I find Admiral Ackbar offensive

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:
john_avery_fast wrote:For those that were worried that this might actually happen, seems Lucasfilm has weighed in on the situation: "Lucasfilm is flattered that our Star Wars fans at the University of Mississippi are considering electing Admiral Ackbar as their mascot. The last time we checked in with Admiral Ackbar he was leading the Rebel Alliance Fleet on a critical mission so it will be difficult for him to show up for the games!"

translation-NO

LINK

See.....even someone as smart as Lucas didn't see this as a joke!
If you can't read the levity in the Lucas statement, then I don't know what to tell you.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

For those still wishing for the return of Col Reb here is the only hope. Put Col Reb on a treadmill and you get this:

this is more about showing hypocrisy of outsiders than being disrespectful of others on this site.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

bbqit wrote:For those still wishing for the return of Col Reb here is the only hope. Put Col Reb on a treadmill and you get this:

this is more about showing hypocrisy of outsiders than being disrespectful of others on this site.
Ironic fun fact, UNLV original mascot (still were called the running rebels) was a wolf named Beauregard and he dressed in what resembles what we think of as a confederate soldier uniform. think at the time UNLV was called Nevada Southern

article

Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:Without a doubt one of the Top Ten Dumbass things Ole Miss Athletics has ever done to itself...

I don't know where to rank it..

maybe somewhere not too far below:

1) Hiring Ed Orgeron (even I have to admit that he was a bigger joke than Akbar, but as with this we didn't recognize the misstep until we already had egg on our face); and
2) Allowing in house counsel to represent us in NCAA appeal....

But I guess we can continue to be as oblivious as Kent Dorfman sitting with Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton at the Omega House and crow about what a positive thing this has been...

Woo Hoo!!!

May the Force be with us!!!!!!

Can we get some Ewoks as Flag Girls???

If we ever have a white out day in the stands, we can all wear Storm Trooper Uniforms!!!

And instead of that ridiculous motorcycle that we had on the field during the Orgeron years (also on the top ten list)...the team can be led onto the field by someone dressed as Luke Skywalker driving a speeder on wheels (like the one in the original movie before Lucas airbrushed the wheels off)...

And forget all those Bears you guys have been suggesting...we're gonna get us a WOOKIEE!!!!!!!

d*** I am so proud of all this positive classy coverage my Rebels are getting...

How could I have not seen this from the beginning? Thanks for enlightening me guys!!!
You've gone from dissenter to antagonistic sourpuss overnight.

I'm sorry your children's generation finds humor in something you are senselessly disgusted by.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

rrlynch wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:Without a doubt one of the Top Ten Dumbass things Ole Miss Athletics has ever done to itself...

I don't know where to rank it..

maybe somewhere not too far below:

1) Hiring Ed Orgeron (even I have to admit that he was a bigger joke than Akbar, but as with this we didn't recognize the misstep until we already had egg on our face); and
2) Allowing in house counsel to represent us in NCAA appeal....

But I guess we can continue to be as oblivious as Kent Dorfman sitting with Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton at the Omega House and crow about what a positive thing this has been...

Woo Hoo!!!

May the Force be with us!!!!!!

Can we get some Ewoks as Flag Girls???

If we ever have a white out day in the stands, we can all wear Storm Trooper Uniforms!!!

And instead of that ridiculous motorcycle that we had on the field during the Orgeron years (also on the top ten list)...the team can be led onto the field by someone dressed as Luke Skywalker driving a speeder on wheels (like the one in the original movie before Lucas airbrushed the wheels off)...

And forget all those Bears you guys have been suggesting...we're gonna get us a WOOKIEE!!!!!!!

d*** I am so proud of all this positive classy coverage my Rebels are getting...

How could I have not seen this from the beginning? Thanks for enlightening me guys!!!
You've gone from dissenter to antagonistic sourpuss overnight.

I'm sorry your children's generation finds humor in something you are senselessly disgusted by.
Here here. I second that. Jeez its not that big a deal.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

Hey guys, I've been here in NYC for the past couple of weeks, and I can tell you that the Ackbar thing is talked about in about a 75% positive light, at least from the little I've heard. Which is a refreshing change from the reaction I generally get when people find out I am from Mississippi.

Personally,I like it! :D

I also think that there is a definite generational gap here. If you want to be a neo luddite, that is your right. However, the younger generation utilizes online media more than ever before, and that is direction things are headed, like it or not.
Forward Rebels!
done

beachbumreb wrote: If you want to be a neo luddite, that is your right. However, the younger generation utilizes online media more than ever before, and that is direction things are headed, like it or not.
What the hell are you talking about...just because you can actually see when your school is being laughed at doesn't mean you are somehow Ted Kacsynski..what a ridiculous thing to say...

this has nothing to do with technology or using online media....I utilize online media constantly every single day...I still know stupid when I see it....this whole episode was stupid and unnecessary...and added ZERO value to our university and probably actually took some away...

BTW, I stood in line for six hours to see Star Wars the first day it came out (my "generation" was actually there)...loved it...but this whole vote and Akbar thing was still stupid
------------------

I just want somebody to tell me what a "neo luddite" is. :|
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Sasquatch wrote:I just want somebody to tell me what a "neo luddite" is. :|
I tried looking it up in my World Book Encyclopedia, but it isn't in my latest printed edition (1970) or the floppy disc.
done

luddites resisted (sometimes violently) the advent of new machinery and industrialization in the 19th century (I believe maybe in England, not sure)..... and I guess neo-luddites refers to people who resist today's technology (hence my Kaczynski reference)..

So I am guessing that if you don't see the Akbar nonsense as somehow shining a positive light all over the Rebel nation, then you must inherently be some kind of "technophobe"?
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:luddites resisted (sometimes violently) the advent of new machinery and industrialization in the 19th century (I believe maybe in England, not sure)..... and I guess neo-luddites refers to people who resist today's technology (hence my Kaczynski reference)..

So I am guessing that if you don't see the Akbar nonsense as somehow shining a positive light all over the Rebel nation, then you must inherently be some kind of "technophobe"?
so how many of those neo- Luddites surf the web daily? Traditionalist? I'd go along. Technophobic? Nah...
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:luddites resisted (sometimes violently) the advent of new machinery and industrialization in the 19th century (I believe maybe in England, not sure)..... and I guess neo-luddites refers to people who resist today's technology (hence my Kaczynski reference)..

so how many of those neo- Luddites surf the web daily? Traditionalist? I'd go along. Technophobic? Nah...

I guess I really need to go back to school.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Regardless, I think we are fine without a mascot.
However, while I am currently in a semi-comatose state - having just awoken from a 17 hour work shift - lets just have a big buzzard circle the stadium awaiting the demise of our opponent, or individual opponents who fall at the hands of the Landsharks to nibble the remains left behind.
done

BobReb wrote:Regardless, I think we are fine without a mascot.
However, while I am currently in a semi-comatose state - having just awoken from a 17 hour work shift - lets just have a big buzzard circle the stadium awaiting the demise of our opponent, or individual opponents who fall at the hands of the Landsharks to nibble the remains left behind.

I too vote "No mascot"...at this point no matter what these clowns try to do it will blow up in our face....
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote: - lets just have a big buzzard circle the stadium awaiting the demise of our opponent, or individual opponents who fall at the hands of the Landsharks to nibble the remains left behind.
now that's a mascot - 2 actually - I could love :mrgreen: