New guys on campus

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

so who is in oxford(new class)? I know some of you get upset about anyone asking about paysite info. I guess you bought stock in rivals or something, anyway if you're a student or whatever and are as excited as I am then speak up.
JuniorRebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

I am a new grad student. Just got moved into my apt in Oxford about two weeks ago. Since i have arrived i have made a few friends and our discussions about the upcoming season have me frothing at the mouth!

That being said, a conversation i had the other day with a newly acquired friend left me a little upset and i figure you guys can add further insight into it: My friend told me that as much fun as games are that compaired to most other schools we have bad fans. He went on to cite fans (especially the student body) leaving at half time and that sometimes the grove and its festivities are more of a draw than the games themselves. other than last season i guess i can see that.

Never the less, this latest bit of news has not had a detrimental effect on my excitement for the coming season. However, i would like to know your opinions on this notion of ole miss having bad fans. Is it a product of consistantly bad teams? something that is easily remedied by winning or is oxford really home to a bunch of people only interested in the games as a secondary form of entertainment?
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

JuniorRebel wrote:I am a new grad student. Just got moved into my apt in Oxford about two weeks ago. Since i have arrived i have made a few friends and our discussions about the upcoming season have me frothing at the mouth!

That being said, a conversation i had the other day with a newly acquired friend left me a little upset and i figure you guys can add further insight into it: My friend told me that as much fun as games are that compaired to most other schools we have bad fans. He went on to cite fans (especially the student body) leaving at half time and that sometimes the grove and its festivities are more of a draw than the games themselves. other than last season i guess i can see that.

Never the less, this latest bit of news has not had a detrimental effect on my excitement for the coming season. However, i would like to know your opinions on this notion of ole miss having bad fans. Is it a product of consistantly bad teams? something that is easily remedied by winning or is oxford really home to a bunch of people only interested in the games as a secondary form of entertainment?
It's 100% true. For some reason, well over half of the people who fill VHS on Saturdays think they're too good to cheer.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

i wish more than anything to change that. it has always bothered me to see a lot of our fans just sit there and hardly cheer while i am screaming my head off. on sundays i can hardly talk. i have been to bama games in t-town and the fans are always hyped up for the games. i just wish we could be a little more excited. maybe an undefeated season will change it for me.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

wpdrebel wrote:i wish more than anything to change that. it has always bothered me to see a lot of our fans just sit there and hardly cheer while i am screaming my head off. on sundays i can hardly talk. i have been to bama games in t-town and the fans are always hyped up for the games. i just wish we could be a little more excited. maybe an undefeated season will change it for me.
those fans really are aging out..and the jumbo tron is a tool that can effect/influence the crowd noise, used properly.

Bottom line..anybody 55 years old or younger is in new territory (top 10 ranking preseason)....there will be dead people cheering.
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

you guys dont sit in the student section much. we're loud.
We Are Ole Miss
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

mpzreb17 wrote:you guys dont sit in the student section much. we're loud.
yes you are...for the b ig games, anyway. and I think if somehow more liquor could be smuggled inside...less would leave early. Not condoning or condemning...just observing.
JuniorRebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Most of your responses are about what i expected. My guess is that a lot of the less enthusiastic fans are a product of a less than winning tradition. However, The people that i have met down here that are avid football fans, such as myself, seem to really be looking forward to this season. I have a feeling that a lot of that school pride and enthusiasm will spread like wild fire come the start of the season and continue to rise following a win at SC (a place im sure most of the pessimistic fans are waiting for to get excited).

I am looking forward to an amazing season and wonderful experience no matter the seasons end result. You can be sure that I will be spreading my enthusiasm all over the place.

P.S. airplane bottles should resolve all alcoholic issues for students inside the stadium. I will be loaded with em on game days. Shoot i might pass em around just to keep people in the game.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JuniorRebel wrote:Most of your responses are about what i expected. My guess is that a lot of the less enthusiastic fans are a product of a less than winning tradition. However, The people that i have met down here that are avid football fans, such as myself, seem to really be looking forward to this season. I have a feeling that a lot of that school pride and enthusiasm will spread like wild fire come the start of the season and continue to rise following a win at SC (a place im sure most of the pessimistic fans are waiting for to get excited).

I am looking forward to an amazing season and wonderful experience no matter the seasons end result. You can be sure that I will be spreading my enthusiasm all over the place.

P.S. airplane bottles should resolve all alcoholic issues for students inside the stadium. I will be loaded with em on game days. Shoot i might pass em around just to keep people in the game.
you will likely be searched...If I needed to get some booze inside, I'd ask around for the best tricks...diaper bag with "apple juice" baby bottles for instance.
JuniorRebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

rebelliousb wrote:
JuniorRebel wrote:Most of your responses are about what i expected. My guess is that a lot of the less enthusiastic fans are a product of a less than winning tradition. However, The people that i have met down here that are avid football fans, such as myself, seem to really be looking forward to this season. I have a feeling that a lot of that school pride and enthusiasm will spread like wild fire come the start of the season and continue to rise following a win at SC (a place im sure most of the pessimistic fans are waiting for to get excited).

you will likely be searched...If I needed to get some booze inside, I'd ask around for the best tricks...diaper bag with "apple juice" baby bottles for instance.
It was the same way during my undergrad when i attended games at Va Tech. But we always managed. I obviously dont know how strict it is here but every person there got patted down. We usually wore hoodies and put the bottles in the hoods draped over our shoulders...worked brilliantly.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

on sundays i can hardly talk.
Especially the first few games, until I get my vocal cords loosened up!

But yeah, people just sit, except for a small minority. And those who just sit look at you like you're crazy.

Drives me nuts too, guys. (No pun intended.)
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

They search us pretty good. The best trick I've seen is to get a girl to tape a pint to her thigh.
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

sounds like fun getting it back too!! :D
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

last season it was not as strict of a search process as years past (I was in undergrad from 01-05 and law school from 06-09, so i have a good sample size). looking in girls purses and checking guy's sock area was about the extent that my friends and I had to endure.

Now I have big boy seats, so little threat of getting searched now.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

must be just my luck but the rest of my crowd ( in the big boy seats) manage to get in with their water and stuff....and I will have my water lifted by the friendly folks at the gate every time...
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!