Moved up to 6 in AP and 8 in Coach's

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

obviously the losses to two teams ranked ahead and the nature of Ohio State's win over Navy precipitated this move up, especially considering we didn't play like a top 10 team for half of Sunday's game. Wasn't surprised to see Oklahoma State jump us in both polls, but was slightly surprised to see us jump LSU in the Coach's poll. Thoughts?
CBSSportsline
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Im not suprised at all that we jumped lsu in the coaches poll because although I don't know what the line was for the lsu washington game I know the tigers were supposed to win by more then what they did. That was a closely contested game and we won by 2 touchdowns more then what our line with memphis was. The voters just look at results and even though this was considered a "off" game the final score indicated a blow out of a decent memphis team.
done

olemsdave76 wrote:obviously the losses to two teams ranked ahead and the nature of Ohio State's win over Navy precipitated this move up, especially considering we didn't play like a top 10 team for half of Sunday's game. Wasn't surprised to see Oklahoma State jump us in both polls, but was slightly surprised to see us jump LSU in the Coach's poll. Thoughts?
CBSSportsline
As suspected Oklahoma State jumped us...but I am still a little surprised that we jumped Ohio State.

We should stay right where we are after next weekend because if USC beats Ohio State there should be no movement in the top 5 and if Ohio State beats USC, USC would drop out of top 5 and Ohio State would jump in....I just hope both us and Bama remain undefeated and Bama stays ahead of us in the polls...but let's get by SC and Vandy first...

all in all very exciting!
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

My thought is that many, if not most, of the voters in the polls only saw the final score of the game, which made it look like an easy blow out. We did, of course, win by 31, but those Rebel fans that watched the game certainly had some concerns in the first three quarters.

One of my Tiger High friends told me yesterday that we were over-rated. I asked him how many points we need to win by, if 31 is not enough...50, 60 70? He was quiet after that.

Despite the slow start, I think it was an excellent first game on several levels. We pretty much maintained our ranking. The players may not be so interested in their press clippings now. The coaches have numerous teaching moments to explore. I think we'll be fine once we lick the flu bug. (Has anyone heard if this is seasonal flu or swine flu? It seems early for seasonal flu.)
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

Memphis Jack wrote:(Has anyone heard if this is seasonal flu or swine flu? It seems early for seasonal flu.)
We've got both flying through Ole Miss right now.

I guess, in hind sight, the flu concerns of Rebel Day weren't baseless.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Sorry to hear it.

FYI, an eighth grade player on the White Station Middle School football team has apparently become the first swine flu victim in the Memphis area. He was diagnosed last week and died on Monday. It's reported that an autopsy will be performed to see if there were other factors involved. This is a tough one especially since children and pregnant women seem to be most at risk.