AK Farewell Tour

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Well I would have sympathy if this was high school and he had to coach with the kids there, but these are kids HE recruited and signed. Let Rahim be the interim if you are having problems with effort...
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:59 pm Back from the game. Really *beep* off. We are one ignorant basketball team. The IQ on this team is really low. Davis has NO basketball sense, none. We quit getting the ball inside during OT, why I don't know. That's what got us back in the game, and fouled out half their team. Throw the stupid ball to Stevens, crap. This team just has never jelled, unlike most all other AK teams. Haven't checked, but don't think we've ever had this record this far into this season before under Andy. Seems the team has no leader, doesn't have that go to guy down the stretch, and until today, no inside presence. And way too many times, the players ain't on the same page. Just haven't jelled. Worst start under Andy.
This had been true of most every Ole Miss team for years. It may be worse and more noticeable this year, but many on here have been complaining about these problems for years and were told they just hated AK.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We could be 2/3 years into rebuild with a new coach. But, instead we just sat back and claimed mediocrity is the best we can do. Maybe it is, but that doesn't mean we have to settle for it.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:51 am
rebeljim wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:59 pm Back from the game. Really *beep* off. We are one ignorant basketball team. The IQ on this team is really low. Davis has NO basketball sense, none. We quit getting the ball inside during OT, why I don't know. That's what got us back in the game, and fouled out half their team. Throw the stupid ball to Stevens, crap. This team just has never jelled, unlike most all other AK teams. Haven't checked, but don't think we've ever had this record this far into this season before under Andy. Seems the team has no leader, doesn't have that go to guy down the stretch, and until today, no inside presence. And way too many times, the players ain't on the same page. Just haven't jelled. Worst start under Andy.
This had been true of most every Ole Miss team for years. It may be worse and more noticeable this year, but many on here have been complaining about these problems for years and were told they just hated AK.
Our three OT losses were by two, three and four points. We missed 9 free throws in the first loss, 11 free throws in the second loss and 9 free throws in yesterday's loss. If we make a few more free throws in each game, we win and wind up being 8-2 instead of 5-5. I'm going to the state game, but after that, I'm done until we improve. And won't go to ANY games once Andy is gone until the new coach proves he can take us to another level. And there are haters when it comes to our basketball program. Andy was done wrong by our administration, and the program will have to win me back before I support it after this year. And I have major doubt another coach will take us to another level. Major doubt.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am
Our three OT losses were by two, three and four points. We missed 9 free throws in the first loss, 11 free throws in the second loss and 9 free throws in yesterday's loss. If we make a few more free throws in each game, we win and wind up being 8-2 instead of 5-5. I'm going to the state game, but after that, I'm done until we improve. And won't go to ANY games once Andy is gone until the new coach proves he can take us to another level. And there are haters when it comes to our basketball program. Andy was done wrong by our administration, and the program will have to win me back before I support it after this year. And I have major doubt another coach will take us to another level. Major doubt.
The only thing that confuses me, are you scared somebody will take us from below average, to very below average? We have a state of the art arena and have wasted it for going on 3 years..
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am
So basically your loyalties are with AK and not Ole Miss. That must be one hell of a community you two are from. Back each other up til death.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Wrong Eric, *beep* off at vitter for the way he did the program, and not giving Andy a chance to recruit to the Pavilion. I probably go to more games than anyone on here. Also closer than most. But the way vitter has done, I'm through until we put a tourney team on the floor. Course I could change my mind as time goes by. But right now, I'm done. Andy's gone, one way or the other. I said that before the season started. Good year or bad, I think Andy was either leaving on his own, or being fired. And my 2 tickets won't bring the program to it's knees. But I don't like what went down, and I have my right to sit home and watch on tv, what most on here do anyway.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Write-up from Ben.

In the preseason, on paper, Andy Kennedy had what appeared to be one of, if not his best teams in his 12-year tenure as Ole Miss head coach.

But games aren’t won on paper.

Terence Davis was inarguably the most-improved player in the SEC last season; his first playing regular, meaningful minutes. Kennedy has long preached of how the greatest improvement for a player usually occurs from year one to year two. Davis has been stuck in neutral. Too often he’s gotten away from his skill-set as a slasher and rim-attacker. He’s settled for 3s, and his shot selection has been head-scratching at best and downright awful at worst. His defense, improved but still not where it needs to be, has suffered as a result.

Once Breein Tyree was healthy last January, he settled in as the team’s regular point guard. His presence solved what had been the biggest problem area for the Rebels last season. With no lead guard, the Rebels were, many nights, lost at sea without an oar. But he came on, and though turnovers were an issue, he flashed All-SEC potential. He was supposed to take off a year later. Breakout season. His explosion and athleticism, long lauded by coaches and players alike, was going to shine through. It hasn’t.

