slow PCs

Computer related discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Have a linux and a windows xp. both run very slow, now 9last week or two). Can't watch streaming video for crap. takes 1-3 minutes to post messages like this one. Have DSL, BTW.
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you run any hard drive tests? How hot is the CPU getting?

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RushB wrote:Have you run any hard drive tests? How hot is the CPU getting?

Later,
RushB
Unlike the windows 98 I had (which is now the Linux) and the Vista (which is now in need of a new hard drive)...I really don't know how to run tests or perform maintenance on either of these.
------------------

How long has it been since you blew the dust out of the inside of your computer? That can cause it to run warm/hot and will definitely slow things down.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Sasquatch wrote:How long has it been since you blew the dust out of the inside of your computer? That can cause it to run warm/hot and will definitely slow things down.
Couple of months, for sure...and we have indoor animals! I'll get the old air mattress pump out...it blows a good stream of air...and try that.
------------------

rebelliousb wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:How long has it been since you blew the dust out of the inside of your computer? That can cause it to run warm/hot and will definitely slow things down.
Couple of months, for sure...and we have indoor animals! I'll get the old air mattress pump out...it blows a good stream of air...and try that.
I've got dogs in my house and they produce a ridiculous amount of dust. Around Thanksgiving, my PC starting running really slow...it was almost like the amount of RAM had been cut by over half. Opened up the case...I was shocked at the amount of dust that had built up. Took it out on the front porch and hooked up my Shop Vac in blower mode...I must have spent at least 10 minutes blowing out dust. But when I finished it worked just fine.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

downloaded "Advanced System Care Free edition" Still haven't blown it out, but already it is faster. Impressive..does spyware, cleanup, defrags, clean registry, privacy sweeps and a lot more.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][img]http ... .png[/img][/url]

this is Terrible. Third world wind up PC's are faster than this.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Which level of DSL do you have? I've got Extreme 6.0 and I'm loving it.

But over the last few weeks the DSL has gotten slower. I'm wondering if it's a MS ATT thing. You're in MS, right?
GO REBELS!!!
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

You know, it is funny that you mention this. I live in the Atlanta area and I have noticed that my AT&T DSL is slower as well.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote:Which level of DSL do you have? I've got Extreme 6.0 and I'm loving it.

But over the last few weeks the DSL has gotten slower. I'm wondering if it's a MS ATT thing. You're in MS, right?
yes, but a small private phone company.
03rebs

rebelliousb, do you use any utilities to clean up temp files, cookies, etc?

If not, you may try it as it helps me. I use AceUtilities. They have a freeware good for 7 days (CNET) or maybe even a month. I bought the software about 4 years ago for about $30 and you get lifetime upgrades. It does a real good job of cleaning out the Windows registry, eliminating junk files, etc. Also, you can scrub a file, folder or drive clean.
AceUtility

As for the DSL thing, I have Verizon, and it too has gotten slower over the last few months. With more and more people switching to HSI it's bound to have an impact.
Forward Rebels!
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

03rebs wrote:rebelliousb, do you use any utilities to clean up temp files, cookies, etc?

If not, you may try it as it helps me. I use AceUtilities. They have a freeware good for 7 days (CNET) or maybe even a month. I bought the software about 4 years ago for about $30 and you get lifetime upgrades. It does a real good job of cleaning out the Windows registry, eliminating junk files, etc. Also, you can scrub a file, folder or drive clean.
AceUtility

As for the DSL thing, I have Verizon, and it too has gotten slower over the last few months. With more and more people switching to HSI it's bound to have an impact.
I do now, I 'm using Smart Defrag and the cleanup utilities on Advanced System Care. Helped a lot, especially the defragmenter...which is much faster than the one installed at the factory.
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

You could have a malware problem on your windows unit. It tends to slow things down.