Need help with fax function of 4 in 1 HP Officejet

Computer related discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

My Hp Officejet 6110 is about four years old. It has worked very well since I've had it and still does except it recently stopped receiving incoming faxes. I can send, just can't receive faxes.

I noticed this problem some days or weeks after upgrading my DSL line from 1.5 mbps to 3.0 mbps. (I don't send or receive many faxes.) I had an AT&T technician come and see if the DSL change had something to do with my problem and they found nothing.

I've reinstalled the printer's software, but that didn't help. I've scoured HP's Support web site, but found nothing that I'd not already tried. I've checked the Fax Function settings and they seem normal. I don't mind buying another machine, but that won't fix the problem, if the machine itself is OK.

Any help with this will be appreciated.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Memphis Jack wrote:My Hp Officejet 6110 is about four years old. It has worked very well since I've had it and still does except it recently stopped receiving incoming faxes. I can send, just can't receive faxes.

I noticed this problem some days or weeks after upgrading my DSL line from 1.5 mbps to 3.0 mbps. (I don't send or receive many faxes.) I had an AT&T technician come and see if the DSL change had something to do with my problem and they found nothing.

I've reinstalled the printer's software, but that didn't help. I've scoured HP's Support web site, but found nothing that I'd not already tried. I've checked the Fax Function settings and they seem normal. I don't mind buying another machine, but that won't fix the problem, if the machine itself is OK.

Any help with this will be appreciated.
My guess is driver conflict...reinstall the driver and make sure that it is the lastest and greatest. also make sure that the driver is made for the operating system. also make sure that you have all of the latest windows updates. Sometimes they can make a difference.
Later,
Hagar
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

While I did uninstall and reinstall the printer software, I don't recall updating the driver after I did that. I'll try that and also check for windows updates. As far as the operating system is concerned, I don't see how that could be a problem since it worked with the printer's fax function for several years. Maybe so though.

Thanks again.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Memphis Jack wrote:While I did uninstall and reinstall the printer software, I don't recall updating the driver after I did that. I'll try that and also check for windows updates. As far as the operating system is concerned, I don't see how that could be a problem since it worked with the printer's fax function for several years. Maybe so though.

Thanks again.
Sometimes a program that you recently installed or uninstalled will cause a registry error that causes driver conflicts. If a driver has an error windows tries to "substitute" and substitutes the wrong one or one that clashes with some other hardware driver. I know this probably doesn't make any sense but trust me it can happen.
Later,
Hagar
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Remove and reinstall drivers maybe. I see that you did that. Did you install them off the original cd or download the latest? Could be a problem with old drivers and there may be a patch.

At 4 years, I hate to say you may have gotten your money's worth.
We Are Ole Miss
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Wow! A response posted at 2:00AM and another at 3:00AM. You guys are either real night owls or have nighttime jobs.

To your point about reinstalling the driver...I used Device Manager to find an updated driver. It went through a fairly lengthy search which I'm assuming was on the Net. It then said the driver was OK.

Hager had mentioned Windows updates previously. I have the Automatic Update function turned on so it should be getting and installing Win updates without my interaction.

None of what I've tried has solved the problem. I'm more than willing to replace the machine. I'd hate to do that, however, only to discover after the fact that the new one doesn't receive faxes either.

You know, I have a Love/Hate relationship with my computer. Right now it's sleeping on the couch!
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Older models are all around ebay. I had a Lexmark X125 printer/copy/scan/fax for a few years, it always did its job. My parents used it for faxing before it was mine. So, if you're a victim of economic circumstances, that's a good viable alternative.

I don't know what fax machines run for now adays, I bum the political science departments.
We Are Ole Miss
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Memphis Jack wrote:Wow! A response posted at 2:00AM and another at 3:00AM. You guys are either real night owls or have nighttime jobs.

To your point about reinstalling the driver...I used Device Manager to find an updated driver. It went through a fairly lengthy search which I'm assuming was on the Net. It then said the driver was OK.

Hager had mentioned Windows updates previously. I have the Automatic Update function turned on so it should be getting and installing Win updates without my interaction.

None of what I've tried has solved the problem. I'm more than willing to replace the machine. I'd hate to do that, however, only to discover after the fact that the new one doesn't receive faxes either.

You know, I have a Love/Hate relationship with my computer. Right now it's sleeping on the couch!
Go to the windows updates and check ... many of the updates you download as "automatic" are only critical updates...I bet that there are more than 15 updates waiting for you to install right now. Probably more. Visit the windows update site and download directly. There are lots of "Service Packs" that don't automatically install themselves.
Later,
Hagar
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Did not know that. Thanks.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I worked on a woman's computer recently and she had DSL installed and had all manner of fax issues, so here's my $0.02...

1. Make sure the fax is plugged into the telephone side of the filter device. I'm not trying to be condescending here. I can't tell you how many times I've messed this one up at my house. I have the bad habit of just grabbing and plugging and I'll end up with a phone/fax in the DSL side or the DSL modem in the phone side then wonder why it's not working...

2. If you are plugged into the phone side of the filter, make sure you're not dealing with a bad filter.

3. Be absolutely sure you have a filter on every single phone jack that's in use in the house. That will not only mess up your DSL services, but can actually cause problems with the phone service even if the line you're trying to use is filtered. A missing filter can make things difficult until it's taken care of. Of course jacks not in use don't have to be filtered.

I'm sure you've been through all this, or at least the ATT tech should have checked it all out. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
GO REBELS!!!
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Great suggestions. I'm OK on #1, but may not be OK on #2. I have extra filters so I'll swap out and see if that helps.

I'm not sure about #3. I really don't know how many phone jacks we have in the house. It's a pretty big house and we may have phones plugged in on the second floor that don't have filters.

The ATT tech did not do the things you mentioned. Thank you so much.
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Update about my fax problems.

My wife bought me a new Officejet 4 in 1 for Father's Day. After hooking everything up, the first thing I did was print a test page, which was fine. Next I sent a test fax to my son and asked him to send it back, if he received it. He did receive it and I received his reply. The fax function now works as it should.

So, either there was something wrong with the old machine mechanically or installing the new one loaded the right driver. Either way, I'm happy to have fax capability again.

One work-around I used during the time the fax did not work was to scan whatever I wanted to send then attach it to an email message. I asked those needing to send me a fax to do the same thing. That works pretty well. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.