I find Admiral Ackbar offensive

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

done

Also mentioned on Around The Horn....
Heath
All American
All American

It is pretty pathetic, even if it is a joke. I think for national recruiting purposes, it doesn't matter what we do, it's what our image is perceived to be. SO, we will go from being viewed as a bunch of back woods, inbred, slave-owning, redneck klan members to 40-year-old virgin Star Wars geeks, who will actually argue whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars, or vice-versa. Ole Miss is REALLY moving up that image ladder!!! :oops:
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Y'all are ridiculous. This is not something the administration has done. It's just some students joking around. And as for "bad press," I haven't seen it. I actually believe the press we've been getting off of the farcical Ackbar campaign has been the best since the Presidential Debate. I'm serious.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

rrlynch wrote:Y'all are ridiculous. This is not something the administration has done. It's just some students joking around. And as for "bad press," I haven't seen it. I actually believe the press we've been getting off of the farcical Ackbar campaign has been the best since the Presidential Debate. I'm serious.

Agree. It amazes me that very few can see this for what it is....funny. Nothing is going to make our national image worse than it already is. We are laughed at by the entire southeast now. When I went to Columbia MO a few years ago to watch us play Mizzou, I had a Tiger fan tell me, "You guys are a joke" as he laughed and shook his head. That ain't changing unless we become a national title winner.

What really helps here is that we are getting attention for making multiple efforts to move out of the 1800's with our image and embrace the "Yes We Can" attitude. That helps.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

rrlynch wrote:Y'all are ridiculous. This is not something the administration has done. It's just some students joking around. And as for "bad press," I haven't seen it. I actually believe the press we've been getting off of the farcical Ackbar campaign has been the best since the Presidential Debate. I'm serious.
Agreed. 'Tis a joke, and I seriously doubt that this gag is hurting us in any way. Personally, I love the press we're getting.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35570298/ns/sports/
done

You guys can spin this however you want to or bury your head in the sand, but in no Galaxy, Star System or dimension is this a positive thing for Ole Miss. It is a joke, but people aren't laughing with us they are laughing at us..

This may not be getting play in Virginia or any of your backyards, but it is in mine. For the better part of three hours yesterday in one of the largest markets in one of the largest states in the country. during a time when hundreds of thousands of folks are stuck in brutal traffic and many of them listening to this top rated drive time sports show, they were told of Ole Miss's racist past and our geeky future...they were of course reporting the Akbar thing as our next choice of mascot, not as a joke. And I eventually got through to them and corrected them and sent them a link to the actual story instead of the TMZ one and in the last five minutes of the show they conveyed that they had "discovered" that it was indeed a joke. But the thousands of folks that made it home before those five minutes, went into their homes thinking this joke was for real.

Ole Miss is actually viewed very positively here in Austin. They view us as the flagship and classy university for the state of Mississippi (kind of like UT) and they view MSU as the Aggies of Mississippi. There has been lots of positive buzz and stories about visiting the campus (especially the Grove) in 2012. At Austin High the second most seen jerseys and caps are Ole Miss caps (behind UT)...the kids think it is cool to wear Ole Miss stuff.

I wish you could see the texts and messages my kids are and will be getting about this thing asking how embarrassed they must be about having a geeky Star Wars character as a mascot and how they didn't know we had a Slave Owner as a mascot before. I half expect to get a call to pick up my son Billy today for decking someone making fun of Ole Miss. This is a joke alright but the joke is on us.

And yes it is the administrations fault for stirring this crap up yet again and letting the story get spun by outside forces. They are going to do what they want to do, no matter what the students or anybody else say...why put us through more of this crap? They can't wipe their ass without smearing crap all over our faces.
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck wrote: "And yes it is the administrations fault for stirring this crap up yet again and letting the story get spun by outside forces. They are going to do what they want to do, no matter what the students or anybody else say...why put us through more of this crap? They can't wipe their ass without smearing crap all over our faces."

Bravo Chuck! A *beep* sandwich tastes like a *beep* sandwich regardless of what kind of china you serve it on...
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:You guys can spin this however you want to or bury your head in the sand, but in no Galaxy, Star System or dimension is this a positive thing for Ole Miss. It is a joke, but people aren't laughing with us they are laughing at us..

This may not be getting play in Virginia or any of your backyards, but it is in mine. For the better part of three hours yesterday in one of the largest markets in one of the largest states in the country. during a time when hundreds of thousands of folks are stuck in brutal traffic and many of them listening to this top rated drive time sports show, they were told of Ole Miss's racist past and our geeky future...they were of course reporting the Akbar thing as our next choice of mascot, not as a joke. And I eventually got through to them and corrected them and sent them a link to the actual story instead of the TMZ one and in the last five minutes of the show they conveyed that they had "discovered" that it was indeed a joke. But the thousands of folks that made it home before those five minutes, went into their homes thinking this joke was for real.

