Nutt is calling the PLAYS!!!!!

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

umaa18
Water Boy
Water Boy

Taken this morning form the Clarion Ledger

HOUSTON NUTT "I call the plays": On Wednesday, we asked Nutt about playcalling. His response: "Starts on Sunday. We break it down. Third and long, third and medium, third and short. Second and long, second and medium. And then we put it all on the board. Our top 5 in each one. We rehearse those things all week, and then when game day gets here I call the plays, but anybody can call it from that sheet. Now sometimes when we get off track like the other day - Kent and I really go hard together on the passing game in between series 'What do you think on the first 3rd and long" and he'll suggest and he's really good at it. And then Mike (Markuson) will suggest in the run game, but it's a team effort. When you go in the game, anybody that's been in our meetings all week long, including Jevan, could call. First and 10. Second and medium. Third and long. Third and medium. Cause you practice on them. It's just not a bag where you reach in and say we'll take this one. You work at it by film study and it's an entire group deal. When you get off whack and its 3rd and 15 and 3rd and 12, then you're off script a little. That's where Kent, I'll say "Kent what do you think now. We're 2nd and 15 we're backed up a little bit and that's where he's really good."
Have a REBEL DAY!!!!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

We're calling the same type plays as we did last year. The problem is with the execution of those plays. People aren't doing their jobs, we look down right sloppy on offense. Missing blocks, missing holes, not catching passes and not hitting our receivers. The offense is not clicking. If Bill Walsh were calling plays, we'd still look bad because we're not executing them.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
BigDeal
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Redbluedude wrote:We're calling the same type plays as we did last year. The problem is with the execution of those plays. People aren't doing their jobs, we look down right sloppy on offense. Missing blocks, missing holes, not catching passes and not hitting our receivers. The offense is not clicking. If Bill Walsh were calling plays, we'd still look bad because we're not executing them.
I would have to agree. Coaching only goes so far. We need the players execute. I still think the UAB game will be the confidence booster we need to finish the season strong.
I Thank you.
Heath
All American
All American

BigDeal wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:We're calling the same type plays as we did last year. The problem is with the execution of those plays. People aren't doing their jobs, we look down right sloppy on offense. Missing blocks, missing holes, not catching passes and not hitting our receivers. The offense is not clicking. If Bill Walsh were calling plays, we'd still look bad because we're not executing them.
I would have to agree. Coaching only goes so far. We need the players execute. I still think the UAB game will be the confidence booster we need to finish the season strong.
\

Hopefully they use it to get the passing game on track. I think right now defenses are just saying, "Hell, we will keep 9 men in the box, stop the run, and MAKE Snead beat us with the pass. But, he probably won't, because he can't hit the broad side of a barn and the O-line won't block for him for long."
jbreb1964
Water Boy
Water Boy

I'll be the first Rebel to say it
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:44 PM » Quote

If Houston Nutt does not turn 100% of the play calling over to Kent Austin, he should be fired. Nutt does not understand Austin's offense. It's totally unfair to Kent Austin to only let him call plays on 2nd and 15 or 3rd and 15.

If we should lose Austin and get stuck with Nutt, then Pete Boone should be fired.

From the Clarion Ledger:
HOUSTON NUTT "I call the plays": On Wednesday, we asked Nutt about playcalling. His response: "Starts on Sunday. We break it down. Third and long, third and medium, third and short. Second and long, second and medium. And then we put it all on the board. Our top 5 in each one. We rehearse those things all week, and then when game day gets here I call the plays, but anybody can call it from that sheet. Now sometimes when we get off track like the other day - Kent and I really go hard together on the passing game in between series 'What do you think on the first 3rd and long" and he'll suggest and he's really good at it. And then Mike (Markuson) will suggest in the run game, but it's a team effort. When you go in the game, anybody that's been in our meetings all week long, including Jevan, could call. First and 10. Second and medium. Third and long. Third and medium. Cause you practice on them. It's just not a bag where you reach in and say we'll take this one. You work at it by film study and it's an entire group deal. When you get off whack and its 3rd and 15 and 3rd and 12, then you're off script a little. That's where Kent, I'll say "Kent what do you think now. We're 2nd and 15 we're backed up a little bit and that's where he's really good."

I found this on Arky's message board, I'm starting to believe this is correct. After all Arky says that this is what happened when Malazan was there, not sayin the pig slop was correct, but it makes you think!

Let Austin call the frickin plays it worked last year, and I ain't buyin it's the execution!

Go Rebs
London Pig
Water Boy
Water Boy

Guys, people talk about Nutt being a bad recruiter and all that stuff, but I believe this very issue is what ruined him at Arkansas. Not the other things.

It wasn't just Malzahn, we had other capable OC's that he would not let run the offense. He was/is the most predictible playcaller in the league (going by stats) and we saw time and time again that our biggest playmakers would just dissapear for long stretches during games. Many times it happened even in big games. Sound familiar?

We always felt (and most probably still do) that if he would get out of the way of the offense, be the CEO and motivator of the team, he would get over the hump. But he has always refused to do it. People in Arkansas grew so tired of not having a balanced offense (terrible passing attack every year) and his refusal to try something new that they turned on him.

I hope for you guys that he let's KA do his thing. KA seems like a smart guy with great offensive experience. This always turned into a problem with the coaching staff at Arkansas, hope the same doesn't happen for you guys.

Looking forward to next week!
jbreb1964
Water Boy
Water Boy

London Pig wrote:Guys, people talk about Nutt being a bad recruiter and all that stuff, but I believe this very issue is what ruined him at Arkansas. Not the other things.

It wasn't just Malzahn, we had other capable OC's that he would not let run the offense. He was/is the most predictible playcaller in the league (going by stats) and we saw time and time again that our biggest playmakers would just dissapear for long stretches during games. Many times it happened even in big games. Sound familiar?

We always felt (and most probably still do) that if he would get out of the way of the offense, be the CEO and motivator of the team, he would get over the hump. But he has always refused to do it. People in Arkansas grew so tired of not having a balanced offense (terrible passing attack every year) and his refusal to try something new that they turned on him.

I hope for you guys that he let's KA do his thing. KA seems like a smart guy with great offensive experience. This always turned into a problem with the coaching staff at Arkansas, hope the same doesn't happen for you guys.

Hey Pig Shiit, let us figure the problem out..We don't need your lack of knowledge...
snoblind
Water Boy
Water Boy

jbreb1964 wrote:
London Pig wrote:Guys, people talk about Nutt being a bad recruiter and all that stuff, but I believe this very issue is what ruined him at Arkansas. Not the other things.

Hey Pig Shiit, let us figure the problem out..We don't need your lack of knowledge...
Classy, real classy.
SwineoMite
Water Boy
Water Boy

jbreb1964 wrote:

Watch out now, you might get banned........
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm not sure why anyone would call him a bad recruiter. Quite the opposite appears to be true.
CentralArkHog
Water Boy
Water Boy

JustBlues wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would call him a bad recruiter. Quite the opposite appears to be true.
I don't think I would call him a Bad recruiter. At Arkansas he just seemed to waste some of the talent he had here. That was frustrating to me. We had weapons all over the place at times and he wanted to stick to Jones & McFadden.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

SwineoMite wrote:
jbreb1964 wrote:

Watch out now, you might get banned........
Just you, chump.......