Think back - Butch Davis fired

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

cajunrebel

Think back to when Coach O was underperforming and then fired and Butch Davis' name was being tossed around as a possible replacement. UNC has been through a lot of turmoil since he stepped foot on their campus. I just wonder why they waited all this time to cut ties. They must be really, really, really, really worried about the heavy hand of the NCAA. Thoughts?
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
03rebs

Think even further back when Cut was fired and many on this board (including myself) wanted Orgeron, but about 1/3 of the folks wanted Butch Davis (even though he was temporarily out of the picture due to his health).
Forward Rebels!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

03rebs wrote:Think even further back when Cut was fired and many on this board (including myself) wanted Orgeron, but about 1/3 of the folks wanted Butch Davis (even though he was temporarily out of the picture due to his health).
I never wanted Orgeron. I was very disappointed with that hire (of course, I never thought that Cutcliffe should have been fired). I did try my best to support him for three torturous years, although I'd get excited during recruiting season.
03rebs

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, and I regret wanting O. But, we live and learn.
Forward Rebels!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

03rebs wrote:Yes, hindsight is 20/20, and I regret wanting O. But, we live and learn.
yep. Life would be so boring if we called all of them right I suppose. I know that I won't ever know. I feel that I was vindicated in not wanting oregeron, but for every one that I call right, there are always a handful that I call wrong. Heck, I thought last year was going to be a good year.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Davis still is an excellent coach. Think most schools would welcome his coaching ability. Obviously, what has went on at UNC is very bad. Not sure how much was his doing (sure his hands aren't completely clean). Think any school that is/was struggling would welcome someone of his coaching pedigree.

He had spent quality time in the NFL, won on the collegiate level and was hungry to prove himself again. Who wouldn't have taken him????? Oregeron was a proven recruiter that many felt like could develop into a decent HC. In both cases, the ending turned out poor. Look at Usc with Spurrier. Think they've gotten what they wanted out of him? Most of us would've taken Spurrier in a heartbeat (based on Merits alone). He wins his division but loses 5 games in the process. Not exactly what you are paying him for IMHO.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Spurrier left to go to the NFL and they paid him like $5M a year to do it before $5M was thrown around like a Tijuana hooker. So Spurrier is not really comparable to Butch. Butch has major baggage and I doubt he will land on his feet anywhere in a major conference right now the way the NCAA is going after folks. O was an assistant coach he wasn't even the Defensive Coordinator for USC when he was hired off of USC's cheating by PC was the reason O was even interviewed and Boone was stupid enough to hire him. This is my main problem with Boone was hiring that moron. And Cut was very ill and wasn't recruiting so he needed to go.

Our choices from major programs consist of previously embattled NCAA coaches (Butch, Ericsson), coordinators (off the hot list), assistant coaches that can recruit but never managed a program, and washed up coaches. If we have to go through another coaching search anytime soon can we get someone who has been a winner of a head coach at a lower division that was an assistant in the SEC or some other major conference for awhile then wanted to be a head coach so he took a lower program to get the chance. I hate coordinators turned head coach bc they don't have the drive to go take it. They wait for it to be given off the back of someone else system. Some absorb it and do well but most coaches that are truly successful learn it on their own somewhere else.

Rant on coaching searches for the month. Check!
fenderman
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Look at how he as recruited the last few years, unheard of at UNC which has what maybe been to 3 bowls in the previous 35 years before he got there. BTW I didnt like O or Cutt, we need a fork up the $$ for a proven winner that can compete in the NFL farm league, AKA The SEC West