Maybe We'll get lucky... and Snead will enter draft.

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/11 ... t-scouting
10. Jevan Snead, Mississippi Rebels (JR)
Snead makes this list based on his NFL measurables and rocket arm alone, because to say that he's been crushed by massive pre-season expectations this year is an understatement. Snead is having an awful junior year at Ole Miss. The hype was well-founded - Snead threw 26 touchdowns and 13 picks as a redshirt sophomore in the SEC - but he's shown highly questionable decision-making skills in a junior campaign that has seen him throw another 13 picks already (to 15 touchdowns) while completing just 51.5% of his passes. He'd be insane to enter the 2010 NFL Draft, and he probably won't. But if he does, teams will absolutely look at him as early as the second round based on his talent level alone.

In addition, these players and/or quarterback situations are worth closely monitoring. As it stands right now, none of these players will be available via the Draft or free agency next off-season, but the chance exists that one or all will be released or traded.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

for our best choice at QB to leave?
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

JustBlues wrote:for our best choice at QB to leave?
I expect our whole offensive scheme to change next year...Randal Mackey, and Cotton will be the ones running the show... mark it down. However I sure would love to see Nathan Stanley get into the rotation somehow... I think he is head and shoulders better than Snead. I just wish our coaches would find a way to get him coached up this year. I really don't believe em when they say he isn't ready.
Later,
Hagar
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

the best I can do is trust our coaches. I have coached many years at the high school level and feel that I know more about putting a team together and executing than the vast majority of fans, but I do not consider myself to have the knowledge of our coaching staff and even if I did, I do not see these young men every day in practice. I have to believe that our coaches are putting the best players we have on the field and if it becomes blatantly obvious at some point that they aren't then I'd hope that we'd change coaches. We should see plenty of Stanley again this weekend.
classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

JustBlues wrote:the best I can do is trust our coaches. I have coached many years at the high school level and feel that I know more about putting a team together and executing than the vast majority of fans, but I do not consider myself to have the knowledge of our coaching staff and even if I did, I do not see these young men every day in practice. I have to believe that our coaches are putting the best players we have on the field and if it becomes blatantly obvious at some point that they aren't then I'd hope that we'd change coaches. We should see plenty of Stanley again this weekend.
We can trust the coaches, or watch the film and games ourselves. We've seen Stanley look calm and collective in the pocket when he has played, and I do hope he sees substantial playing time against NAU. When Snead get's flustered, he can't hit a barn wall. Is Stanley really worse than that?
classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Hagar wrote:
I expect our whole offensive scheme to change next year...Randal Mackey, and Cotton will be the ones running the show... mark it down. However I sure would love to see Nathan Stanley get into the rotation somehow... I think he is head and shoulders better than Snead. I just wish our coaches would find a way to get him coached up this year. I really don't believe em when they say he isn't ready.
I agree with you 100%! They just don't want to create a QB contraversy. They want us to believe Snead is our best chance to win, but I am not buying it.
classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

If he's our best chance at QB, God save us!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

then we are in a lot more trouble than we'd be if he is. If he isn't the best choice at QB then it means that we have a coaching staff that doesn't understand how to put a team together.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

classof97 wrote:
JustBlues wrote:the best I can do is trust our coaches. I have coached many years at the high school level and feel that I know more about putting a team together and executing than the vast majority of fans, but I do not consider myself to have the knowledge of our coaching staff and even if I did, I do not see these young men every day in practice. I have to believe that our coaches are putting the best players we have on the field and if it becomes blatantly obvious at some point that they aren't then I'd hope that we'd change coaches. We should see plenty of Stanley again this weekend.
We can trust the coaches, or watch the film and games ourselves. We've seen Stanley look calm and collective in the pocket when he has played, and I do hope he sees substantial playing time against NAU. When Snead get's flustered, he can't hit a barn wall. Is Stanley really worse than that?
Apples and Oranges. We have seen Stanley do ok against opponents Snead had already shredded. I hope we see Stanley this weekend too because that means Snead and company has already put them away decisively.
Also, I don't believe Snead is any worse than he was last year. Our OL IS that much worse than last year. They are struggling to protect AND to open running lanes. Teams know this and are loading up the line. We haven't been able to stretch the field to soften SEC defenses. I have said it before and I will say it again. The QB gets too much of the credit for success and too much of the blame for failure. This still is a team sport. It takes everyone.
Remember Snead is 20 years old (I think). He does hear all of this grumbling by "fans" and he doesn't like disappointing the "fans". I wish his skin was a little thicker and it didn't bother him.
If he wasn't the best option, I don't believe he would be playing. Someone else would. I believe that.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
done

