Who is our QB?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I thought Stoudt looked good until Nutt or Lee decided to pull him early in the 3rd Quarter. I wanted to see Mackey play as much as anyone, but Stoudt seemed to loose his rhythm sitting on the bench. Other that the option, I wasn't that impressed with Mackey's QB ability. Stoudt never seemed to find his rhythm after he got pulled the first time.

The O-Line has to toughen up for Stoudt to succeed.

I just wish someone (aka Nutt or Lee) would mske a QB decision and stick with him until the game is well in hand and we're running down the clock.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

proud2breb wrote:I thought Stoudt looked good until Nutt or Lee decided to pull him early in the 3rd Quarter. I wanted to see Mackey play as much as anyone, but Stoudt seemed to loose his rhythm sitting on the bench. Other that the option, I wasn't that impressed with Mackey's QB ability. Stoudt never seemed to find his rhythm after he got pulled the first time.

The O-Line has to toughen up for Stoudt to succeed.

I just wish someone (aka Nutt or Lee) would mske a QB decision and stick with him until the game is well in hand and we're running down the clock.

I don't understand what Mackey could have done to look better? He threw one pass that was completed for 18 yards. He rushed for positive yardage, ran a naked boot that basically sealed the game. I thought Stoudt threw the ball well early, just as he did last week. The problems we had with Stoudt are the same problems we had last week, he doesn't move very well so pressure gets to him. The last 3 passes he threw were late and would have been picked off with any type of speed in the secondary. He scares me to death down the stretch of games. If he is getting pressured heavily against BYU and Southern Illinois what will happen against SEC D-lines? When Mackey entered the game I don't think Stoudt had any real rythm. He threw for 118 so I don't think its fair to act like he was setting the woods on fire at any point. I am normally not a fan of rotating qbs but I say rotate them until somebody clearly wins the job or a guy clearly has the hot hand during a game. If we are able to run the ball consistently we will be fine with Stoudt, if we can't Mackey has to play.
deadset
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Im a Stoudt guy and did think he lost his mojizzle after being pulledbut I still want to see Mackey too. But we have to stay with the pro-style Qb. I hate to say it, Relf was unreal in the pocket yesterday, and he and whats his name kept them in the game. Stoudt is the only guy who is what i would
say brave enough to stay in there and fire. He took a big hit yesterday as well and took it with a completion to Vinny Sanders.
I don't think Nutt trys to be the "qb killer", I think he has zero trust in them. Why recruit em if u dont open the play book open
and let it fly. I love my Rebels but don't see it happening this year.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

deadset wrote:Im a Stoudt guy and did think he lost his mojizzle after being pulledbut I still want to see Mackey too. But we have to stay with the pro-style Qb. I hate to say it, Relf was unreal in the pocket yesterday, and he and whats his name kept them in the game. Stoudt is the only guy who is what i would
say brave enough to stay in there and fire. He took a big hit yesterday as well and took it with a completion to Vinny Sanders.
I don't think Nutt trys to be the "qb killer", I think he has zero trust in them. Why recruit em if u dont open the play book open
and let it fly. I love my Rebels but don't see it happening this year.

In an attempt to make an argument for Stoudt you make the argument for Mackey... Relf is not a pro style qb, I am pretty sure he rushed for over 100 yards yesterday and stank runs a spread offense, not a pro style.
deadset
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Yes I know that, just saying relf was not thinking run first when
things collapsed.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

deadset wrote:Yes I know that, just saying relf was not thinking run first when
things collapsed.
You are correct. I watched him several times stand in and make a pass when a lot of QB's would take off.
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

That football is gold. Someone needs help Stoudt understand that.

Is he going to hand Vandy a free one on the five this week too?
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Stoudt
RebLG
Water Boy
Water Boy

With an arm like Stoudt, why are the rebs not taking more shots down the field? We have heard all spring about the speed, speed, speed in the receivers. Let's see it. I was unable to see the whole game but saw 90%. I only saw one shot down field and it resulted in a 15yd interference penalty because the corner was beat. It would also open up the run. Just wondering.
Reb LG
rebel556677
Scout Team
Scout Team

Maybe we are still playing a little vanilla before the SEC opens up? At least that is what I am hoping for. You are right, if we have speed and apparently a quarterback with an arm to throw it downfield with some accuracy, then we should be expoiting it to our best advantage
Just another day being better than State.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebel556677 wrote:Maybe we are still playing a little vanilla before the SEC opens up? At least that is what I am hoping for. You are right, if we have speed and apparently a quarterback with an arm to throw it downfield with some accuracy, then we should be expoiting it to our best advantage
It is not unusual to save a portion of your play book for conference play. It also is understandable to introduce the playbook slowly when you have an inexperienced QB.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Lee said Before BYU that the complete pb was installed. After SIU he said they were going to simplify it. Don't kid yourself.
Also ZS has played 2 OCC games and given up 2 TD's and came close to at least 2 ints last sat. If mackey or Brunetti had done that you'd be ready to run them out of town. He may be the best we have, but he hasn't proven anything yet. O yea snead had a good arm too.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bleuwolfe wrote:Lee said Before BYU that the complete pb was installed. After SIU he said they were going to simplify it. Don't kid yourself.
Also ZS has played 2 OCC games and given up 2 TD's and came close to at least 2 ints last sat. If mackey or Brunetti had done that you'd be ready to run them out of town. He may be the best we have, but he hasn't proven anything yet. O yea snead had a good arm too.

Exactly...
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

bleuwolfe wrote:Lee said Before BYU that the complete pb was installed. After SIU he said they were going to simplify it. Don't kid yourself.
Not saying Lee was completely honest in his statement about the playbook, but just because it is installed doesn't mean you use the entire thing. You install, then scale back based on what the team does well...better to be great at a few things than mediocre to average at a lot of things. Not saying we have been great at a few things.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

haven't you heard, our new motto is "twelve quarterbacks in twelve games"? We're actually a little ahead of schedule right now having played three in two.