Just released:Rebels move to number 6 in nation!

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

WOW. Thats all I can say. ITs remarkable to think of how far weve come since 2 years ago. If we can move up 2 spots and we still had a off game imagine what we will do to teams when we are on our A game! If we are unbeatin going into the bama game at this rate it could be a matchup of like 3 versus 4 or something similar! Keep it up rebs lets keep proving we belong with the big boys!
memphisplaya
Water Boy
Water Boy

Do you deserve that ranking though? The jury is still out because it's only been one game. As of now though the my answer is NO. It however isn't worth a dime.
That said the Memphis win was less than impressive. At the 6:30 mark in the 4th quarter Snead was 10-20 and zero TD and 2 INT. Memphis's Qb maybe the worst i have watched in a long time. Snead struggled a great deal until Memphis starters started wearing down. He then took advantage and started connecting with his playmakers. That game was a WAY closer than the final score indicated.
Take off those red and blue glasses and come back to reality OM did nothing to prove it deserves that high of a rank so far.
Ole Miss better come out more ready for SEC play. If they play like they did in most of the Memphis game it won't be pretty.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

memphisplaya wrote: OM did nothing to prove it deserves that high of a rank so far.
Neither did Florida, Texas, USC, Penn State, Ohio State, Cal, LSU, etc.

Welcome to the first week of football, Memphisplaya! There are going to be a ton of teams who haven't so much "proven" their top-25 worth as of right now. If the top-25 were strictly a resume-based system (that is, based purely on what has happened as opposed to any given team's potential) then Florida and Texas wouldn't even be in the top-25.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

rrlynch wrote:
memphisplaya wrote: OM did nothing to prove it deserves that high of a rank so far.

Welcome to the first week of football, Memphisplaya! There are going to be a ton of teams who haven't so much "proven" their top-25 worth as of right now. If the top-25 were strictly a resume-based system (that is, based purely on what has happened as opposed to any given team's potential) then Florida and Texas wouldn't even be in the top-25.
IMO, the rankings are still based on last season, this season's potential and how you looked in your game. Every week is an evalutory point so I do think you can take something from every game.

Take Ohio St for example. Struggled against a decent Navy team. That game showed us that OSU is not any better than the past. Cal revenged a loss from last season in impressive fashion. FLA/TEX did what many expected OM to do, come out flying and not let off the gas.

Not sure any of the teams you mentioned should move up but you can always take something from every game. Something can be taken from the SE Lou game for OM. If they come out flat, sluggish and going through the motions again. Then that would be a trend. And not a very good one to say the least.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

a lot of our guys were on the sidelines vomiting during the mem game, and up tp 30 are out this week - give it a rest
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

bleuwolfe wrote:a lot of our guys were on the sidelines vomiting during the mem game, and up tp 30 are out this week - give it a rest
You got it :wink:
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

spudhog wrote:
rrlynch wrote:

IMO, the rankings are still based on last season, this season's potential and how you looked in your game. Every week is an evalutory point so I do think you can take something from every game.

Take Ohio St for example. Struggled against a decent Navy team. That game showed us that OSU is not any better than the past. Cal revenged a loss from last season in impressive fashion. FLA/TEX did what many expected OM to do, come out flying and not let off the gas.

Not sure any of the teams you mentioned should move up but you can always take something from every game. Something can be taken from the SE Lou game for OM. If they come out flat, sluggish and going through the motions again. Then that would be a trend. And not a very good one to say the least.
I disagree entirely with what I've bolded. Games involving Florida kicking the tar out of Charleston Southern and Texas riding on cruise control through ULM don't prove anything to anybody. Neither would Ole Miss hanging 50 on SELA. Ole Miss' 2nd string has at least twice the talent of SELA's starters. The same goes with every SEC team as they compare with FCS teams. Look at Vandy beating Western Carolina 45-0 this last weekend for example.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

rrlynch wrote:
spudhog wrote:
rrlynch wrote: Neither did Florida, Texas, USC, Penn State, Ohio State, Cal, LSU, etc.

I disagree entirely with what I've bolded. Games involving Florida kicking the tar out of Charleston Southern and Texas riding on cruise control through ULM don't prove anything to anybody. Neither would Ole Miss hanging 50 on SELA. Ole Miss' 2nd string has at least twice the talent of SELA's starters. The same goes with every SEC team as they compare with FCS teams. Look at Vandy beating Western Carolina 45-0 this last weekend for example.
I am not going to put a lot of stock into those games but I do think there's some value in those games. How much? That is in the eye of the beholder.

