Central Arkansas

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Redbluedude wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:For my $0.02 worth on the first-pitch thing, it depends on the situation. And if you're ever going to tell your batters to watch the first pitch, the situation Tuesday was the perfect situation to do that. If I'm not mistaken we loaded the bases due to either one or two walks. I do remember that the pitcher had lost some control and was not hitting the zone too well at that point. I think it was a smart move to watch the first pitch because at that particular time the pitcher wanted to get ahead in the count due to loaded bases, but he also didn't want to send a potential grand slam to the plate. So while he did end up throwing two down the middle on first pitch (gutsy call by the pitcher, IMO), if you're the batter you could very well anticipate him either throwing a ball to prevent a big hit, or just plain losing control and throwing a ball that was intended to be a strike on the edge. The hitters had the advantage and to watch that first pitch was a good thought when the pitcher was throwing balls almost 70% of his pitches at that particular point. Their pitcher just got lucky and won the battle with two of our guys.

But that's just my opinion. As a general rule I would NEVER tell my hitters to ALWAYS watch the first one. But in certain circumstances, maybe.
I agree, the situation dictates the strategy. If these were the 7,8 and 9 batters, then maybe have them take the first pitch or first strike. But these were our #2 and #3 hitters, guys who put the bat on the ball and put the ball in play. I'd have given them the green light. Maybe they had it and just didn't swing, but it would be difficult to lay off a grooved fastball if they were swinging away.

It just reminded me of last year when we had guys at 2nd or 3rd with 1 out or less and we were not aggressive at the plate, got behind in counts and ended up squandering scoring opportunities.
But also remember that last season we got TOO aggressive at the plate too often and went after poor pitches. It takes a good balance of when to be aggressive and when to be patient. That's why I'm glad I'm not a hitting coach. :D
GO REBELS!!!
Heath
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:For my $0.02 worth on the first-pitch thing, it depends on the situation. And if you're ever going to tell your batters to watch the first pitch, the situation Tuesday was the perfect situation to do that. If I'm not mistaken we loaded the bases due to either one or two walks. I do remember that the pitcher had lost some control and was not hitting the zone too well at that point. I think it was a smart move to watch the first pitch because at that particular time the pitcher wanted to get ahead in the count due to loaded bases, but he also didn't want to send a potential grand slam to the plate. So while he did end up throwing two down the middle on first pitch (gutsy call by the pitcher, IMO), if you're the batter you could very well anticipate him either throwing a ball to prevent a big hit, or just plain losing control and throwing a ball that was intended to be a strike on the edge. The hitters had the advantage and to watch that first pitch was a good thought when the pitcher was throwing balls almost 70% of his pitches at that particular point. Their pitcher just got lucky and won the battle with two of our guys.

But that's just my opinion. As a general rule I would NEVER tell my hitters to ALWAYS watch the first one. But in certain circumstances, maybe.
I agree, the situation dictates the strategy. If these were the 7,8 and 9 batters, then maybe have them take the first pitch or first strike. But these were our #2 and #3 hitters, guys who put the bat on the ball and put the ball in play. I'd have given them the green light. Maybe they had it and just didn't swing, but it would be difficult to lay off a grooved fastball if they were swinging away.

It just reminded me of last year when we had guys at 2nd or 3rd with 1 out or less and we were not aggressive at the plate, got behind in counts and ended up squandering scoring opportunities.
But also remember that last season we got TOO aggressive at the plate too often and went after poor pitches. It takes a good balance of when to be aggressive and when to be patient. That's why I'm glad I'm not a hitting coach. :D
Well, look at the South Alabama game last weekend. We scored 2 runs and had only 2 Ks, if I'm not mistaken. So, we still may be in this swinging at bad pitches mindset....and pitchers probably love that because it reduces their pitch count. I'm just thinking, if only 2 guys strike out, and only 2 runs were scored the whole game, then someone is hitting the ball either down in the ground or straight up in the air.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

Heath wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:
Redbluedude wrote: I agree, the situation dictates the strategy. If these were the 7,8 and 9 batters, then maybe have them take the first pitch or first strike. But these were our #2 and #3 hitters, guys who put the bat on the ball and put the ball in play. I'd have given them the green light. Maybe they had it and just didn't swing, but it would be difficult to lay off a grooved fastball if they were swinging away.

Well, look at the South Alabama game last weekend. We scored 2 runs and had only 2 Ks, if I'm not mistaken. So, we still may be in this swinging at bad pitches mindset....and pitchers probably love that because it reduces their pitch count. I'm just thinking, if only 2 guys strike out, and only 2 runs were scored the whole game, then someone is hitting the ball either down in the ground or straight up in the air.
Painfully, I could not agree more.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Heath wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:
Redbluedude wrote: I agree, the situation dictates the strategy. If these were the 7,8 and 9 batters, then maybe have them take the first pitch or first strike. But these were our #2 and #3 hitters, guys who put the bat on the ball and put the ball in play. I'd have given them the green light. Maybe they had it and just didn't swing, but it would be difficult to lay off a grooved fastball if they were swinging away.

Like I said, I'm glad I'm not the hitting coach! :P

If we're debating it like this, just imagine what's going on in the coaches' and players' minds!
GO REBELS!!!