starting quarterback

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jbbyrd
Water Boy
Water Boy

Who will be our starting quarterback for this upcoming football season! give me some answers....

I VOTE RANDALL MACKEY OR RAYMOND COTTON
HOTTY TODDY!!
done

jbbyrd wrote:Who will be our starting quarterback for this upcoming football season! give me some answers....

I VOTE RANDALL MACKEY OR RAYMOND COTTON
Uh, let's actually see them play this Spring before we "vote" based on hyperbole (let's call this the Brent Schaeffer rule)...my guess (and hope) is that we don't need to use Mackey as the starter as he will be the least prepared without spring practice...
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

"the Brent Schaeffer rule"...I'm going to write that down! :lol:
jbbyrd
Water Boy
Water Boy

who do you suggest my freind the only other option would be nathan stanley im gonna call this the only options rule.
HOTTY TODDY!!
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

eh......Cotton? just sayin'..
Rebel PT2
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Spring will allow the cream to rise to the top. You have to believe Cotton and Stanley will be the two major contenders. Mackey has mad skills but the fact that he wasnt an early qualifier will set him back. I dont think he can recover for lost time. He may be an option for some limited packages. We will be young, but it will be fun to see how the new Qb's react. Big Players Make Big Plays. Lets let them decide it on the field before we begin speculating and appointing. It should be fun.
"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Nathan Stanley: poise, pocket presence, good QB mind, rifle arm, quick release, leadership qualities, and oh.....don't forget the HAIR. The hair must be mentioned........Stanley's the man in '10!!! Hotty Toddy!!!!!!!
done

jbbyrd wrote:who do you suggest my freind the only other option would be nathan stanley im gonna call this the only options rule.

Well I think we would all be foolish to write Stanley off. He had one throw in the Cotton Bowl that he clearly should not have made, but other than that he looked comfortable in the pocket and made two strong throws downfield that would have been huge gains had the receivers not been knocked off their routes by the DB's. He is the only one we have with any game experience. Don't be surprised if he is the starter. And then there is Cotton. If we go into the season with a QB who has only been there for a month then we have huge problems at the position. My hope is that Stanley and Cotton are #1 and #2, in any order, and Mackey is used in wild rebel situations. This is particularly true since Stanley and Cotton will also have 3 and 4 years of eligibility. How great would it be to have two strong options at the position for the next few years instead of just renting a Junior College QB.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

As long as he can convert on 3rd downs, throw TD's instead of pic6's, can tell the diff between Rebs' unis and the opponents unis, and be a LEADER, then he's my guy. I have grown weary of the 2009 gift wrapping policy. New motto - NO FREE RIDES HERE! :x
Deadman
Scout Team
Scout Team

bleuwolfe wrote:As long as he can convert on 3rd downs, throw TD's instead of pic6's, can tell the diff between Rebs' unis and the opponents unis, and be a LEADER, then he's my guy. I have grown weary of the 2009 gift wrapping policy. New motto - NO FREE RIDES HERE! :x
I couldn't agree more!

Deadman
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

CHN said that Stanley would take the first snap in spring practice but after that, the race for the starting position would be ON!!!
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:CHN said that Stanley would take the first snap in spring practice but after that, the race for the starting position would be ON!!!
I was thinking of that quote too. Spring practice is going to be exciting, especially since we have good talent at the qb position. We don't need BIG numbers from the position, we just need someone to play smart and "manage", kind of what bama had. I might actually have to go to the spring game this year.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
done

1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:CHN said that Stanley would take the first snap in spring practice but after that, the race for the starting position would be ON!!!

Exactly! Thank Goodness....and only two of the three mentioned will be at the starting line for that race. Stanley and Cotton!
------------------

badmotorfinger wrote:
I was thinking of that quote too. Spring practice is going to be exciting, especially since we have good talent at the qb position. We don't need BIG numbers from the position, we just need someone to play smart and "manage", kind of what bama had. I might actually have to go to the spring game this year.
2 things I want to see:

1) Consistency: I'll take a QB with average numbers any day over one who's up and down from one game to the next like a freaking roller coaster. I truly believe that a QB like Romaro Miller could have easily won 9-11 regular season games with this team.

2) Poise: Something Snead had a significant lack of this season. Led to him making a LOT of stupid mistakes.
guitarguy
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Miller had Duece and still couldnt win 9 games. Im just glad we have 3 highly rated QB's to chose from. WHEW how bout dem SAINTS!!!!