throw it in the dirt?

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

------------------

felicianareb wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:
felicianareb wrote:I'm all for cheering. It's just that "Throw it in the dirt" sounds like something you'd hear shouted at a little league park. Can't we be a bit more clever than this?

let's find out: show us what you came up with.
If you want to rattle a pitcher you've got to get real personal. I invite everyone on this board to volunteer the best insults they've heard used against an opposing pitcher...
I recall an opposing pitcher named "Dumas" having to endure being called "Dumb@ss" by us the entire time he was on the mound back in the 90's. We used to sit right next to 1st base and would give the pitcher and player on 1st base absolute he!! for the whole game.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

When it originally started, in my memory, it was usually reserved for 3 ball counts and/or when a runner was on third (the idea of course being a ball thrown into the dirt has a chance of allowing the runner to score). Like I originally replied, now folks overuse/misuse the chant, choosing to start it up during any count.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

How about, "Don't throw it in the dirt, cuz that's embarrassing, but also don't throw it in the strike zone. But come close, b/c I don't want you to think that I'm try to get you off of your game!!! But you, your team, and/or your fans think this is classless, then please throw a strike."
Some Random Dude
AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

The thing is what I've experienced is that its one drunk frat Guy yelling throw it in the dirt with probably 20 others joining in to say dirt. The last game this happened i was at we lost to Wright state. It doest work. Its like icing the kicker. Pointless and annoying
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

AtlantaRebels wrote:The thing is what I've experienced is that its one drunk frat Guy yelling throw it in the dirt with probably 20 others joining in to say dirt. The last game this happened i was at we lost to Wright state. It doest work. Its like icing the kicker. Pointless and annoying

yeah, well like I said, it's corny and I don't do it. At the same time, I have heard Hotty Toddy flop a few times...let's drop that *beep* too.
done

I knew I would be in the minority here (and that's okay) but just like the landshark only one word can describe this ................STARKVILLE! What a shame that is the impression visitors to our amazing ballpark will leave with.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:I knew I would be in the minority here (and that's okay) but just like the landshark only one word can describe this ................STARKVILLE! What a shame that is the impression visitors to our amazing ballpark will leave with.

First of all, Starkville has never come up with a cheer containing more than two words (Go State & Maroon...White {and they did this one while wearing black}).

Second...it's not croquet. What do you yell at a base ball game? I mean all you who have a problem with it personally? Is anything permissible? Can we stand up to see the play at third?
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebellious, I certainly don't want to cramp your devil's advocate style. I never attempted to dictate policy. I simply expressed an opinion. I'd always like to see Ole Miss do what ever it does to support its teams with flair and originality. Of course, given what has recently transpired, that might ultimately lead us back to the dreaded mascot discussion...
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I think Hotty Toddy is more embarrassing than Throw it in the Dirt. At least that one has more balls to it.
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

WildRebel wrote:I think Hotty Toddy is more embarrassing than Throw it in the Dirt. At least that one has more balls to it.
BLASPHEMER!
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

felicianareb wrote:
WildRebel wrote:I think Hotty Toddy is more embarrassing than Throw it in the Dirt. At least that one has more balls to it.
BLASPHEMER!
There's devils advocate and then there's Satan.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

felicianareb wrote:Rebellious, I certainly don't want to cramp your devil's advocate style. I never attempted to dictate policy. I simply expressed an opinion. I'd always like to see Ole Miss do what ever it does to support its teams with flair and originality. Of course, given what has recently transpired, that might ultimately lead us back to the dreaded mascot discussion...

Nah, your opinion isn't bothering me, and my response shouldn't get to many people wound up. I'm just really curious if anything is acceptable at a baseball game and where you all draw the line.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Here is a write up about Chip and "throw it in the dirt". Embedded in the story is what it sounded like.

http://forwardrebels.blogspot.com/2009/01/in-dirt.html

When the rebels were here playing TCU a couple years a go, a couple of guys started up "throw it in the dirt" chant, I still get comments on that from people that were at the game. Matter of fact you hear it from time to time at TCU home ball games.

What Chip started has truly reach several ball parks and I for one love to hear it.

ETA: I even heard it in the seventh inning of a Rangers game last summer, I couldn't help but smile and shake my head.
Randy
Justin_P34
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I love the "throw it in the dirt" chant as well. It brings life to the game. IMHO I do not find it insulting, I think its harmless and good fun. For me it provides "life" for a game that could be seen by many as boring. If I can yell at an opposing player, I'm going to yell. And whenever or whatever opponents are yelling at our players I do not find classless, just the nature of sports, and its not golf. These are adults, if your in purple and gold I don't like you, period. IMHO, some may find it classless and thats fine with me, everyone does things differently.
HottyToddy'06
AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

chip killed himself.. maybe he would be on my side... who knows? its terrible.. hotty toddy is just as sad but i support it cause it is nationally known.. we must stop the "throw it in the dirt" before it spreads!