A little from Ben on vitter and basketball

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I've said on here several times that Ben covers basketball better than anyone on the 3 pay sites. He keeps us informed on who we're recruiting and how the team players are doing. Another poster on scout asked Ben was it true that vitter was who didn't give Andy his extension. He did say one thing that I didn't know. I've said on here that an ex-player was in vitter's ear over this. While that is true, I thought it was Sean Touhy in vitter's ear, but Ben says it wasn't Sean. Here's Ben's post.

No. He didn't roll over AK's contract because a former player (not Sean Tuohy) sent him an anti-AK powerpoint presentation that Vitter bought into, despite the objections of three of the most influential Ole Miss basketball boosters. Three of the handful that matter, considering basketball has precious few.
We've been over this ad nauseum, but Ole Miss effectively made him a lame-duck coach, cost him his lead assistant and two of his signees - including four-star Jamarko Pickett - and stalled any and all momentum the basketball program had. It was a self-inflicted wound that served no tangible purpose.
Last edited by rebeljim on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
GtownRebel
All American
All American

This is crazy on Vitter's part. Ole Miss builds a new area that costs millions and sabotages the head coach's top 16 recruiting class. So to me that tells me that although you physically build a great facility on the grounds of Ole Miss, you really don't support the sport at all...it is all for show. That frankly is pitiful in my eyes. Vitter is the problem, not AK.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I've been saying vitter is a pos, and I'm not saying that just because of the bs surrounding our basketball program, which he doesn't support. It's bad enough he goes around changing names on streets and things, but does he have to put phrases on them? Gives it that liberal appearance. Until we do something about the IHL, we can continue to expect such. They are responsible for vitter. Look on their board, tell me how many Ole Miss alumni and how many dogs. U won't like what u see.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:02 pm I've been saying vitter is a pos, and I'm not saying that just because of the bs surrounding our basketball program, which he doesn't support. It's bad enough he goes around changing names on streets and things, but does he have to put phrases on them? Gives it that liberal appearance. Until we do something about the IHL, we can continue to expect such. They are responsible for vitter. Look on their board, tell me how many Ole Miss alumni and how many dogs. U won't like what u see.
12 members on the board. 3 of them have degrees from MSU, 4 of them have degrees from Ole Miss. Oh, and 3 have degrees from USM. And just to satisfy your curiosity, and make the math add up, 1 has a degree from Lipscomb and 1 from Tougaloo.

Side note, I'm not defending Vitter and wouldn't mind him being gone tomorrow.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A poster asked Ben if our recent recruiting success has any bearing on AK's future as our coach.

I don't think the current recruiting success tells us much of anything one way or another on that end. Basically, the staff is landing talented, ranked prospects despite having one hand tied behind their backs. That's it.
As far as his future, it's every bit as in limbo as before. The administration drew a line. If Ole Miss wins this year (and there's more preseason confidence in this team than any other I've covered in 10 years) and makes the tournament, it's going to have to pay up. I'm not just talking about AK. The administration is going to actually have to follow through on bumping up the assistant bonus pool and everything else.
People aren't happy.
We'll see. Just enjoy the current recruiting success and what could be an exciting season. The spring will be interesting though.