Oh Chuck

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

I am just wondering if I am missing something here. Is it Masoli's fault we sucked on defense. I just thought averaging 36 points a game was pretty d*** good unless the defense gives up more than that. An offense ran by Stanley would have never averaged that many points.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

colreb1974 wrote:I am just wondering if I am missing something here. Is it Masoli's fault we sucked on defense. I just thought averaging 36 points a game was pretty d*** good unless the defense gives up more than that. An offense ran by Stanley would have never averaged that many points.

no the idea is...since we totally sucked on defense...we should have "developed" a QB (who Nutt, Lee, and K Austin seem to think can't be developed) into Roger Staubach...while leaving the sucking defense and it's coordinator alone. The detrctors have the advantage of being able to say "we will never know", but I tend to think Nutt Knew.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

@SpiritChuck Chuck Rounsaville
David Lee must really know his stuff at QB. Eli has asked the UM OC for regular offseason private tutoring.
2 hours ago via Echofon
Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by getalab and others
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:@SpiritChuck Chuck Rounsaville
David Lee must really know his stuff at QB. Eli has asked the UM OC for regular offseason private tutoring.
2 hours ago via Echofon
Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by getalab and others
didnt Cut usually do this? interesting...
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:
colreb1974 wrote:I am just wondering if I am missing something here. Is it Masoli's fault we sucked on defense. I just thought averaging 36 points a game was pretty d*** good unless the defense gives up more than that. An offense ran by Stanley would have never averaged that many points.

no the idea is...since we totally sucked on defense...we should have "developed" a QB (who Nutt, Lee, and K Austin seem to think can't be developed) into Roger Staubach...while leaving the sucking defense and it's coordinator alone. The detrctors have the advantage of being able to say "we will never know", but I tend to think Nutt Knew.
logic? tut tut :lol:
done

Again, not getting what I am saying. Do I think we would have averaged 36 points a game with Stanley? Don't know. Although.... even though I know you guys hate pesky little things like facts, we actually averaged 30 points per game (not 36) and a whole touchdown less than that against SEC opponents...and oh yeah in the one game that Stanley was allowed to start we scored more than that 30 average in the first half alone, but I digress and I am sorry for confusing the debate with facts...

But that is not my point. 1) do I think we could have won 4 games with Stanley (or perhaps Mackey)as the starter...yes 2) would we have been doing more to develop for this year with Stanely (or Mackey) as the starter...emphatically yes.

But Nutt is in a self perpetuated cycle of looking for short term (one or two year) "fixes" at QB that may not only not lead to victories in the short term but that are killing us long term. You can blame attrition, but attrition usually means that there is a management and development void. And with no chance of Mikhail getting any playing time this year we again are not developing a long term answer. The QB position under Nutt is becoming a game of musical chairs and it is the most important position on this offense and it is holding up the development of our receivers and in my opinion our offensive line as well. We are down to two eligible QBs and apparently one of our latest transfer messiahs has some work ethic or intellectual issues...not a good sign. The other has some kind of concussion history and a challenging speech impedement (which he has admirably worked through). And the supposed third has eligibility issues. And this situation was not created in a vacuum. It was created under a head coach who gets me excited and fired up just by listening to him talk, but who has extensive and documented conflicts and issues and turmoil with the QB position. That concerns me and I saw it manifest itself last year with a short term solution that was not even that. Makes me wonder if he is looking at this whole thing as a short term gig instead of developing a solid program with some consistency and credibility.

And BTW I do believe that certain aspects of last year's offense did hurt the defense...in particular third down conversion which turned the ball back over to the opponents offense often in quick stead and red zone efficiency. And both of those deficiencies were the result of having an offense centered totally around a QB who everybody knew was going to try and get the first down with his legs and was stopped at the line time and time again. Not only was there no development at the QB position, there was not development of the offense either.

I think that Mackey, if he stays healthy will be a huge improvement over Masoli because he apparently has a real QB's arm and a mentality that wants to use that arm as much as his legs. But I do think that his size will effect his pocket presence against SEC defenses and if he gets hurt, we now have no one who has taken a snap to back him up. And I think that was by design...I think that because Mackey has some athleticism and that is what Nutt wants that just like in the Jacksonville State game he never intended to give a traditional pocket QB a real shot.

But I will be pulling solidly for Mackey and I hope that our lack of depth at the position will ecourage the offensive staff to have him distribute the ball instead of thinking he alone is the offense. So I have my fingers crossed that he will stay in that pocket and look for his receivers and hand the ball to the backs a whole lot to set up play action and only take off when necessary. If he does that I think our offense will be much more productive to this team as a whole even if they do not score as many points as last year...longer and sustained drives will help this defense as well. But above all else I will pray for him to remain healthy...because if he doesn't we are now sunk.
done

bleuwolfe wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:

You know what, you guys are absolutely right....four wonderful wins...the 4th worst scoring offense in the SEC in conference play, the second worst in the West behind only MSU...the third worst 3rd down conversion rate in the league (which always put the defense behind the 8 ball)...14 TDs 13 INTS...and oh yeah we are in great solid shape at QB as we enter this season...

d***, how could I be so *beep* blind.....it is an absolute Miracle that he was not named SEC Coach of the *beep* Year for the wonderful Masoli move!!!!!

