Rumor on David Huertas

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I wasn't crazy about Huertas, but totally dismissing the loss of our leading scorer and 2nd team all-SEC player is a bit crazy if you ask me.

We're acting like a bunch of Bama fans when they lost Massie. 'Oh, well they wouldn't have started next year anyways'. 'Well, I didn't like him, we don't need him.'

This IS a big deal if you ask me. They both started. That's experience we're losing. If nothing else, they could've provided VERY quality minutes next year.
Some Random Dude
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Actually no it is not a big deal. You know Huertas had screaming matches with AK on the sidleine. In any situation when your dealing with a bunch a young men you have to soldify authority. Don't look at his PPG, if our three guards were healthy he you can cut his numbers in half. When kids see a player defy the coach, how in the world do you think that coach can keep control? We have so much talent, lets not cry over losing a premadonna. Think Iverson.

The Rod Barnes era is over, we don't rely on just 2-3 players and 1 superstar anymore. Even with the loss of these 2 we are deeper than we have ever been.

We will be fine next season, and for years to come with this group.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

This reminds me of when Ethan Flatt skipped out on his senior year to go to law school. Tragic.
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

There's nothing we can do about it anyways. We might as well look to the future and hope that nobody else leaves. This could be a very good team next year...with or without Huertas.

The ONLY reason I feel queasy about this is because of how it looks to recruits and others watching the program...It seems that people are jumping ship, and we can't really find the leak that's making everyone freak out.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
------------------

dgmcdowe wrote:The ONLY reason I feel queasy about this is because of how it looks to recruits and others watching the program...It seems that people are jumping ship, and we can't really find the leak that's making everyone freak out.
In the case of Huertas, I think it looks much worse for him personally that for the program. Remember, this makes the SECOND time he's jumped ship from an SEC program.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

dgmcdowe wrote: The ONLY reason I feel queasy about this is because of how it looks to recruits and others watching the program...It seems that people are jumping ship, and we can't really find the leak that's making everyone freak out.
Exactly! That's my biggest concern.

Huertas is leaving for money this time, and I doubt anyone here knows his situation at home. Maybe his family really needs the money. Maybe he knows his role will diminish next year so he took the money and ran. I don't think any of us know.

But to totally dismiss losing our leading scorer and second leading rebound in a month is arrogant. And we have nothing to be arrogant about in basketball.

You don't like Huertas, fine. And maybe he would've been a cancer next year. But he could also be a great asset to the team. And at the very least, White could provide good minutes in our front-court.

Some of you say we'll be fine and maybe we will. I don't know. More than anything else, I'd like to know why two starters have quit in a month. Why, when we were supposed to be decent this year until the injury bug hit, and we have the potential to be even better next year.

And what if White signs with LSU? I bet it'll be a big deal then.
Some Random Dude
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Leadership will be hurt by this. When Huertas was on, he was very effective. But hey, he graduates in May and feels like he is ready for the next chapter in his life. I hope he does well. White wanted the ball more and demanded it. He made the right move for himself too. You can't fault him for wanting to better himself and by moving to another might open the paths he is looking for to the NBA...it is a crap shoot and one he wants to take.

To say it doesn't effect the team is nuts. It will effect the team. Now we will see how this team can respond. Hopefully, no more injuries! I look forward to seeing this team play this fall.