Quote from Chris Low of ESPN

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I disagree with the implications from the below quote from Mr. Low (I like him usually, but I feel a point needs to be made here).

"With expectations soaring, Ole Miss has sold out of season football tickets, meaning for the first time in years, the Rebels are turning fans away. " (I added the bold for emphasis)

This sounds like Ole Miss had a dropoff in attendance due to its performance over the past 30-40 years which is just now being revived by the outstanding year we had last year. Now, I don't know what the attendance figures show for that period, but MY POINT IS THIS: I do not believe that Ole Miss has ever had this level of interest in season tickets by its fans in its entire history. In 2002 we increased the stadium by just under 10K which greatly increased the potential for season ticket sales as compared to prior years, and in our last heyday back in the 60s the stadium capacity in Oxford was 30-40K (agreed that Jackson had a 60K stadium, but we only played once or twice a year there so that is not a comparable situtation because season tickets were not sold for that stadium).

I just think that we need to be clear in pointing out to the media that NEVER in our history has the demand for tickets approached the present level, and all of that can be attributed to the team performance last year and I believe the pentup desire of our fans to get back to winning which I believe is as strong as possible. We are in new territory as far as fan support goes, and the future looks bright indeed. We are in uncharted territory, and the quote seems to overlook what is happening today at Ole Miss.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

I didn't read anything into that statement at all; the truth is this is the first time 'in years' that we have completely sold out of season tickets through the our ticket office. Not everyone is out to get us you know.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
Chucky_38
All American
All American

This is indeed new and great for us. I have loved every second of it.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Dave, I wasn't saying that Low made an uncomplimentary statement about us at all. There was no malice at all in his statement. I just feel we need to project the image that we are now taking our program to new heights and are now in uncharted territory---I believe in a positive image rather than comparing our team to the past when there really is no comparison (ticket-sales wise that is). You can build a whole new image for the school if you take that approach (simply saying we are getting back to where we were years ago misses the point altogether). I was suggesting that we build a whole new image of Ole Miss fan support as being in uncharted territory----I believe we truly are, and the sky is the limit.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

RichmondVAReb wrote:I disagree with the implications from the below quote from Mr. Low (I like him usually, but I feel a point needs to be made here).

"With expectations soaring, Ole Miss has sold out of season football tickets, meaning for the first time in years, the Rebels are turning fans away. " (I added the bold for emphasis)

This sounds like Ole Miss had a dropoff in attendance due to its performance over the past 30-40 years which is just now being revived by the outstanding year we had last year. Now, I don't know what the attendance figures show for that period, but MY POINT IS THIS: I do not believe that Ole Miss has ever had this level of interest in season tickets by its fans in its entire history. In 2002 we increased the stadium by just under 10K which greatly increased the potential for season ticket sales as compared to prior years, and in our last heyday back in the 60s the stadium capacity in Oxford was 30-40K (agreed that Jackson had a 60K stadium, but we only played once or twice a year there so that is not a comparable situtation because season tickets were not sold for that stadium).

I just think that we need to be clear in pointing out to the media that NEVER in our history has the demand for tickets approached the present level, and all of that can be attributed to the team performance last year and I believe the pentup desire of our fans to get back to winning which I believe is as strong as possible. We are in new territory as far as fan support goes, and the future looks bright indeed. We are in uncharted territory, and the quote seems to overlook what is happening today at Ole Miss.
Seems to me that the point that you would like made would come from the SID's office. And it didn't.
Ole Miss Season Tickets Sold Out
Courtesy: University of Mississippi
Release: 08/27/2009

OXFORD, Miss. -- Ole Miss officials announced Thursday that football season tickets are sold out. It is believed to be the first time the Rebels have sold out of season tickets.

A limited number of individual game tickets remain for the three non-conference encounters with Southeastern Louisiana, UAB and Northern Arizona. Prices are $40 for sideline and south endzone and $25 for the north endzone.

To purchase these remaining tickets, visit the OleMissSports.com ticket office or call 1-888-732-8587.
Simply restating the first paragraph of the press release, as follows, would have mitigated any negative inference taken from it:

>Ole Miss officials announced Thursday that football season tickets are sold out. It is the first time since Vaught-Hemingway Stadium capacity was increased to 60,580 in 2002 that the Rebels have sold out of season tickets.<

Plus, the SID's office "believes" it is the first time this has happened? I wonder if they do much research?
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.