Our rebs picked to finish last in the west this season

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

The sec media finish predictions came out today, and as expected we are picked to finish last. Can't say i'm suprised though. Last year they picked us to finish 3rd in the west, and thats where we finished. I don't think we'll be last though. This is going to turn out better then being picked high and finishing low. By being picked last in the west, if we finish 4th or even 5th in the west we will still be considered a success this season. Bama is picked to finish 1st, Arky is 2nd, auburn 3rd, lsu 4th, and moo-u 5th. We still received 3 first place votes, thats more then lsu received.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

jrebel87 wrote:The sec media finish predictions came out today, and as expected we are picked to finish last. Can't say i'm suprised though. Last year they picked us to finish 3rd in the west, and thats where we finished. I don't think we'll be last though. This is going to turn out better then being picked high and finishing low. By being picked last in the west, if we finish 4th or even 5th in the west we will still be considered a success this season. Bama is picked to finish 1st, Arky is 2nd, auburn 3rd, lsu 4th, and moo-u 5th. We still received 3 first place votes, thats more then lsu received.
I like what coach Nutt said regarding that....He thanked them for it.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Still, you'd think we would have earned more respect over the last couple years. I suspect our flop at the end of last year has as much to do with this as anything, soon to be rectified.
done

BobReb wrote:Still, you'd think we would have earned more respect over the last couple years. I suspect our flop at the end of last year has as much to do with this as anything, soon to be rectified.
I know what you are saying Bob, but it will be fine with me if we "flop" to nine wins and a New Years bowl win again this year 8) No way on any planet that MSU should be ranked ahead of anybody in this league except Vandy (because of their coach leaving)
batman50
3rd String
3rd String

I'm confused, I thought DEFENSE wins championships? So, if we have one of the best sec defenses, how can we be picked to be last? I understand the youth and who we lost, but last? Doesn't make ANY sense to me. :?:
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

The main and only reason they picked us to finish last is because were ole miss. In the history of our program they have always underestimated us. In 2001 they chose us last, we finished 7-4. 2 years ago they picked us 5th in the west, we finished 9-4. But then again last year they picked us 3rd in west, and thats where we ended up. Its no secret that we lost alot of playmakers, our whole offensive output. But we should have a great defense barring injuries and that will win us some games. Our guys have to get fired up about this and set out on a mission to prove them wrong just like they did in 08.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

as CN said, "Thank you." Doesnt bother me either.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

jrebel87 wrote:The main and only reason they picked us to finish last is because were ole miss. In the history of our program they have always underestimated us.

just a theory of mine but I've always felt you can look at a team's bowl record and determine if they are usually over or under ranked.
GoneToOxford
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I would not like to be Mr. Stanley right now. He has some serious pressure on him.
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

GoneToOxford wrote:I would not like to be Mr. Stanley right now. He has some serious pressure on him.
If he's a QB, then pressure is what he plays for. We'll find out soon enough how he handles mistakes. If he passes that test, then he moves on to the next one: how he handles success.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

jrebel87 wrote:The main and only reason they picked us to finish last is because were ole miss. In the history of our program they have always underestimated us. In 2001 they chose us last, we finished 7-4. 2 years ago they picked us 5th in the west, we finished 9-4. But then again last year they picked us 3rd in west, and thats where we ended up. Its no secret that we lost alot of playmakers, our whole offensive output. But we should have a great defense barring injuries and that will win us some games. Our guys have to get fired up about this and set out on a mission to prove them wrong just like they did in 08.
Bingo. Teams like OM, Ark, MSU, Kent and USC are what I like to call cyclical schools. Meaning there win totals usually go in cycles. But if you take a 5 or 10 year bunch, they stay close to their average. Teams like Bama (now with Saban), Fla, and LSU (not the last year or so) are usually the top teams in the league year in and out. IMO, they have earned that right to be picked where they are.

It takes a season/off season like OM had 2 years ago, an 06' season like Ark had and etc to garnish real attention by these pre season polls. And of course, both schools flopped (compared to their true expectations) the next year. Showing their cyclical roots. Tenn has been this way the last 5 plus years, USC has been stuck in the same gear for a while and Kentucky is also stuck.

Means you beat most of the teams you should on your schedule, sneak up on a real good team a year and if you win 8-10 games in a year. You've probably won 3 or 4 of those fringe games (beat the teams one usually alternates wins against on a yearly basis).

In order for any of these schools to step up and get recognized, they need to win in Georgia and then follow it up with another contending year and so on. OM won 9 games last year but struggled with inconsistency and never really challenged Bama for the West. We won 8 games in 2007 but started like0-3 in the conference and beat only one team of significance.

It's hard to take that next step in the SEC. As Ric Flair says "To be the man, you have to beat the man". Ark/OM/UK/MSU haven't beat the man yet. Until either do so, we'll have to get used to taking up spots 2-6 in the West.
batman50
3rd String
3rd String

OM hasn't beaten the man???? Is that Ark helmet just too tight on your head??? HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO BEAT FLORIDA???? Seriously, do the research and look at our record against the gators. And as Bernie Mac said in Oceans 12, "NUFF SAID".
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

batman50 wrote:OM hasn't beaten the man???? Is that Ark helmet just too tight on your head??? HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO BEAT FLORIDA???? Seriously, do the research and look at our record against the gators. And as Bernie Mac said in Oceans 12, "NUFF SAID".
Until either one of us beats UF/BAMA to go to ATL or win in ATL. They are nice little wins and ufortunately, the only trophies any of us will really see until one of us wins a ring. Just like when Ark beat LSU in 07'. Fla went on to win the NC. Great to beat the NC but in the end neither of us cost them anything.
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

This^^^
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
manningesk
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I don't think we finish last and I think we win a few games with ball contron and defense. I see us going 9-3 overall and 5-3 in conference. I just don't understand the Auburn hype. While they do have some new talent, they are still a lot of fresh and soph's getting playing in the SEC. With Masoli starting, and let's be serious, Nutt wouldn't be fighting this hard to get him approved if he was starting, I think we finish 3rd.

Date Opponent Result
Sep. 4 Jacksonville St.- W
Sep. 11 at Tulane - W
Sep. 18 Vanderbilt - W
Sep. 25 Fresno State - W
Oct. 2 Kentucky - W
Oct. 16 at Alabama - L
Oct. 23 at Arkansas - L
Oct. 30 Auburn - W
Nov. 6 Louisiana-Laf. - W
Nov. 13 at Tennessee - W
Nov. 20 at LSU - L