offense is entirely different now than what he ran here. Run and gun compared to the half court offenses he ran here. He may be able to get better players in California than here. Whatever the reason, he's changed his style.
He has 6 players on his roster from the south, including Taze Moore, who played at Southaven last year. There are only 3 players on the roster from the state of California.