Meet the Rebels Cancelled

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

Meet the Rebels Day has been cancelled due to Swine Flu concerns. This is ridiculous. If they can't meet the fans then they can't go to class or walk through the Grove before games.

C'mon people! The regular flu kills more people in the U.S. every year than Swine Flue has and we don't panic about that.

:roll:
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticl ... EM_ID=2600

Are there cases here we are not aware of? And if so, why?
Regardless, I agree with you. Why cancel? Makes no sense, unless there's really something to worry about... and I haven't heard it?
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote:http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticl ... EM_ID=2600

Are there cases here we are not aware of? And if so, why?
Regardless, I agree with you. Why cancel? Makes no sense, unless there's really something to worry about... and I haven't heard it?
not sure, but seems like there have been outbreaks hit another team or two around the country. I say better to expose them now than Oct 1st.
ruready
Water Boy
Water Boy

We have had some Swine flu confirmed cases in the Oxford school system..... however, and not trying to make light of it....the worse symptom is a sore throat. On the flu scale....it seems mild at this point. Cancelling any event over this is pure hysteria.
Chucky_38 wrote:Meet the Rebels Day has been cancelled due to Swine Flu concerns. This is ridiculous. If they can't meet the fans then they can't go to class or walk through the Grove before games.

C'mon people! The regular flu kills more people in the U.S. every year than Swine Flue has and we don't panic about that.

:roll:
All the kings horses and all the kings men for a SEC championship!
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Here is a thought. Rebs arent ready and the scrimmage that was open to the public needs to be private. I like it.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

wildthang80 wrote:Here is a thought. Rebs arent ready and the scrimmage that was open to the public needs to be private. I like it.
Hope that you are incorrect. Even though Memphis creates little to no threat, game day is upon us and our fellas need to be ready NOW.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

wildthang80 wrote:Here is a thought. Rebs arent ready and the scrimmage that was open to the public needs to be private. I like it.
It was already closed to the public before this announcement.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Nevermind then.
done

I actually like it....I don't care if HDN throws an invisibility cloak over the whole team and then waits until the right time to unleash them against "He who shall not be named" (Lord Saban)...

Whatever HDN wants...I'm ok with it..

besides, I wouldn't have been able to drag 9 month old Eli to Oxford just yet anyway...
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Talking to some doctors I know they are not taking this situation lightly, and surprisingly it is the people in the college age bracket that are at the highest risk for the Swine Flu.

Many of the doctors are changing their stance on Swine Flu from a nonchalant approach to a more cautious approach. Sore throat or not, if this disease hits the team we are in trouble..playing football with the flu is not exactly easy.
done

MtownRebel wrote:Talking to some doctors I know they are not taking this situation lightly, and surprisingly it is the people in the college age bracket that are at the highest risk for the Swine Flu.

Many of the doctors are changing their stance on Swine Flu from a nonchalant approach to a more cautious approach. Sore throat or not, if this disease hits the team we are in trouble..playing football with the flu is not exactly easy.
My understanding is that while it might not be as fatal as some others have been...it's impact could be much broader...so caution is smart
cajunrebel

cancelled.over.swine.flu.wow.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Part of the problem with the "new" flu's is this:

It is a virus and virii can be tricky things that have the ability to leave nasty residual health problems such as Cardiomyopathy... a deteriorating heart muscle disease that can lead to all kinds of problems from arrythmias to heart muscle breakdown which can only be cured by having a heart transplant...when so little is known about this particular virus it is better to play it safe than sorry.

When 500 snot nosed (possibly virus infected) kids are crawling all over Dexter McCluster to get an autograph or a picture made...well you get the idea.

While I know it isn't popular to cancel a big event like this... I commend Nutt for this decision. It just isn't worth the risk and this season is too important and too much preparation has been done over far too long of a time frame to make it worthwhile for no benefit.
Later,
Hagar
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Hagar wrote: While I know it isn't popular to cancel a big event like this... I commend Nutt for this decision. It just isn't worth the risk and this season is too important and too much preparation has been done over far too long of a time frame to make it worthwhile for no benefit.
Exactly.
ruready
Water Boy
Water Boy

That is correct...we don't want the flu....but my point.... The "swine flu" hysteria is just that..... I would not let the threat of swine flu determine any decision I make.... If it was such a threat...maybe we need to ban the gathering of thousands of people on Saturdays. Just a suggestion. :lol:
MtownRebel wrote:Talking to some doctors I know they are not taking this situation lightly, and surprisingly it is the people in the college age bracket that are at the highest risk for the Swine Flu.

All the kings horses and all the kings men for a SEC championship!