Printer Problems

Computer related discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I'm very computer illiterate, so if you've got a solution to my problem please answer slowly! :D My printer (Lexmark X75) won't print in black print. Even though the black ink level was about 60%, I went ahead and put in a new black ink cartridge. Didn't help. I've had to resort to printing all my documents in color, but I've got some that I've got to use for a formal presentation and they must be in black ink. Any idea what my problem is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

CrossroadsReb wrote:I'm very computer illiterate, so if you've got a solution to my problem please answer slowly! :D My printer (Lexmark X75) won't print in black print. Even though the black ink level was about 60%, I went ahead and put in a new black ink cartridge. Didn't help. I've had to resort to printing all my documents in color, but I've got some that I've got to use for a formal presentation and they must be in black ink. Any idea what my problem is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
the first thing I would try is to reinstall the printer driver or see if there is a newer driver for your computer. Next I would try to "Borrow" another printer and see if the problem solves itself... the printer might be bad although You didn't mention how old the printer is.
Later,
Hagar
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I work on computers on the side and anytime someone comes to me and starts a sentence with "my modem..." or "my printer..." I start backing away. Printers and (phone line) modems are the hardest two things to fix, IMO, because you can never start diagnosing the problem the same way twice.

With the cost of inkjet printers these days, I say just go get a new printer at Wal-Mart. In some cases it'll cost less than the price you just paid for the black ink cartridge. Also, if it's not the drivers like Hagar said, it'll probably be easier and cheaper to replace the printer.

Hagar does bring up a good point. Perhaps your computer has something funny going on with it. But that's a long shot. If you borrow another printer it'll probably work once you install it.
GO REBELS!!!
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

I hate to say it and this is not much different from the previous two responses, but the problem is likely the printer. Of course there could be driver issues, etc. With that being said Lexmark printers are relatively inexpensive. They give you a printer so they can sell printer cartridges. Printers have essentially become disposable items.

I assume you opened your printer preferences and tried to troubleshoot from there and see if the computer could clue you in to the problem? But like Hagar and oxfordrebel said you are almost better off trying a different printer.
03rebs

Like Hagar mentioned the age may be a factor. If the printer is less than 3 years old, before I buy another, I would "uninstall" the printer software, disconnect the printer, and then reinstall/connect per the printer's software instructions.

I have always used HP printers (the cheaper ones at that) and never had a problem. If you do decide to get a new printer and depending on your budget, HP makes a C4280 which you can pick up at Best Buy, Circuit City, as well as the office stores like Office Max. etc. It's a pretty decent printer for under $90. Consumer Reports gave it fairly high marks for its category.

Let us know how it turns out. :)
Forward Rebels!
jason101
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hi folks, we are looking to possibly purchase an HP CP4005 Series Color LaserJet Printer where I work. We currently have 3 Xerox color printers and a Dell color printer. Does anyone have any experience with this model of HP printer, especially in comparison to Xeros 6200/6300 series and Dell 5110cn. Has anyone used an HP CP4005 Series Color LaserJet Printer? Thank you.

Most HP color lasers are decent.