cj johnson moved to DE

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

kjreb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

lack of production and depth has led to johnson being moved to defensive end. thoughts?
heard state's changing field to turf next year. cheerleaders kept eating the grass
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

If he can come off the corner at a 100 mph and take someone's head off I'm all for it.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
kjreb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

i hope he can make a difference in the back field and blow some plays up
heard state's changing field to turf next year. cheerleaders kept eating the grass
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

I have kind of mixed feelings. We need some LBs in a big way. However, it restores a little confidence in the coaches to adjust and make changes to things that aren't working. Thankfully we have someone like johnson who is athletic enough for both spots.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
rebel556677
Scout Team
Scout Team

Athletic, mean and fast, a deadly combination for a defensive end.
Just another day being better than State.
ReconRebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

What's happened to Kentrell Lockett ? Haven't heard his name mentioned during the games.
Only Gerald Rivers & Dorsey. Really need Kentrell back in the mix.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ReconRebel wrote:What's happened to Kentrell Lockett ? Haven't heard his name mentioned during the games.
Only Gerald Rivers & Dorsey. Really need Kentrell back in the mix.
He's playing, but sparingly. He's done ok, but nothing spectacular. He is still working on being 100%. If he ever becomes the old #40 again, he and Dorsey will be quite a disruptive pair.
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

I am confused with this. Aren't we thinner at LB than DE?
AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

Joel kight, ralph Williams, sedarius Bryant, and Keith Lewis are in contention for lb.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CJ is supossed to be pretty good at pass rush too. he asked coach how he could get on the field faster and this is it. Lord knows more pass rush will be helpful.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

carl winslow wrote:I am confused with this. Aren't we thinner at LB than DE?

a few injuries may have caused this but i think they are just getting the best 11 on the field.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

With Norman returning, Vandy is going to have a weapon to attack the edge. Our defensive scheme is vulnerable there. A linebacker is usually more adept at the latteral movement needed to turn the run in so we're moving a linebacker to DE to better contain the outside. It is also an effort to keep CJ happy by getting him on the field. He's also quick enough to give a good pass rush.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

JustBlues wrote:With Norman returning, Vandy is going to have a weapon to attack the edge. Our defensive scheme is vulnerable there. A linebacker is usually more adept at the latteral movement needed to turn the run in so we're moving a linebacker to DE to better contain the outside. It is also an effort to keep CJ happy by getting him on the field. He's also quick enough to give a good pass rush.
I have to believe they will limit CJ to obvious pass situations. He has never played with his hand down, per my knowledge, or had to take on a run blocker at the LOS. True he probably has better lateral quickness than Dorsey, Whigham, et al, but we rarely even used Shack on run downs from the DE position last season, so I doubt we will see CJ used the way you are guessing.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'