WKU to play Ole Miss for Regional Championship

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

Well you guys know I'm not one to hold back after a typical Ole Miss choke job. So I won't here. Our season ended tonight. We had a chance to get to Omaha for real this time. An honest chance. And we blew it yet again. Make no mistake. We blew this game. Any intimidation WKU may have felt is gone now. They just beat us by scoring 9 runs in two innings with 10,000 Rebels screaming at them. We have NO pitching options tomorrow night. None. I expect us to give up at least 15-20 runs. We couldn't score that many if I was pitching to us.

This isn't Bianco's fault. Its Ole Miss'. We will never go to Omaha and we will never be elite in any sport. I'm completely fed up with our *beep*. That is it for me. I now expect nothing from baseball just like football. Get used to never being true champions.

Regardless if we somehow steal a win tomorrow we will get destroyed by whoever we face next week.

9 runs in two innings?
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Coach Bianco just announced that Drew Pomeranz will have to pitch tomorrow night and will pitch as far into the game as he can go. The WKU coach said his entire pitching staff will have to be available to pitch as many innings as they can get away with without needing a change. Tomorrow's game is going to be a very interesting game. I guess we will learn how the Rebels do under pressure because it is going to be there BIG TIME.
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

RichmondVAReb wrote:Coach Bianco just announced that Drew Pomeranz will have to pitch tomorrow night and will pitch as far into the game as he can go. The WKU coach said his entire pitching staff will have to be available to pitch as many innings as they can get away with without needing a change. Tomorrow's game is going to be a very interesting game. I guess we will learn how the Rebels do under pressure because it is going to be there BIG TIME.
I think we just learned that didn't we? :(
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

No comments on tonight's loss except to say I heard a MLB pitcher say the other day he expected to have at least one bad outing out of every 6. This was Morgan's. Honestly, I expected this last night, not tonight. At least there's one more game to play.

Tomorrow I agree with what was said before. I think you have to start Pom, even on 3 days rest as long as he feels okay, and ride him as long as you can before you call on Johnny Allstaff to get you through the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see both teams throw 5 or 6 guys each tomorrow night and I wouldn't hesitate a second either if I'm the coach. Get through tomorrow night then worry about how tonight happened once you've punched the ticket to the Supers.

Tonight was not the worst lost ever, but it ranks very high and will leave a very sour taste in mouths if it ends up being the next to the last game of the season. BUT,when we win tomorrow night then we need to put this game out of our minds completely and move forward.

We will win tomorrow night. The power of positive thinking.

And another thing. Saturday night when Irwin got in some trouble in the 6th the fans started yelling for him to be taken out and when Bianco went to pull him he got a very sarcastic round of applause (before he made the call to the umpire, so the intent was obvious). That had to be very demoralizing for Irwin and was a disgrace for our fanbase. Whether we agree with the decisions Bianco makes in the game or not, that is not the way to handle it. I hope our fans will realize that these are 18 - 22 year old young men who are doing their best in a very high-pressure situation. 10,000 fans are intimidating for an opposing team, but when you're in trouble it can be very intimidating for our own players, I'm sure. They already feel like they've let the home-crowd down. No sense in making them feel worse for it. We can criticize the decision later, not during the game.

I'll get off my soapbox now. It just really got on me.
GO REBELS!!!
Chucky_38
All American
All American

wildthang80 wrote:
RichmondVAReb wrote:Coach Bianco just announced that Drew Pomeranz will have to pitch tomorrow night and will pitch as far into the game as he can go. The WKU coach said his entire pitching staff will have to be available to pitch as many innings as they can get away with without needing a change. Tomorrow's game is going to be a very interesting game. I guess we will learn how the Rebels do under pressure because it is going to be there BIG TIME.
I think we just learned that didn't we? :(
We learned how we do under pressure tonight. In the bottom of the 9th against a guy with 10.00 era and a 1-1 record who had NEVER recorded an out against us...we strike out twice and ground out. Our season ended tonight.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Oxford I really value your opinion and you pretty much seemed to have a handle on this team, but tonight I have to say Bianco made a few decisions that were questionable at best. I will just leave it at that.

That's history, this team is in a really tough position now, lets hope the bats come alive tomorrow. I just pray that Bianco has the bullpen up and running from the first inning on.

Well get'em, because that is what championship teams do.
Randy
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Just keep in mind that this is one game. Any team can win in one game. We have to respond. And for the most part we have bounced back okay in situations like this during this season. All I do know for sure is it's a long time until 7 tomorrow night. It's going to be a long day at the office.

Thank goodness we're not Ohio State, right? Their season ended via a 37-6 rout by FSU today.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Jordan gets it. Maybe it's just media talk, but I refuse to believe this team is going to lay down from the challenge tomorrow. They haven't laid down yet this season and I can't think they will tomorrow night. From the post-game interview:

Junior OF Jordan Henry
On momentum going into Monday’s elimination game...
“I think we have the advantage. We’re playing at home, and it’s going to be this crowd out there again. Like Matt said, we flushed it and we’re looking forward to tomorrow. That’s what we’ve been talking about all season- the next 200 feet, flushing what happened and so what, be ready for tomorrow. We’re excited to be playing here tomorrow in front of our fans again.”

It is critical that every single person who bought a ticket make it to the game tomorrow night. If you know someone who has a ticket but isn't going to make the game, then please beg, borrow, or steal it and get here. We need to get loud and take control of the atmosphere. Keep the momentum on the Rebel's side and punch the ticket to next weekend.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

rewalters wrote:Oxford I really value your opinion and you pretty much seemed to have a handle on this team, but tonight I have to say Bianco made a few decisions that were questionable at best. I will just leave it at that.