ReservoirReb wrote:
classof97 wrote:
Apples and Oranges. We have seen Stanley do ok against opponents Snead had already shredded. I hope we see Stanley this weekend too because that means Snead and company has already put them away decisively.
Also, I don't believe Snead is any worse than he was last year. Our OL IS that much worse than last year. They are struggling to protect AND to open running lanes. Teams know this and are loading up the line. We haven't been able to stretch the field to soften SEC defenses. I have said it before and I will say it again. The QB gets too much of the credit for success and too much of the blame for failure. This still is a team sport. It takes everyone.
Remember Snead is 20 years old (I think). He does hear all of this grumbling by "fans" and he doesn't like disappointing the "fans". I wish his skin was a little thicker and it didn't bother him.
If he wasn't the best option, I don't believe he would be playing. Someone else would. I believe that.
O line has little to do with the passes he has thrown when he has had plenty of time. He is playing much much worse than he was at the end of last season.
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I agree with Justblues and ReservoirReb about Snead being our best option obviously, and that is why our coaches are playing him. Obviously this year's team is much different from last year's team, and the reason is not Snead because he was here both years. He has proven that he can make the throws if he has the right kind of support---i.e., 6 victories in a row last year to end the season.

I know we are all disappointed in the season, but we have an experienced coaching staff which is going to make the best possible decisions given what they are faced with. What you have is a team that was pretty much handed to Coach Nutt when he got here---they are not "his" team, and he won't have "his" team on the field for another couple of years.

Let's let Coach Nutt get settled in and then see where we are in a couple of years---is there any alternative that is viable???? We would be fools to try and make coaching changes this early. In the meantime we have to trust the coaches to do what is best under the circumstances as to who plays and under what circumstances.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

There is no doubt that Snead is in a slump. There are other factors as well, however. Wallace was obviously a bigger part of our team than we realized. Our backs are also slumping and not hitting the holes. Our defense is great and has been great overall, but against Auburn and UAB, some major defensive flaws were exposed. Our line has been sparodic. No one player has been consistently bad but no one player has been consistently good either. There has been some problem with play calling in some games. Our schedule is a huge problem. You can't go into South Carolina after only playing patsies and expect to do well. For one thing, Eric Norwood is going to bring looks that you haven't seen and be in your backfield all day.... Anyone who tries to oversimplify things and blame one thing or person doesn't understand the problem. With that, I think that Snead is our best option at starting QB. However, I do think that we need to play Stanley more often and prepare him for the future. One hard hit on the starter and the future is here. Stanley should have gotten some playing time in every game. When we struggle, he should get a little more. Try what you have. I do not favor the two (or more) starting QB schemes that some teams have experiemtned with, but I do realize that you have to prep Stanley for the unexpected and the inevitable future.
done

We can make excuses all day long...have you guys actually been watching him play? Watching his throws? Watching his reads (or lack thereof)? Watching his stone-like stationery target and inability to move even when he has a a pocket? Oddly enough his most effective plays this year have been his runs...that is the only time he tries to actually move when he is pressured.

We have good receivers in Hodge, Summers, Breaux and our RB's...but they can't be good if the QB air mails the ball or throws it into the ground.

Everybody in this country sees what our problem is...except us apparently.

I have no doubt that he is our most talented QB, but his inability to harness and manage that talent has cost us big time this year. It is unfathomable to me that we can't see that.