left irwin in too long

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

mascott
3rd String
3rd String

:evil: seemed obvious to me irwin needed to be taken out in 6th, why won't bianco take pitchers out quicker, other coaches seem to.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

yep
Randy
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

morgan is great in relief
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

yep, again!
Randy
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Irwin was starting to lose his stuff in the 6th, but fought through. I've been one to criticize leaving a pitcher in too long in the past, but when you're in a tournament environment you don't have the luxury of pulling a guy just because he's in a jam. You just can't burn arms because you don't know how many games you're going to have to play. We all know it. I honestly think Bianco was trying to get to the 8th before putting in another pitcher, but Irwin just couldn't make it. Best case scenario is that we win tomorrow and we're done til next weekend. Worst case scenario is that we have 2 games left to play this weekend. If we have to play two more we're going to need fresh arms.

But it doesn't matter. Irwin pitched an absolute gem of a game and Morgan mowed through them. I was disappointed in Goforth that he didn't have any stuff at all, but Bianco did pull him in a hurry to keep WKU from getting more momentum built up. Goforth is still good to go should we need him tomorrow. Pitching-wise we're in excellent shape. I expect Buk to start and to be on a very short leash should he get into any trouble.
GO REBELS!!!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I totally understand your argument and agree in principle (plus you know this team a lot better than I do), it just seemed to me Irwin begin grooving them in the 6th, and with the firepower WKU has I didn't want to take any chances.
Randy
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Oh I agree. It was time for him to call it a night. I just understand why Bianco left him out there while he was struggling. I thought at that point he could have taken him out when he did or a couple of batters earlier and either would have been the "right" decision.

One day I'm going to have to sit down and do a good post on my thoughts on leaving a pitcher in vs taking him out. I sometimes agree with Bianco, I sometimes don't. But my cop-out response to all of it is, "that's why I'm glad I'm not the coach".
GO REBELS!!!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

No doubt, I would spend way too much time arguing with myself. 8O
Randy