I find Admiral Ackbar offensive

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

wpdrebel wrote:bravo rebchuck. i agree 100%. we are the laughing stock right now.
The thing is, we aren't. We simply aren't. People have really found this humorous, refreshing, and a welcomed break from what they would normally expect out of Mississippians.

Look, for we Rebels -- a group of people continuously derided for our past, perceived racism, ignorance, and all of the other things we know to not be true -- to complain about being a laughing stock is a bit odd anyway. You'd think we'd be used to it by now.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

*beep* Ackbar. All of you should either join the facebook group Prophet Muhammad for Ole Miss Mascot or General WIlliam Tecumseh Sherman for Ole Miss Mascot. 8O
We Are Ole Miss
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

rrlynch wrote:
wpdrebel wrote:bravo rebchuck. i agree 100%. we are the laughing stock right now.
The thing is, we aren't. We simply aren't. People have really found this humorous, refreshing, and a welcomed break from what they would normally expect out of Mississippians.

Look, for we Rebels -- a group of people continuously derided for our past, perceived racism, ignorance, and all of the other things we know to not be true -- to complain about being a laughing stock is a bit odd anyway. You'd think we'd be used to it by now.

But we are anyway. people find it humorous because they are laughing AT us. As for me i am not laughing at all. i think this ackbar thing is as stupid as it gets. I have people here asking me what the hell is this stupid ackbar thing yall are trying to get. And yall are not serious about this are you? because thats as dumb as you can get. maybe no one else has had this problem but i have. I am embarassed to even say it's all a joke.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Well y'all, anyway we look at it the vote happened. They are going to pick a new mascot. Complain about it all later but right now is the time to be positive and help them choose. If ya don't let them know what ya think is good and what is bad we could end up with anything. It is definitely not a time to say *beep* it. I would be surprised if they didn't read these message boards to get a feel of the choices being thrown around so speak up for what you want and what leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Don't just do this here but do it on other boards, in the coffee shop, phone calls to friends, call those in charge, just let your voice be heard every way you can.
done

I think I vote for no mascot at all...we haven't had one the past two years and they have been arguably the best two back to back years we have had in a long long time....no matter what they pick half of the fans are going to hate it and some group will find a way to deem it offensive, so let's put the sleeping dog back to sleep with some real stiff anesthesia...

Just say no!
done

rrlynch wrote:

Again, we may not be in Arlington...but we most certainly are here (and I imagine many other places)

This is one of the most embarrassing situations in my life as a Rebel (and that is REALLY saying something)
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:I think I vote for no mascot at all

This would be my choice as well, were I still a student.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

wpdrebel wrote: But we are anyway. people find it humorous because they are laughing AT us.
I'm going to say it until I'm blue in the face, but people are laughing with us, not at us. Visit the Ackbar Facebook page. You'll see folks from all accross the country posting in there saying how clever they think it is and some are even (half-heartedly, of course) saying things like "If this were to ever happen, I'd transfer to Ole Miss."

I hate to pull this card, but perhaps y'all are a bit out of touch with the internet, how memes spread, and how they're popularized. This has been one of the most popular things on the web over the last few days and very few people have had anything negative to say about it.

This press has been awesome for Ole Miss. It truly has.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

wpdrebel wrote:And yall are not serious about this are you?
Hell no we're not serious. Anyone who thinks we are doesn't have the slightest sense for satire.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

comments from YouTube's "It's a trap" scene:

It would be fun and even progressive for the school if admiral ackbar was the new mascot. let's face it, people across the country don't really care too much about ole miss football, basketball, ect. not trying to be offensive when i say that, but having this guy will not only bring press and attention, as i'm sure you've noticed so already, but it would make a southern college hip and cool, instead of traditionally boring. it would take a lot of heat off of the whole confederate flag thing.
davidmarshall44 (4 hours ago) 0 Reply

Whether you love it or hate, I give credit to Ole Miss for thinking outside the box!! Have fun with it Ole MISS. ITS A TRAP!!!! Gotta love it!!!
AStatePlayer (11 hours ago) 0 Reply

Worse decision than hiring Houston Nutt? I don't know. That would be a close one.
AStatePlayer (11 hours ago) 0 ReplyOle Miss Rebel Alliance! *beep* the empire!