I stand corrected...
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

You know what, you guys are absolutely right....four wonderful wins...the 4th worst scoring offense in the SEC in conference play, the second worst in the West behind only MSU...the third worst 3rd down conversion rate in the league (which always put the defense behind the 8 ball)...14 TDs 13 INTS...and oh yeah we are in great solid shape at QB as we enter this season...

d***, how could I be so *beep* blind.....it is an absolute Miracle that he was not named SEC Coach of the *beep* Year for the wonderful Masoli move!!!!!

I stand corrected...
why would you even subject yourself to the distraction from life that is Ole Miss Sports...if your so unhappy then why follow Ole Miss at all. Are you a masochist or something...I get (and so does everyone else) that you are unhappy with everything that is Ole Miss right now. Does it make you feel any better to beat your head against a rubber stump. Either get behind the teams or find a way to influence the changes you want. I don't understand why you would want to enrage yourself to the Nth degree that you obviously have. I will give you the last word.
Later,
Hagar
done

Hagar wrote:why would you even subject yourself to the distraction from life that is Ole Miss Sports...if your so unhappy then why follow Ole Miss at all. Are you a masochist or something...I get (and so does everyone else) that you are unhappy with everything that is Ole Miss right now. Does it make you feel any better to beat your head against a rubber stump. Either get behind the teams or find a way to influence the changes you want. I don't understand why you would want to enrage yourself to the Nth degree that you obviously have. I will give you the last word.
There is actually precious little that I am unhappy with as it relates to Ole Miss Hagar...Three of my five kids are in wonderful programs on Campus...the campus is more beautiful than ever...academics are in as good a shape as they have been in years...I spend almost every day extolling the virtues of Ole Miss to everyone I see in Austin (including many prospective students in my school district)...I, unlike virtually everyone else here, am very happy that Bianco is our baseball coach. I, unlike, most here believe that Nix is definitely a good Defensive coordinator, I believe Bolden may be the best running back in the SEC, I am solidly behind every team we have..nobody pulls harder every game and is happier when we win or more let down if we lose...There are actually only 3 things I am not happy with....1) I am concerned about the way the QB position has not been developed over the last 7 years and that we are skewing toward smaller athletic QBs that I don't think will allow us to consistently win in the SEC 2) I am not very happy with the basketball coach we have on or off the court and 3) the mascot thing is a joke....

And if I didn't love Ole Miss as much as I do, those three things would not bother me at all. It just so happens that 80% of the posts on this forum in the last few months (the vast majority of which have not been initiated by me) have been about 1) our basketball team, 2) our QB situation and 3) The mascot mess...now if you would like me to just say "I agree" to everything posted on those 3 subjects I guess I could do that, but I have hung around this forum so long exactly because we aren't just yes men for each other. Now if you confuse passion with rage I am sorry, but I have never pulled punches when it comes to Ole Miss. I have a full and wonderful life with five amazing children and an amazing and interesting, albeit quirky at times, Canadian wife and I understand where sports should be and is on my priority list...but make no mistake about this: Ole Miss Sports, for that matter anything about Ole Miss, is never a distraction from my life......on the contrary it is a life long and oh so precious PART of my life...a part that is shared just as passionately and entusiastically by my family as me..including the Canadian wife who wears Ole Miss shirts and jackets to work almost every day and two year old Eli who wears an Ole Miss cap to daycare every day.

If you don't want my opinion, then ban me (Lord knows that would save Rush some server space).....and y'all can all happily agree with each other...but even if I am not here, I will still be hanging on every moment of every football game this year and every year I have left until God brings me home and I will be hoping against all hope that Mackey or Stoudt or Brunetti or whoever is in the game leads us to victory over every opponent whose fans suffer the tragic misfortune of not being Ole Miss Rebels...and after the game I will voice my pleasure or displeasure with all of my valued friends who also have such great passion for the greatest place on God's green earth, like the ones I have here. And I will agree with some and disagree with others. But I will NOT just go away silently into the night...until that is God's mandate...which will be the greatest day of my life.

Thank you and God bless you all. Later!
beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

I know I am still a new boy here, however, it seems to me that it is just hearing the same complaints over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that is wearing some people pretty thin!

