Questions in Oxford?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

HerbBrooks
Water Boy
Water Boy

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.ph ... in_oxford/

It is going to get interesting on offense.
done

I can not tell you how much I love folks doubting us out there......not only because I know how much Nutt thrives on that stuff, but also because I know how much talent we have returning on offense (most of them Nutt recruits BTW)....if Cotton or Stanley are decent, I think lots of folks are going to be saying "I didn't see that coming" when they are looking at our more balanced and efficient offensive production.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

I'm so sick of reading about Dan Mullen winning the recruiting battle in Mississippi, when it is obvious that Nutt outrecruited him in every way.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Anytime a team experiece's the turnover at Key positions like qb, rb and wr. Doubter's will be present. If OM can find solid guys to fill these roles, they should be fine. If not, could be a tough season.

Haven't found a recruiting source that had MSU ahead of OM. But, Mullen appears to be doing a nice job so far.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

just another lazy journo who restates the same story that has already been sprouted on every sports site, web, blog & print, at least 100 times...they get paid for this :cry:
tell us something we don't already know...but then you'd have to work a little
cacreb2000
3rd String
3rd String

I hope everyone sees us as a cake walk this year. I may be wrong but I see 7-5 at the worst. I personally love it when people say how bad we will be.
HOTTY TODDY!!!
GO REBELS!!!
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Get used to it this year. The media wants us to have a bad year cause they think we embarrassed them last year when they wrote and voted us to number four. Wait for spring, watch the team and make up your mind about us then.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

We got a fairly easy schedule. But for those positions I figure Ill help out a bit. I usually feel like I can guess these things pretty good.

QB - Stanley will be the guy to me. He knows the system and Cotton was a scout team QB, which prolly didnt help his development. Plus, I liked Stanley a lot out of HS - for what its worth. If Stanley struggles, Mackey should be ready to step in and with his athleticism I honestly think he can do what maybe Schaeffer was supposed to do. To me, Stanley will be more of a game manager, but needs to be able to make the throws, and I hope he does.

RB - Bolden is the guy, with Scott and Enricky closely behind. I saw where Bolden has lost weight, which is what he needed to do. But I have a good feeling about one guy. Tig Barksdale. I just cant see Nutt not giving him a shot. He was amazing and is a supreme athlete that will be the guy if he just gets the shot at RB.

WR - This is the main problem for me. Pat Patterson is slowly becoming a guy that needs to step up, and if all this suspension stuff is true, he concerns me. I think Markeith will be the guy, so he really has to step up and be the guy. Breaux just doesnt seem that good to me, but who knows. Jesse Grandy will be a star next year, but Im not sure if he can be a deep threat or if hes just gonna be the guy that catches screens and short passes with open space. Maybe Vincent Sanders or Q Mireles or JaMes Logan can step up. I dont expect much from our TEs. I dont think Nutt really throws to a TE with the exception of the TT game in the CB 2 years ago.

Defense will be good as long as the CBs can get good quick and someone steps up at DE.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

BigTrev34 wrote:We got a fairly easy schedule. But for those positions I figure Ill help out a bit. I usually feel like I can guess these things pretty good.

QB - Stanley will be the guy to me. He knows the system and Cotton was a scout team QB, which prolly didnt help his development. Plus, I liked Stanley a lot out of HS - for what its worth. If Stanley struggles, Mackey should be ready to step in and with his athleticism I honestly think he can do what maybe Schaeffer was supposed to do. To me, Stanley will be more of a game manager, but needs to be able to make the throws, and I hope he does.

RB - Bolden is the guy, with Scott and Enricky closely behind. I saw where Bolden has lost weight, which is what he needed to do. But I have a good feeling about one guy. Tig Barksdale. I just cant see Nutt not giving him a shot. He was amazing and is a supreme athlete that will be the guy if he just gets the shot at RB.

WR - This is the main problem for me. Pat Patterson is slowly becoming a guy that needs to step up, and if all this suspension stuff is true, he concerns me. I think Markeith will be the guy, so he really has to step up and be the guy. Breaux just doesnt seem that good to me, but who knows. Jesse Grandy will be a star next year, but Im not sure if he can be a deep threat or if hes just gonna be the guy that catches screens and short passes with open space. Maybe Vincent Sanders or Q Mireles or JaMes Logan can step up. I dont expect much from our TEs. I dont think Nutt really throws to a TE with the exception of the TT game in the CB 2 years ago.

Defense will be good as long as the CBs can get good quick and someone steps up at DE.
I think you either mean Austin doesn't throw to the tight end that much (bc Canadian football really doesn't use a TE) or Snead couldn't make it far enough in his progressions to throw to the wide open tight end or the fact that we had to max protect leaving the tight end in either for the fact that our LT was getting whooped or Sneads mental midget only could make one read so there was no need for running the tight end out and leaving him in for protection so Snead didn't get rattled.

I assume that is what you meant.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

BigTrev34 wrote:We got a fairly easy schedule. But for those positions I figure Ill help out a bit. I usually feel like I can guess these things pretty good.

The TE/ H-Back played a much bigger role in AR's offense during the Nutt years as a pass catcher so it makes you wonder if KA's philosophy may have impacted use of the TE. Regardless, the primary reason Nutt hasn't used the TE as a pass catching threat at OM has had more to do with the need to max in pass pro than overall offensive scheme/preference.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

john_avery_fast wrote:

The TE/ H-Back played a much bigger role in AR's offense during the Nutt years as a pass catcher so it makes you wonder if KA's philosophy may have impacted use of the TE. Regardless, the primary reason Nutt hasn't used the TE as a pass catching threat at OM has had more to do with the need to max in pass pro than overall offensive scheme/preference.
Nutt threw to the TE when he first got here at Ark but then all but abandoned it his last 8 years. Honestly, we never had real good TE's until his latter years here.

DJ Williams who had 60 catches 2 years ago I think had 5 catches in his only year with Nutt. So, it shows that even with some talent there, his offensive mindset is to have the TE block more like Jason Peters. Peters is an all pro Tackle now but was a starting TE for a couple of years at Ark.

We did use Peyton Hillis a lot in the passing game. In fact, I think we used him too much his senior year but, we didn't have many other options. He was an H-back type of player. May have lined up at TE a few times but was mainly a RB/FB running routes.

Maybe new OC will want more TE influence. If not, Markuson is excellent at teaching them to block well for the RB's.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Actually this guy didn't really say anything that offended me at all he mostly spoke the truth. It is a fact that we have to replace over 90% of our offensive production from last year. Its a fact that this is nutts first true year with his recruits playing. And its also a fact that this year is a complete unknown. Yes, we could go out there and be good offensively if some key players step up such as who ever is our qb and our wrs. Wr is a position that i worry about. We have tons of talent at the position but that means nothing if they don't step up to the plate. Last year only one wr stepped up for us, shay hodge. The others did not try hard enough to get open and it showed. For us to be successful we have to have the whole wr unit step up and play like their capable. Yes, dan mullen and msu did have a good recruiting class and a good season considering how bad they were in 08. But i will take being ranked 15th nationally in recruiting over having more in state recruits any day of the week. Thats the difference between state and us. They may get the best in state players sometimes(we actually got higher ranking in state players), but we got better players then they did nationally, and thats more important.