Printer cartridge question

Computer related discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I have a printer in a vacation home and one in our permanent residence. We sometimes spend several months in Tennessee before returning to our vacation home. This time, when we returned to Florida, my print jobs were very "streaky" at first. I ran the Clean Cartridge routine several times, but it really didn't help much. I finally decided to print a multi-page document several times to see if that would help and that worked.

Here's my question...we are returning to Tennessee on Sunday and won't be back here until July. I thought I might remove the cartridges, put them in a baggie and store them in the refrigerator while we are gone. Does anyone know if this would help? Or hurt?
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Memphis Jack wrote:Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try.
I could run down there in say...June and check on them for you. just tell me where the key is, and give me the address. Wouldn't dream of charging you anything.
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Probably not your cup of tea! Our house is in The Villages about an hour north of Orlando. If you watch golf, you have probably seen their commercials. The nearest beaches are about 2 hours to the Atlantic coast and 1 1/2 hours to the Gulf coast.

The Villages is a 55+ community, primarily retirees. It's very large. Picture 77,000 seniors tooling around in customized golf carts, on bicycles and motor cycles, in restored classic cars and walking/running incessantly. There are eleven country clubs and about thirty Executive golf courses. I've been told that over two MILLION rounds of golf were played last year!

It's a great place, but not your typical Florida beach vacation spot. You should check it out, if you're in the area.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Memphis Jack wrote:Probably not your cup of tea! Our house is in The Villages about an hour north of Orlando. If you watch golf, you have probably seen their commercials. The nearest beaches are about 2 hours to the Atlantic coast and 1 1/2 hours to the Gulf coast.

The Villages is a 55+ community, primarily retirees. It's very large. Picture 77,000 seniors tooling around in customized golf carts, on bicycles and motor cycles, in restored classic cars and walking/running incessantly. There are eleven country clubs and about thirty Executive golf courses. I've been told that over two MILLION rounds of golf were played last year!

It's a great place, but not your typical Florida beach vacation spot. You should check it out, if you're in the area.
might be after all. that sixpack i used to sport on the beach is slowly (thankfully) turning into a keg. I used to go way way out into the ocean or gulf...too old for that crap. and those young girls I used to look at are now my daughters (and grand daughter coming along in age)
Any way sounds like a nice place 11 or 12 months out of the year.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I'm not sure about the fridge, but if you will cap the ink spouts on the cartridges then that will help to keep them from drying out while you're gone.

Or you could leave them in the printer and turn the printer off. That will park the print head and help keep them from drying out.
GO REBELS!!!
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Thanks, OxfordReb. I may try that next time.

I didn't read your suggestion until today (3/30) and we're already back in the Memphis area. I put the two cartridges in a baggie and stuck them in the refrigerator. I'll report back on this thread what I find when we go back in July.
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

The refrigerator storage thing worked like a charm. We came down to Florida on July 1. I got my computer all hooked up the next day and the printer produced documents the very first time as though the print cartridges were new. That will be my departure routine from now on.
------------------

The fridge trick is also great for paint brushes and rollers when using latex paint. A roller or brush will stay wet and flexible for up to a week if you wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in the fridge.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Sasquatch wrote:The fridge trick is also great for paint brushes and rollers when using latex paint. A roller or brush will stay wet and flexible for up to a week if you wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in the fridge.
a month in a sealed plastic container or half gallon zip lock