Stanley was not that good. Period. Check out his performance in the 2010 Cotton bowl. As for his performance against Jax state, if you were the HC and wanted to see how the new transfer was working out, wouldn't you put him in when the game was basically won??? Or would you prefer putting him in against a SEC opponent with a close game??? Jax state, and for that matter most of the ENTIRE disappointing 2010 season lies on the shoulders of the DEFENSE!!! Masoli did better overall than Stanley would have, excepting the Tennessee game.

The thing that troubles me is that now we have talk starting about Nutt being a "QB killer"! To me this is unacceptable based just on last year and the handling of the Stanley situation, which I admit was wrong. I think we need to seriously be worrying about our defense. Our QB situation is not nearly as terrible as some (not just you, Chuck) are making it out to be.

As far as developing a QB out of High School, I think that is on its way out. Society has changed. Fanbases are not content to suffer thru a learning season or two. It seems everybody wants wins all the time, every season, without the developmental process that is necessary for H.S. players. Is this a good thing? Not in my opinion. But it is the way things are going and bitc*ing incessantly is not going to change society. No easy fixes, I am afraid.

Just my .02
Forward Rebels!
done

beachbumreb wrote:I know I am still a new boy here, however, it seems to me that it is just hearing the same complaints over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that is wearing some people pretty thin!

Stanley was not that good. Period. Check out his performance in the 2010 Cotton bowl. As for his performance against Jax state, if you were the HC and wanted to see how the new transfer was working out, wouldn't you put him in when the game was basically won??? Or would you prefer putting him in against a SEC opponent with a close game??? Jax state, and for that matter most of the ENTIRE disappointing 2010 season lies on the shoulders of the DEFENSE!!! Masoli did better overall than Stanley would have, excepting the Tennessee game.

The thing that troubles me is that now we have talk starting about Nutt being a "QB killer"! To me this is unacceptable based just on last year and the handling of the Stanley situation, which I admit was wrong. I think we need to seriously be worrying about our defense. Our QB situation is not nearly as terrible as some (not just you, Chuck) are making it out to be.

As far as developing a QB out of High School, I think that is on its way out. Society has changed. Fanbases are not content to suffer thru a learning season or two. It seems everybody wants wins all the time, every season, without the developmental process that is necessary for H.S. players. Is this a good thing? Not in my opinion.

But it is the way things are going and bitc*ing incessantly is not going to change society. No easy fixes, I am afraid.

Just my .02
Well teams like Alabama and Texas still believe in developing high school qbs but what do they know...as far as Stanley is concerned when given the chance to start he did just fine..but you guys will never admit that so enough said...as far as my "complaints" worry not. I will refrain from giving my opinion on the qb position here I will keep them to myself or find another place to do it. Enjoy the lovefest with your bear and the short term rental at qb. Go Rebs!
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

I'm a huge fan of RebChuck. He always disagrees with the popular comments and makes the board better.

Believe it, or not, he is what the 4-6 guys(not Boone or Nutt) that run our program want it to be. Unfortunately Eli isn't coming around again soon.

The better question is:

If Nutt had Eli instead of Snead, Masoli, or next year's QB; What would our record be, or have been?
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

carl winslow wrote:I'm a huge fan of RebChuck. He always disagrees with the popular comments and makes the board better.

Believe it, or not, he is what the 4-6 guys(not Boone or Nutt) that run our program want it to be. Unfortunately Eli isn't coming around again soon.

The better question is:

If Nutt had Eli instead of Snead, Masoli, or next year's QB; What would our record be, or have been?
I agree with you 100 %...you gotta admire his passion for Ole Miss.
Later,
Hagar
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:
carl winslow wrote:I'm a huge fan of RebChuck. He always disagrees with the popular comments and makes the board better.

The better question is:

I really, really like RebChuck18 aka DONE...but for somebody who passes out criticism like fans at a tent revival, he sure is sensitive to criticism.

Oh, and there's this from South Alabama..re: the QB Nutt ran off last year.....

[b]"Unfortunately we are leading off with some not so good news. It appears that Raymond Cotton's short time as a South Alabama Jaguar are over. Right after his exceptional performance in the spring game he was suspended due to poor academic performance. Indications are that he is so far behind that it will impossible for him to recover in time to play this fall. It is very likely that he will be leaving school and perhaps follow in his father's footsteps and joining the military. Other players with academic concerns are Kendall Houston, Audoniss Madison and Sean Kennedy, but their situations are no where near as dire as Cotton's."[/b]
------------------

Hagar wrote:

The better question is:

As do I. But one thing he seems to forget is that the QB situation we're in now started with Jevan Snead...NOT Masoli or Stanley. I daresay had Snead actually performed up to his ability and potential in 2009 then returned for his senior season and NOT run off because he was afraid of competition, Masoli would have never been a Rebel and Cotton just might still be in Oxford. The situation we're in now is NOT completely Nutt's doing.