SEC teams in:
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss

SEC teams "on the bubble":
Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee

Maybe Next Year:
Vanderbilt

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/1 ... wl-picture
done

Given that it only takes 6 wins, don't think this is a big revelation. With our schedule anything less than 7 wins is a real failure anything above 8 is a great success..that is how divergent our tough opponents and not so tough opponents are in my opinion. Even if we were to somehow lose to fresno, we should easily win the other 3 non conference and then it would only take 3 SEC games to get to six.

Not bowling would be an unmitigated disaster IMO.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

I am with you Chuck. We should, with our defense leading, make it through the first 5 games no worse than 4-1, and should be able to get at least 3 more wins on the backside of the schedule (ULL, UT, and MSU). To be quite honest, the only sure loss I see is to Bama. Not saying at all that we go 11-1, but no one else on our schedule just strikes fear into my heart.

As for State, I really can't see where they find more than 4 wins, and that is with them winning what I consider to be a toss-up game with KY.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Negaive Nancy Alert:

I see a struggle to reach 6 wins.

JaxState-Win
Tulane-Win
Vandy-Toss up. We struggle with them alot.
Fresno State-Loss. They will be more pumped for us than we will be for them.
Kentucky-Toss up. Brooks' Wildcats would beat us I think. Maybe Joker's won't.
Bama-Loss. Its in the script.
Arkansas-Loss. Its their time to beat us, and beat us bad.
Auburn-Loss. They'll be better than last year.
ULL-Win
UT-Toss up. Winning in Knoxville, no matter what kinda team they have, doesn't happen for the Rebs.
LSU-Loss. Like the Razorbacks, the Tigers beat us up pretty bad.
MState-Toss up. Its at home, but if Mullen can beat us last year, he can beat us this year.

I think we'll win 3 non conference games and two of the three against Vandy, UK and Mstate. Hopefully, we can upset somebody along the way. Doubt we'll be favored in any of those other games except maybe Fresno.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:Negaive Nancy Alert:

JaxState-Win
Tulane-Win
ULL-Win
UT-Toss up. Winning in Knoxville, no matter what kinda team they have, doesn't happen for the Rebs.
MState-Toss up. Its at home, but if Mullen can beat us last year, he can beat us this year.

I think we'll win 3 non conference games and two of the three against Vandy, UK and Mstate. Hopefully, we can upset somebody along the way. Doubt we'll be favored in any of those other games except maybe Fresno.
NAH!!!! We grind out more W's than that, chief. Our D-Line will be one of the best in the SEC...possibly the nation. That alone makes us undefeated outside of the SEC.

Jacksonville St.- W
Tulane- W
Vandy- W
Fresno State- W
UK- Toss-up
Bama- L
Arkie- L
Aubie- Toss up
ULL- W
UT- Toss up
LSU- L
State- W

If we win all out of conference and split all SEC games with the highest likelyhood being wins over Vandy, State, UT, and UK....we have eight wins. I just don't see a Houston Nutt team NOT winning at least 3-4 conference games and all of the out of conference games.

The Egg Bowl dictates what kind of year we have.....either a 7-5 season versus an 8-4 season. My opinion anyway.......
done

Chucky_38 wrote:Negaive Nancy Alert:

JaxState-Win
Tulane-Win
ULL-Win

What a shocker....you expecting the sky to fall...

Our defense is much better than Arky's and when Mallett gets pressure some of his passes have a Jevanish floating style. We are a much better team than Vandy, KY, TN and MSU and Nutt doesn't like to lose to LSU.

Our floor...7 wins (3-1 non conference, 4-4 SEC)
Our ceiling....9 wins(4-0 non conference, 5-3 in SEC) maybe even 10 if we play lights out against Bama, Auburn, or LSU
Our likely...8 wins (4-0 non conference and go 4-4 in SEC)
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

I don't make predictions but I will say it all comes down to the Offensive Line again this year, and the defense creating turnovers this year. Nathan will have games where he looks great hopefully more than the ones where he looks terrible so we are going to need to be able to open up some holes, and the defense is going to have to create more turnovers this year. I don't think we were very good at turnovers last year (besides Snead) even though we were fairly solid defensively.

