Preseason Rankings Overview

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Heath wrote:I think Ferguson will be ok. It is hard to come into the SEC and do really well as a freshman. I think he will be ok. BUT, would you guys rather have a guy who is a really good fielder and ok at the plate, OR would you rather have a boy that may not have the fielding ability or arm strength, but is much better at the plate? I would rather have someone that may make a few more errors in a season, but drives in a lot more runs.
I'm on the flip side, but it depends on your philosophy. I'm a believer of defense. I want great pitchers with rock-solid fielders behind him even if that means sacrificing power (and runs) at the plate. The DH will give a little help in that area and I still believe that defense wins games, even in baseball.

You're right that it's so tough of a FR to come into the SEC and perform well. Ferguson will be improved, but I'm not sure if he'll keep the starting role or not. Only time will tell how much the off-season has helped. Who knows? He might turn out to be great this year. I've doubted players in the past due to their previous seasons and they've come back and surprised me. Kline and Bittle both come to mind as players I dreaded to see enter the game at one time, but then all of a sudden they came on to be two of the best we've seen. But no fielders come to mind right off.
GO REBELS!!!
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Fergie will be fine. He has been moved to third base. His glove hasn't been his problem, throws have. At 3rd, the ball gets there much quicker but allows the player to step into his throw and take his time. From what Fergie and other players have said, he is doing much better in the field this year.
Pythias
Water Boy
Water Boy

rebeldevotee wrote:As much as I like this and I really really do considering the players that we lost, I remember last year being very similar and it might have been the most disappointing year of the Bianco era.
What??? Wait, I though last year was just a bad dream......sigh.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

rebeldevotee wrote:As much as I like this and I really really do considering the players that we lost, I remember last year being very similar and it might have been the most disappointing year of the Bianco era.
Hitting will be the key this year as it was the key last year. We have the pitchers, but in college baseball, you have to score runs and we have been lacking in that department and in a steady decline in run production the last 4 years. I think it is because Bianco wants to play long ball, but the folks he recruits are not known to be long ball hitters. If we don't play small ball this year like we didn't last year, then moving on to the CWS will be more luck than skill.
Last edited by GtownRebel on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

GtownRebel wrote:
Hitting will be the key this year as it was the key last year. We have the pitchers, but in college baseball, you have to score runs and we have been lacking in that department and in a steady decline in run production the last 4 years. I think it is because Bianco wants to play long ball, but the folks he recruits are not known to be long ball hitters. If we don't play small ball this year like we didn't last year, then moving on the CWS will be more luck than skill.
You hit the nail on the head. Small ball is critical with this club and it has to be executed well.

Our guys just need to focus on solid base hits and a double where they can get it. We're not going to get a ton of HRs and small ball is tough to execute well. Solid singles and doubles are the name of the game and that's going to take patience at the plate.
GO REBELS!!!