It show's that they are seemingly prepared for the season and no corky flaws were discovered. Yes, OM's backups should hang 50 on SELA. And SEC teams should tear these teams up.

My point being in all of this is that these teams didn't struggle. They can't gain anything from beating these teams but they can lose by having flaw's exposed or etc. Guess that's what I am trying to say.

These teams that blew out these weak teams didn't lose any value IMO. Like I said, if there's any value to be taken from these games, that's what I would take.

Obviously when conference season hits, we can truly start seeing where teams truly stand. But for now, we have these games.
done

The difference between Texas, Florida, and USC was the quality of opponent. Memphis is better than UL Monroe, Charleston or San Jose State and light years better than the teams MSU, Arky, Kentucky, and Vandy played and probably better than the team LSU played. And Texas allowed UL Monroe to score 20 points and had zero sacks.

First games against inferior opponents often result in slow starts and blah offense as the teams do not want to show their hand.

But Memphis is not a bad football team. They will be a player in the CUSA. I absolutely do not think the game could have gone any better for us. We got a 31 point victory and our coach's got lots of ammo to keep them grounded and Jevan got a nice little wake up call after a summer of hype.

Now let's just get by this Flu and next week's scrimmage and then bring on the SEC!
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:The difference between Texas, Florida, and USC was the quality of opponent. Memphis is better than UL Monroe, Charleston or San Jose State and light years better than the teams MSU, Arky, Kentucky, and Vandy played and probably better than the team LSU played. And Texas allowed UL Monroe to score 20 points and had zero sacks.

First games against inferior opponents often result in slow starts and blah offense as the teams do not want to show their hand.

But Memphis is not a bad football team. They will be a player in the CUSA. I absolutely do not think the game could have gone any better for us. We got a 31 point victory and our coach's got lots of ammo to keep them grounded and Jevan got a nice little wake up call after a summer of hype.

Now let's just get by this Flu and next week's scrimmage and then bring on the SEC!
Well, we can agree to disagree on how good memphis is. I defintely think Wash would beat them anytime/anywhere.

I do think it was a good wake up call for OM. When you have a season like the last one, you have to play that much harder/execute better. We'll see how that plays out the next couple of weeks.
done

spudhog wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:The difference between Texas, Florida, and USC was the quality of opponent. Memphis is better than UL Monroe, Charleston or San Jose State and light years better than the teams MSU, Arky, Kentucky, and Vandy played and probably better than the team LSU played. And Texas allowed UL Monroe to score 20 points and had zero sacks.

Well, we can agree to disagree on how good memphis is. I defintely think Wash would beat them anytime/anywhere.

I do think it was a good wake up call for OM. When you have a season like the last one, you have to play that much harder/execute better. We'll see how that plays out the next couple of weeks.
Washington has lost 13 games in a row and has been outscored 484-172 during those 13 games. Not saying Memphis is great but they are certainly better than any of the other teams mentioned above.

The much bigger question is how good Arky really is. I know what we have. I have seen Coach Nutt and his boys play against and beat the best in the land already (Florida) and come within one conversion of beating the other conference power (Bama) both at their stadiums and beat a top 10 team and conference co-champ in a bowl game. I have no doubt that we will finish the season as a top 15 team and I am fairly certain that we will finish even higher. Arky is the really unknown because their opponent was 4-7 last year in the powerful Missouri Valley Conference with losses to powerhouses like Washburn, South AND North Dakota State, every directional Illinois school, and oh yeah shut out 42-0 by Northern Iowa.

Why don't you go concentrate on your little rebuilding project before you come over here questioning our top 10 football team after a 31 point victory that moved us up two spots to number 6 in the land.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:
spudhog wrote:

Washington has lost 13 games in a row and has been outscored 484-172 during those 13 games. Not saying Memphis is great but they are certainly better than any of the other teams mentioned above.
That's true but that was last year. South Carolina lost like19 in a row or something like that and then went (and won) the outback bowl the following year. UW is not a great team but they will win a few games this year.

I think for kicks, Memphis is probably better than the rest. But, that's like seeing who the fastest kid in 4th grade is when you are in high school.
cajunrebel

Give.it.a.rest.spud.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

cajunrebel wrote:Give.it.a.rest.spud.
resting
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend