AK Farewell Tour

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 pm It can get a lot worse. This hire is huge. It’s going to be very difficult for a coach to do what we are asking of him here.

I think the majority of fans are wanting to just see real basketball. Most fans are not asking for a ton, just a tourney appearance every few years. Considering we now have facilities in the top half of power 5 conferences, what is so difficult about this job?
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Chucky_38 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 pm It can get a lot worse. This hire is huge. It’s going to be very difficult for a coach to do what we are asking of him here.
It only gets worse if you’re a numbers guy. His 20 won seasons mean jack crap in reality. Where did they get us?? A couple of NCAA appearances...yea we might as well have won 10 games those other years. Again, how can it get worse? Ok, we could have 1 appearance....
Chucky_38
All American
All American

To me, 20 wins and winning records are better than losing records. I’d rather have a program that wins games consistently instead of one that has losing records every year. That’s worse to me than what we’ve been. Kinda like when State was so happy to be rid of Stansbury only to have Rick Ray. They got much worse. I just don’t understand why anyone would think 10-20 is the same as 20-10. But that’s just me. I think AK hit the programs ceiling. But we get to find out now.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 am To me, 20 wins and winning records are better than losing records. I’d rather have a program that wins games consistently instead of one that has losing records every year. That’s worse to me than what we’ve been. Kinda like when State was so happy to be rid of Stansbury only to have Rick Ray. They got much worse. I just don’t understand why anyone would think 10-20 is the same as 20-10. But that’s just me. I think AK hit the programs ceiling. But we get to find out now.
Stansbury ran that into the ground and Rick Ray was brought into the worst situation imaginable. He had 6 scholarship players (those guys beat AK, twice, btw..) Hats off to Ak for how he handled yesterday, but I agree with him, he ultimately is accountable... We have a few folks on here that make excuses for him, that he doesn't make for himself. It was time for a change and a change happened.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am
Chucky_38 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 am To me, 20 wins and winning records are better than losing records. I’d rather have a program that wins games consistently instead of one that has losing records every year. That’s worse to me than what we’ve been. Kinda like when State was so happy to be rid of Stansbury only to have Rick Ray. They got much worse. I just don’t understand why anyone would think 10-20 is the same as 20-10. But that’s just me. I think AK hit the programs ceiling. But we get to find out now.
Stansbury ran that into the ground and Rick Ray was brought into the worst situation imaginable. He had 6 scholarship players (those guys beat AK, twice, btw..) Hats off to Ak for how he handled yesterday, but I agree with him, he ultimately is accountable... We have a few folks on here that make excuses for him, that he doesn't make for himself. It was time for a change and a change happened.
Since I'm pretty sure u are talking about me, I'll answer. What *beep* me off is he was NEVER given a fair chance to show what he could do with the Pavilion. His one and only year he had to recruit to it without restrictions, he brought in the 16th rated class in the country. That is dad gum good for us. Doubt we ever had that high of a class in our history. He both EARNED and DESERVED that chance, and our sorry chancellor decided not to give it to him, thanks to hunter carpenter, and his power point presentation. Now if he still couldn't have taken us to that next step after a couple of years in the Pavilion, then replace him. BUT, he should have been given that chance. I'll be at the March 3rd game against vandy, to send AK off. Then I won't go to another game until either vitter is gone, or I know the team I'm going to see will be in the tourney that year. Until then, I'll watch them on the tellie.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Sure, a 20 win season is “better” than a 10 win season. That’s easy. But, what makes it better than a 10 win season, other than being able to say you won 20 games, if you miss the tourney? Nothing. It’s smoke and mirrors to hide a bad offensive coach and beating weak teams just to get to 20 wins. Hang the banners!! AK brought in some talent, I’ll give him that, but he couldn’t coach them. To say any different would be asinine..,.i watched them play too many times. I wish him nothing but the best in the future.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 pm
MageeRebel425 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am
Since I'm pretty sure u are talking about me, I'll answer. What *beep* me off is he was NEVER given a fair chance to show what he could do with the Pavilion. His one and only year he had to recruit to it without restrictions, he brought in the 16th rated class in the country. That is dad gum good for us. Doubt we ever had that high of a class in our history. He both EARNED and DESERVED that chance, and our sorry chancellor decided not to give it to him, thanks to hunter carpenter, and his power point presentation. Now if he still couldn't have taken us to that next step after a couple of years in the Pavilion, then replace him. BUT, he should have been given that chance. I'll be at the March 3rd game against vandy, to send AK off. Then I won't go to another game until either vitter is gone, or I know the team I'm going to see will be in the tourney that year. Until then, I'll watch them on the tellie.
Still, I can't count how many times you've called me a 'bad' fan for wanting a new coach. And now that AK is gone, you are bailing on Ole Miss. Call it whatever you want, but that's what you're doing. At least admit and don't cover it up in some hatred for Vitter. I don't like Vitter, either.
Some Random Dude
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

AK had more than 1 year to recruit to the Pavilion. Genies did not build it.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 am AK had more than 1 year to recruit to the Pavilion. Genies did not build it.
If u want to count the half year we played when it first open, that'll make 2 years. This past class he had the "coach won't be with u for your whole career" stigma around his neck. So he didn't have any support for that class. Hard to recruit top recruits whem opposing coaches have that kind of ammo to use against u. So his one and only full season he had to recruit to the Pavilion, 16th rated class in the country. Who's to say he wouldn't have continued that recruiting success if he had support from the administration. Armstrong did get LSU'S top 2 freshmen this past year. I think we were on our way of up addng our talent when vitter stuck his ignorant nose in Bjork's business.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:10 pm
MageeRebel425 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 am AK had more than 1 year to recruit to the Pavilion. Genies did not build it.
If u want to count the half year we played when it first open, that'll make 2 years. This past class he had the "coach won't be with u for your whole career" stigma around his neck. So he didn't have any support for that class. Hard to recruit top recruits whem opposing coaches have that kind of ammo to use against u. So his one and only full season he had to recruit to the Pavilion, 16th rated class in the country. Who's to say he wouldn't have continued that recruiting success if he had support from the administration. Armstrong did get LSU'S top 2 freshmen this past year. I think we were on our way of up addng our talent when vitter stuck his ignorant nose in Bjork's business.
That's BS. He would've easily been extended if he had just won this year. He made it public that they didn't extend him. Who's fault is that? Of course, it's probably not AK's.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm sure he was the one to make it public, I'd done the same thing. U know it *beep* him off not getting an extension, with both Freeze and Bianco getting one. Neither deserved it. I know he would've been given one if this year had been different. Point being, it never should have come to that. Bjork and some of the few big boosters wanted Andy to get the extension. Armstrong wouldn't have left, neither would the 2 recruits. Very good chance this past recruiting season would've been better than it was, and maybe this year wouldn't have turned out so bad. Have no idea if it would or not, but strange we would have this kind of season after vitter, when we never had anything close to this season under Andy. I think the program would be in much better shape right now if vitter had done like he was suppose to. Next year will probably be bad after some players leave, and some signees as well. I really hope Smith doesn't just my ship. Think he's gonna be a good one, but fully expect him to jump. And if Nike doesn't start helping us with recruiting, and we don't start being serious about basketball, as in "play the game", doubt much changes. If anything, think we'll regress.