Nobody would be able to pull off a trick play with the adrimal on the field and his keen sense of traps
rekke41 (17 hours ago) 0 Reply

No one in the SEC can repel fire of this magnitude!
jureysprudence (22 hours ago) 0 Reply

kevinomreb (1 day ago) 0 Reply
Ackbar, leader of the Ole Miss Rebel Rebellion! I love it.
carlgt1 (1 day ago) 0 Reply
if Ole Miss adopts Admiral Ackbar as mascot it will be the most progressive thing the south has ever done!
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Like it or not I am pretty dang sure we will end up with something on the side line. If all ya worried about is people teasing ya then lets put a voodoo doctor on the side line. They will leave ya alone.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

For those that were worried that this might actually happen, seems Lucasfilm has weighed in on the situation: "Lucasfilm is flattered that our Star Wars fans at the University of Mississippi are considering electing Admiral Ackbar as their mascot. The last time we checked in with Admiral Ackbar he was leading the Rebel Alliance Fleet on a critical mission so it will be difficult for him to show up for the games!"

translation-NO

LINK
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
done

Without a doubt one of the Top Ten Dumbass things Ole Miss Athletics has ever done to itself...

I don't know where to rank it..

maybe somewhere not too far below:

1) Hiring Ed Orgeron (even I have to admit that he was a bigger joke than Akbar, but as with this we didn't recognize the misstep until we already had egg on our face); and
2) Allowing in house counsel to represent us in NCAA appeal....

But I guess we can continue to be as oblivious as Kent Dorfman sitting with Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton at the Omega House and crow about what a positive thing this has been...

Woo Hoo!!!

May the Force be with us!!!!!!

Can we get some Ewoks as Flag Girls???

If we ever have a white out day in the stands, we can all wear Storm Trooper Uniforms!!!

And instead of that ridiculous motorcycle that we had on the field during the Orgeron years (also on the top ten list)...the team can be led onto the field by someone dressed as Luke Skywalker driving a speeder on wheels (like the one in the original movie before Lucas airbrushed the wheels off)...

And forget all those Bears you guys have been suggesting...we're gonna get us a WOOKIEE!!!!!!!

d*** I am so proud of all this positive classy coverage my Rebels are getting...

How could I have not seen this from the beginning? Thanks for enlightening me guys!!!
done

john_avery_fast wrote:For those that were worried that this might actually happen, seems Lucasfilm has weighed in on the situation: "Lucasfilm is flattered that our Star Wars fans at the University of Mississippi are considering electing Admiral Ackbar as their mascot. The last time we checked in with Admiral Ackbar he was leading the Rebel Alliance Fleet on a critical mission so it will be difficult for him to show up for the games!"

translation-NO

LINK

See.....even someone as smart as Lucas didn't see this as a joke!
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:Without a doubt one of the Top Ten Dumbass things Ole Miss Athletics has ever done to itself...

I don't know where to rank it..

maybe somewhere not too far below:

1) Hiring Ed Orgeron (even I have to admit that he was a bigger joke than Akbar, but as with this we didn't recognize the misstep until we already had egg on our face); and
2) Allowing in house counsel to represent us in NCAA appeal....

But I guess we can continue to be as oblivious as Kent Dorfman sitting with Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton at the Omega House and crow about what a positive thing this has been...

Woo Hoo!!!

May the Force be with us!!!!!!

Can we get some Ewoks as Flag Girls???

If we ever have a white out day in the stands, we can all wear Storm Trooper Uniforms!!!

And instead of that ridiculous motorcycle that we had on the field during the Orgeron years (also on the top ten list)...the team can be led onto the field by someone dressed as Luke Skywalker driving a speeder on wheels (like the one in the original movie before Lucas airbrushed the wheels off)...

And forget all those Bears you guys have been suggesting...we're gonna get us a WOOKIEE!!!!!!!

d*** I am so proud of all this positive classy coverage my Rebels are getting...

How could I have not seen this from the beginning? Thanks for enlightening me guys!!!
Why do you keep blaming Ole Miss and the admin for the Ackbar thing. Sure, it was precipitated by the Mascot issue (which this time was actually started by a student led petition which asked if other students wanted to have a say; hence the vote was born), but the Admin had NOTHING to do with Ackbar and the websites.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'