BYU Fan Here

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

voltage34
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hey Guys

I've been reading a bit on your message boards and just wanted to give my two cents. I'm a huge BYU fan living in Texas and I will be at the game next week. I'm really looking forward to the visit, I've heard great things about the Grove! I hope the BYU fans that have been on this site and any of the others haven't *beep* you guys off too bad. A majority of BYU fans are extremely classy. I think you will find that next week when we come to the game. I'm the type that does not want to give another team any extra motivation for wanting to beat us and I hope we haven't done that by any stupid comments. What you can expect next week is for a bunch of extremely sober Mormons to show up in pretty good numbers from across the country to support the Cougs. I've been to games from the east to the west coast and we have always brought a pretty decent number. This game is huge for BYU fans because of the whole independence road we have decided to travel down (we'll see what TA&M might do about that). Ole Miss may have been picked at the bottom of their division, but trust me, we have a lot of respect for any SEC team, period. If we were playing you guys last year, BYU loses this game by at least two touchdowns. I know you guys had your own struggles too, but we just plain sucked the first half of the season. There was a number of reasons for this that I won't bore you with, but some huge changes took place during the middle of the season that completely turned things around and some major off-season coaching changes as well. I've followed BYU since I can remember (only 30 now) and cannot recall a season where we have had this much talent coming back. If you go through our media guide you will see what I mean. We were very young last season. Our quarterback and best receiver were both freshman. I've read a lot of other people's key to the game thoughts and just wanted to give my two cents. BYU will force Ole Miss to beat them through the air. They will stack the box and be playing two deep at every position often on the front seven to keep guys fresh against your very good offensive line (Phil Steele has Ole Miss and BYU's O-lines ranked in the top 10 I think). BYU will be expecting a fairly conservative game called by Nutt. If you guys get us guessing and make our LBs and safeties play honest defense, Ole Miss has a great chance of winning. If BYU's defense can control the run game, I like BYU's chances. I've watched a lot of SEC games over the years and you will see that BYU's offense is much different than what you typically see each week. It will be wide open, a lot of passing and some serious shots will be taken long. The nightmare scenario I think in every BYU fan's mind is seeing your O-line blowing open holes and you guys running the ball at will and watching our defense start to get their hands on their hips and be on an IV before the 4th quarter...I did live in Utah for a long time and Provo is no picnic in the summer either, so I hope they will be somewhat ready. Living in Houston I know how humidity can play a huge part though. Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I look forward to the visit this next week.