Dominik Olejniczak was going to be the ready-made replacement for Sebastian Saiz — not on the offensive end, but surely a step up defensively. At 7-foot, 255 pounds, he was billed as a natural rim protecter and post wall, at the very least. So far, no. He’s barely getting on the floor anymore after opening the season as a starter.

Deandre Burnett is the same player through 10 games that he was all of last season — a volume shooter whose value is nil if his shot isn’t going in. Markel Crawford has been solid enough, but his shooting hasn’t been close to consistent. Bruce Stevens is a strong player in the post with the ball in his hands, but his defense is, well, poor.

On and on and on. I fully expected this Ole Miss team to not only drastically outperform its preseason SEC ranking of 10th, but to reach the NCAA Tournament and potentially make some noise when it got there. I said as much. I was encouraged, if not stubborn in my convictions, after the first three games. The Rebels had some early-season red flags (all of which hold true today), but I thought they’d get better with time. A team with new faces figuring itself out and all that.

I was wrong.

“Disaster,” Kennedy said postgame. “This is a disaster. I’m responsible for it.”

Here the Rebels are, 5-5 following its third overtime loss at home this season, this time to Illinois State, and all the issues remain the same. On defense, effort and angles. On offense, poor shot selection, efficiency, pace, you name it. On 50/50 balls, effort. On the glass, effort and want-to.

Yes, Ole Miss scheduled competitively in the non-league. Yes, there are opportunities aplenty to build a postseason resume in a suddenly-formidable SEC filled with NCAA Tournament hopefuls 1-14. Yes, Ole Miss can rebound, especially if Davis returns to form and Burnett rediscovers his efficiency and …. you get the idea. All those things are true.

But this 10-game sample has given no indication that Ole Miss is capable of such a turnaround. So while those things are true, that doesn’t mean they’re realistic, not even remotely so. Not right now. Not after the fifth non-league loss of the season, unheard of in the previous 11 seasons under Kennedy. Ole Miss is in uncharted territory.

And it’s territory few, if any, saw coming, this writer especially.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

They were talking on head to head earlier about how Southern Illinois best two players fouled out of the game before OT... Bruce Stevens did not touch the ball on the game winning attempt and only touched the ball once during OT. He had 27 and Southern Illinois did not have a player on the court taller than 6'6... That has nothing to do with the administration being against you or any other excuse. That just falls on coaching..
Chucky_38
All American
All American

It's such a tough topic for me. On one hand yes, AK is solely responsible for our record. We do seem to be wasting potential. However, we haven't had a losing season in 12 years. We've won the third most SEC games of any SEC team not named UK or UF in the last 12 years. We are not below average. We are above average. By definition alone. I'm not sure we can hire a coach that can duplicate the amount of wins AK has piled up. But, I'm ready to find out. For better or worse, it's time for OM and AK to part ways.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:42 pm It's such a tough topic for me. On one hand yes, AK is solely responsible for our record. We do seem to be wasting potential. However, we haven't had a losing season in 12 years. We've won the third most SEC games of any SEC team not named UK or UF in the last 12 years. We are not below average. We are above average. By definition alone. I'm not sure we can hire a coach that can duplicate the amount of wins AK has piled up. But, I'm ready to find out. For better or worse, it's time for OM and AK to part ways.
Point noted, but where do we rank in NCAA tourney appearances among league teams during the previous 12 seasons?
Chucky_38
All American
All American

MageeRebel425 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:43 pm
Chucky_38 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:42 pm It's such a tough topic for me. On one hand yes, AK is solely responsible for our record. We do seem to be wasting potential. However, we haven't had a losing season in 12 years. We've won the third most SEC games of any SEC team not named UK or UF in the last 12 years. We are not below average. We are above average. By definition alone. I'm not sure we can hire a coach that can duplicate the amount of wins AK has piled up. But, I'm ready to find out. For better or worse, it's time for OM and AK to part ways.
Point noted, but where do we rank in NCAA tourney appearances among league teams during the previous 12 seasons?
I don't know but it's only 2 so it can't be too high. But then what is the barometer for success if we are using NCAA tourney appearances? 4 in 12 years? 6? 8? What should we realistically expect from this program? I want to believe we are capable of more than 2 every 12 years. But I have no clue what the number should be.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 am
MageeRebel425 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:43 pm
I don't know but it's only 2 so it can't be too high. But then what is the barometer for success if we are using NCAA tourney appearances? 4 in 12 years? 6? 8? What should we realistically expect from this program? I want to believe we are capable of more than 2 every 12 years. But I have no clue what the number should be.
You said it, more than 2 in 12 years....
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Rebs get a win over SC to open sec play. Didn’t get to watch it, but good to see we started off conference play right.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Watched the game. Still have no rebounding. But a good win none the less. On to the next game in Andy's farewell tour.