Again Defense carries us this year bc we don't have Dexter to break away and make our offense look good this year, but I truly am expecting a better performance from the offense this year, but we will see. I'll be happy with a 7 win season considering the offensive line, new qb, loss of Dex, and new defensive backfield. I know there are arguments for better but until I see how the team works together I won't press for more than 7.

Should be fun this year bc there is potential for a dramatic upswing in performance if we can find two or three guys to just play average to good every game. I think Middle Linebacker needs a better performance this year - i hope this is DT not Cornell. No offense to Cornell he plays average - he just doesn't have the pop to fill the gap or skill/speed to make the play on the option (See State game). Then I think a running back needs to step up (Somebody needs to play good)! Cornerback I am slightly concerned with but not that much they just need to be average to good this year. Offensive line needs some push in the middle we had very little of this last season until Dex who created running lanes. QB doesn't lose any games for us (see Alabama last year) If those happen it could be a very good season due to the strength of the DL and talent on the team.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

StrongRebel wrote:I don't make predictions but I will say it all comes down to the Offensive Line again this year, and the defense creating turnovers this year. Nathan will have games where he looks great hopefully more than the ones where he looks terrible so we are going to need to be able to open up some holes, and the defense is going to have to create more turnovers this year. I don't think we were very good at turnovers last year (besides Snead) even though we were fairly solid defensively.

Again Defense carries us this year bc we don't have Dexter to break away and make our offense look good this year, but I truly am expecting a better performance from the offense this year, but we will see. I'll be happy with a 7 win season considering the offensive line, new qb, loss of Dex, and new defensive backfield. I know there are arguments for better but until I see how the team works together I won't press for more than 7.

Should be fun this year bc there is potential for a dramatic upswing in performance if we can find two or three guys to just play average to good every game. I think Middle Linebacker needs a better performance this year - i hope this is DT not Cornell. No offense to Cornell he plays average - he just doesn't have the pop to fill the gap or skill/speed to make the play on the option (See State game). Then I think a running back needs to step up (Somebody needs to play good)! Cornerback I am slightly concerned with but not that much they just need to be average to good this year. Offensive line needs some push in the middle we had very little of this last season until Dex who created running lanes. QB doesn't lose any games for us (see Alabama last year) If those happen it could be a very good season due to the strength of the DL and talent on the team.
I agree about the turnovers. Last year not many defenses played better than Ole Miss. Bama played outstanding defense and I think about the only difference in the two was Bamer forced more turnovers.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Lindys preseason magazine is out. Picked it up today and they have us 10th in the SEC behind MState. They have us 6th in the West. Then they go on to say they're optimistic about our bowl chances. Man this is a tough league. You can be picked last in your division and stilll have a shot at a bowl.

And Chuck, if I was predicting the sky to fall, I'd be calling for a 3-9 season. Its me remember! 6 wins floats my boat!
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:Lindys preseason magazine is out. Picked it up today and they have us 10th in the SEC behind MState. They have us 6th in the West. Then they go on to say they're optimistic about our bowl chances. Man this is a tough league. You can be picked last in your division and stilll have a shot at a bowl.

And Chuck, if I was predicting the sky to fall, I'd be calling for a 3-9 season. Its me remember! 6 wins floats my boat!
Lindy's can SUCK IT!!! That same magazine had us winning the west last year I'm sure........ :roll:
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Those mags seem to come out earlier and earlier every year. in five years they will be out the day after the National Champ game.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Think OM will have a dropoff this season. A lot of questions to answer with not enough proven guys to do so. Combine that falloff with the West just being brutal this year. It's going to be hard for OM to win more than 7. They can win more than 7, just going to be really difficult. Next year, OM should contend for a West Crown.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

spudhog wrote:Think OM will have a dropoff this season. A lot of questions to answer with not enough proven guys to do so. Combine that falloff with the West just being brutal this year. It's going to be hard for OM to win more than 7. They can win more than 7, just going to be really difficult. Next year, OM should contend for a West Crown.

It all depends on the offense. If it clicks this year will be a fun one. If it doesn't I will pray for a 7-5 season cause that would be the best we could do. I feel our front seven on defense are as good as anybody's. Yet they can't stay on the field all day long and play up to that statement.