Rebels and their future?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rolltide10101
Water Boy
Water Boy

Trying to look to the future here...this season was very bad...not quite as bad as those EO coached teams, but very bad. What needs to happen?

Rivals.com Recruiting class Rankings the last 5 years for Ole Miss..wtf? Where is that talent????? Why can't they compete right now??
2010 Recruiting class - #18
2009 Recruiting class - #18
2008 Recruiting class - #29
2007 Recruiting class - #27
2006 Recruiting class - #15

This year's class, as of now, is #11 on Rivals.com. It would be great to get these guys and hopefully most of them will qualify to play. If they could get a couple more, the Rebels could have a top 10 class this year.
jbrink
Water Boy
Water Boy

a lot of those prized recruits that made those classes so good are no longer on the team.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

We are a small school in a big conference. Now more than ever, I'm convinced we will never be better than mediocre. No matter how well we recruit. No matter who is our coach. Saban at MSU. Miles at OSU. Spurrier at USC. The proof is in the pudding.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
fenderman
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

we will always be average till we pony of the money for a real coach that understands today's game
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

Bolden 12 carries 113 yards. Enrique Davis 11 carries for 40 yards. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

I am not ready to pull the cord yet, but if we lose to State, Nutt needs to go. Bad defense, and tonight was just bad, bad play calling. Again.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We held vandy, tulane and alabama to below 35 points. How bad does the defense have to get before something changes?
Last edited by bbqit on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Well la la got 21
colreb74
3rd String
3rd String

I have to partially agree with the guy who said "this is the worst Ole Miss team ever." Yes, I remember the Orgeron days. Coach O posted some of the worst records in our history, but take any of his Ole Miss teams (coached by him) against this years Vols, and we either win or lose a close game with some dignity left.
P
Better yet, take any 70 of O's recruits, assemble a few pee wee coaches from this forumn, and you could beat Masoli and the rest of the warriors that fell today.

As a matter of fact, we beat the heck out of a much better UT team (with mostly Coach O recruits) last year. I'm glad O's gone! But I'm just saying there is sone truth in the comments on our 2010 Rebel football team.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if we put up the #1 or #100 recruiting class (on paper) as long as we look respectable, can compete in the SEC, and can win games. We're 0 for 3 on my list this season. Coach O sucked, but at least he was 1 for 3 every year. We lost, but looked respectable. There was always something about the team that you thought we had a chance. And excluding O's last stand in Starksville, when we got our A$S kicked, it wasn't by the last place team in a struggling SEC East conference!

It's been asked, "Is Masoli a QB who can run, or an RB who can pass?" I'm going to suggest he's a third option: "an average RB who can't pass very well." Stanley wasn't effective today, but he hasn't seen meaningful playing time... and that's not his fault.

Today I thought back to O's last Egg Bowl. When it was obvious we weren't going to win, I was hoping we would suck so bad the rest of the game that they couldn't possibly let Coach O keep his job. I gave to confess that I felt the same thing as I left Neyland in the third quarter as Nutt put Masoli back in.
Last edited by colreb74 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heath
All American
All American

I say give Nutt one more year and if we suck this bad next year, send him packing. This is pathetic.
rebel556677
Scout Team
Scout Team

Will someone please tell me why as a defense, we cannot cover a telephone pole? Our defense, who was built up as the next coming of the "steel curtin" have turned out to be somewhat of a screen door. Our offense is outdated, to mee the two coordinators need to be shown the door and Coahc Nutt needs to bring younger more up to date coordinators who know and understand today's game and Coach Nutt needs to forego his ego and let them coach.
Just another day being better than State.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Last time our defense won was when they took the Oreck Challenge.
laserking
Water Boy
Water Boy

As I said on another forum, I have been a lifelong Ole Miss fan exiled to Knoxville for 20 years. Yesterday was just embarrasing, especially so to me since all my friends went to UT. The bottom line is that Nutt never met a team he couldn't undercoach or a quarterback he couldn't kill (reference Snead's decline). The other bottom line is that the Rebs have never, ever, ever, had enough speed, size, and depth at DB. We cannot physically cover even average receivers being thrown to by a true freshman quarterbacks in the SEC, much less the Julio Joneses of the conference. Unless and until we can recruit more speed on defense, and lot's of it, we will always be a mediocre SEC team with a good year or two thrown in when we have an offense that can put up 35 a game to carry the defense. Sad but true.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

As rebel fans, we have a bad habit of pulling the plug way to early on coaches (aka cutcliffe, firing him after only one losing season and paying for it with 3 straight losing seasons under orgeron), so its not yet time to give up on Nutt. This is only one bad season it is not time to send him packing. First we must give him the chance to make staff changes. Once he has done that, if he still has a bad season next year then we will be able to justify firing him. Not yet, though. Oh, and this is by far not the worst team in ole miss history. Besides the fact that you cannot possibly be the worst team if you have 4 wins like we do, the worst team in olemiss history would more likely be the 07 team that went winless in the sec. That team was way worse then this one.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

we need to ...have to.. make some coaching changes. Let's see if Texas reacts by firing a proven HC. Let's see if Bama fires Saban if they lose three (which is like us losing 6). I'm not happy with Nutt right now, and if he got lucky and found an easier place to coach...I'll help him pack. But we can't talk of firing Nutt this year.
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

rebelliousb wrote:we need to ...have to.. make some coaching changes. Let's see if Texas reacts by firing a proven HC. Let's see if Bama fires Saban if they lose three (which is like us losing 6). I'm not happy with Nutt right now, and if he got lucky and found an easier place to coach...I'll help him pack. But we can't talk of firing Nutt this year.

I agree, but my mind will change depending on the LSU game and the State game. If they both blow us out and the front page of the Clarion Ledger says that State blows out Ole Miss again, then I want him gone. I think it will happen if that happens.