That's history, this team is in a really tough position now, lets hope the bats come alive tomorrow. I just pray that Bianco has the bullpen up and running from the first inning on.

Well get'em, because that is what championship teams do.
That's fine and I'm not saying we have to agree with all he says and does. I've got questions too. All I'm talking about is doing it during a game calling for the guy on the mound to be pulled. That can't be good for the pitcher's psyche.

And I have to believe Bianco will do whatever he has to for the win tomorrow and pull out all the stops. He said Pom would get out there the first inning, but didn't promise say how long at all. The only pitcher he took off the table was Buk which is obvious. Here's his quote:

On pitching for Monday’s elimination game....
“Drew Pomeranz will start, and everyone will be available. Drew will go as long as he can go, then we will take him out. We just want to get him out in the first inning and take it from there. Drew felt good today and said he could pitch an inning today. He’ll be ready to go, but everyone will be available to play. I mean, certainly not (Brett) Bukvich, but we’ll check everyone tomorrow and see how they’re feeling just like we do on a Sunday. I’m certain that a lot of guys will want the ball tomorrow.”

I'm sure all the pitchers will want the ball tomorrow. I bet Bittle will somehow find his way down to right field behind the pen and try to bribe someone to give up their jersey so he can sneak into the game. LOL
GO REBELS!!!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote: All I'm talking about is doing it during a game calling for the guy on the mound to be pulled. That can't be good for the pitcher's psyche.
No doubt my friend, no call for that whats-so-ever.

I also believe that Bianco will use every arm he possible can.

Had to laugh on Bittle, I was telling my wife the same thing about 10 minutes ago!
Randy
tlsu
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

The bats need to jump on them as quickly as possible to give Pomeranz a cushion to relax in. Hopefully he can go 4-5.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

tlsu wrote:The bats need to jump on them as quickly as possible to give Pomeranz a cushion to relax in. Hopefully he can go 4-5.
LSU took care of business tonight like it was just another day at the office. Good for them. I really want the Rebels to get another shot at them in Omaha. :D
GO REBELS!!!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I respect Henry as a player but we do not have any type of advantage heading into tomorrow night. I stopped listening during the top of the 8th, thinking we had control and turned it back on bottom 9. We were facing a team that had to win a game earlier in the 90 degree heat just to stay alive and then take on the undefeated nationally ranked host. We had a 6 run lead, they had 6 outs to work with... .. We brought in a closer that has been reliable all year and sucked it up just as bad as possible... We have no pitching going into tomorrow, neither do they, but it seems like their best strategy is to just pitch a guy with 10+ era.. We cannot touch them. If we both have sketchy pitching, they have the advantage because they are a better hitting team.. If we lose tomorrow, this will go down as the worst loss in ole miss sports history... Somebody said that we will win tomorrow because thats what championship teams do.. That is exactly why I am scared we wont win tomorrow...
Win lose or draw, Go Rebs, but this one stings....
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It was I that made that statement. If this is not a championship team then I could careless whether we win tomorrow, I don't want a regional win I want a Championship and I hope every Rebel that straps it on tomorrow feels the same way.

If this team has what it takes to win a Championship then they will win tomorrow, if not then hopefully they will build on this and be stronger next year.
Randy
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I refuse to let one blemish this entire weekend mar what has been an exceptional weekend (and season) for this team. And I refuse to give up on them. If this were any other Regional we'd all say the lower seed got lucky and we'd expect all to correct itself tomorrow with the previously 2-0 team getting the win. I expect our guys to win tomorrow. I'm excited about tomorrow's game. I went to church tonight and I missed the game. I'm glad I missed it. I'm disappointed that we did not win and seal it up, but I'm excited that I'll get to see them win the Regional tomorrow. It will be the first time I've seen our guys win a Regional in the years I've been going to them.

I'm begging everyone not to take the defeatist attitude all took last weekend after the SECT. If we lose tomorrow and you want to say "I told you so" then do it, but as for me, I refuse to take that attitude tonight. We are Ole Miss and as a fanbase we should never say die.

Take a knee, men.

Everyone thought Bama had won the Friday night game this year, with Ole Miss down by 2 going to the bottom of the 9th. Three runs later we were sitting pretty in that series. Everyone thought we had lost the Saturday game against UGA, but we pulled it out of the fire. We were given no chance at Arky, but yet we pull the sweep. We're going to let some Sun Belt team convince us that we can't compete? It's like seeing Arkansas State on the football schedule and saying "Oh well, there a loss". We've let their 2, 3, and 4 spot guys scare us, and by us I mean the fans. We've forgotten that we have a flat out a better team than WKU. In baseball one loss to a team doesn't mean anything. Both teams will come in with depleted pitching, but Ole Miss comes in with a deeper bullpen and a deeper bench talent. So a 10.00+ ERA guy had a good night and a sub-4.00 guy has a bad night. Law of averages says it won't happen again. We have the advantage, all we need is for us, the fans to bring the fire and enthusiasm. We have one of the best starting pitchers in the SEC starting tomorrow night, and even on little rest, he'll be ready. He was asking for the ball tonight. He's ready. They all are. They want that bad taste out of their mouths. Our guys WILL win. Tomorrow night this game will be nothing but an unexpected, but manageable bump in the road to Omaha. So let's get there, get loud, and get it done.

Why do I feel like the coach from "Rudy" now? :lol:
GO REBELS!!!