Ole Miss is actually viewed very positively here in Austin. They view us as the flagship and classy university for the state of Mississippi (kind of like UT) and they view MSU as the Aggies of Mississippi. There has been lots of positive buzz and stories about visiting the campus (especially the Grove) in 2012. At Austin High the second most seen jerseys and caps are Ole Miss caps (behind UT)...the kids think it is cool to wear Ole Miss stuff.

I wish you could see the texts and messages my kids are and will be getting about this thing asking how embarrassed they must be about having a geeky Star Wars character as a mascot and how they didn't know we had a Slave Owner as a mascot before. I half expect to get a call to pick up my son Billy today for decking someone making fun of Ole Miss. This is a joke alright but the joke is on us.

And yes it is the administrations fault for stirring this crap up yet again and letting the story get spun by outside forces. They are going to do what they want to do, no matter what the students or anybody else say...why put us through more of this crap? They can't wipe their ass without smearing crap all over our faces.

Do a Google News search for Ole Miss Admiral Ackbar. Go ahead. You'll see that The New York Times, Atlanta Journal Constitution, San Francisco Chronicle, TMZ, NPR, and countless blogs all covered this and all covered it positively. I don't know if you're into facebook or twitter, but read the Ackbar wall or read the tweets involving him. This is been an overhwhelmingly positive movement, satirical or not.

People are very much laughing with us and not at us.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

rrlynch wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:You guys can spin this however you want to or bury your head in the sand, but in no Galaxy, Star System or dimension is this a positive thing for Ole Miss. It is a joke, but people aren't laughing with us they are laughing at us..

Do a Google News search for Ole Miss Admiral Ackbar. Go ahead. You'll see that The New York Times, Atlanta Journal Constitution, San Francisco Chronicle, TMZ, NPR, and countless blogs all covered this and all covered it positively. I don't know if you're into facebook or twitter, but read the Ackbar wall or read the tweets involving him. This is been an overhwhelmingly positive movement, satirical or not.

People are very much laughing with us and not at us.
Getting back to the politics that are driving the whole Colonel Reb funeral, every one of the media outlets you mention openly pushes a liberal agenda. I'd be shocked if they didn't approve...
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Regardless of whatever agenda they may push, they do control national narratives and perceptions. Therefore, while you may not like their politics, they're the folks you want on your side. These are the very same outlets that, were we to re-introduce Colonel Reb, would mercilessly rake us over the coals as "racists".

I'd rather be labelled a sci-fi geek than a racist.
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

bravo rebchuck. i agree 100%. we are the laughing stock right now. i wonder if this is similar to how a state fans feels for being a state fan. :roll:
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

wpdrebel wrote:bravo rebchuck. i agree 100%. we are the laughing stock right now. i wonder if this is similar to how a state fans feels for being a state fan. :roll:
Jumping in with my $.02.
From where i sit, we're being laughed AT not laughed WITH.....I've seen nothing that resembles positive exposure from any media outlet. I'm embarrassed and have been since this whole crappy dork-fest started. The students that started this thing need to get out of their dorm room, find a willing female and get laid. Geez........ :evil: :evil:
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm for everybody gettin laid Thunder!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know lots don't agree with me, of course that has never mattered, but Col Reb was buried about 7 years ago. We miss him and love him. He was a part of our life that was wonderful. Yet just like when I lost my best friend I had to move on. I still think of him remembering the days but time heals and moves on. This media circus was going to happen no matter how it happened. Yes I think ackbar is a fish eyed fool. The brahma bull didn't go over well either. The difference is posting an idea on a message board is more of a "see what happens" and putting it on national tv is "rolling the dice seeing what happens". Do we have to have a mascot? NO cause we have done fine without one for a long time now. Never the less a mascot is fun. It also sells which is money for Ole Miss. Needed money brought in by t-shirts, bumper stickers etc. I will take what we get but I really don't like using a cartoon from a movie. I do like the bear. It is unique to the sec and a part of Mississippi. Then again if that isn't what they use I won't get all out of sorts with the world. If they are going to do this all I really hope for is they do it quick and quiet while remembering they only have one shot at this. I'm wishing those in charge of this the best and I will not say may the force be with you.
------------------

I agree COMPLETELY, bbqit. I don't understand all of this bemoaning about the death of Col. Reb...hell, he's been dead for 7 years already. All that really happened this week was that the final nail was put in his coffin. We all knew this was coming....just a matter of when and how.

Time to let go, get over it, and move on.
done

Sasquatch wrote:I agree COMPLETELY, bbqit. I don't understand all of this bemoaning about the death of Col. Reb...hell, he's been dead for 7 years already. All that really happened this week was that the final nail was put in his coffin. We all knew this was coming....just a matter of when and how.

Time to let go, get over it, and move on.
Actually the coffin was pried open so that the whole world could peak at his rotting corpse....he is not the issue....dredging these issues up over and over again is..and that usually happens at the hand of the school itself..and I believe that happens on purpose to just beat us all into ultimate submission...