Kirby Smart

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Just got a text from a buddy if mine down in Alabama saying Kirby Smart was set to take the Ole Miss job. Call it a rumor if you like. I know how it sounds.

I will tell you that it was about 5 years ago when this same guy called me to let me know Mal Moore was going to fly down to Miami to hire Nick Saban. I called him crazy! After he called, I googled and couldn't even find a blog linking Saban to the Alabama job. Two weeks later Saban was denying the Alabama job, and the rest us history.

I don't know how he knows this stuff, but my friend Erick is a Bama Alumni member and well connected within Alabama.

My reply was "I'm good with that."
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

That is a real possibility if it is already done, because the 3 "leaders" swear they haven't talked to us yet. And I've already predicted the beans get spilled from the other side of the table.
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Meh.....
Team Dungy....
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Maybe they are floating all thus Hudspeth Freeze stuff so that we will be relieved when it is smart and they can pass that relief off as excitement. 8)
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It's going to be hilarious when we hire a name that has not been mentioned. I know that sounds crazy considering there have only been about 10 guys we have hired so far today.. I enjoy our coaching search but I truly believe that nobody knows what the hell is going on...
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:It's going to be hilarious when we hire a name that has not been mentioned. I know that sounds crazy considering there have only been about 10 guys we have hired so far today.. I enjoy our coaching search but I truly believe that nobody knows what the hell is going on...
Who are the other nine? And I'm not saying Smart "has been hired today.". But my source says he "will be hired."
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

MageeRebel425 wrote:It's going to be hilarious when we hire a name that has not been mentioned. I know that sounds crazy considering there have only been about 10 guys we have hired so far today.. I enjoy our coaching search but I truly believe that nobody knows what the hell is going on...
X2...I've been saying the same thing. I'm thinking its gonna be a name that hasn't neccessarily been floating around. But, having said that, the comments Saban has made about Kirby leads me to believe that he is going somewhere. I like Smart and think he could make a good HC with the right OC in place. Like its been said so many times before, you don't really know how much success there would be without Saban, but just learning from him over the years has to count for something. I understand he's also a hell of a recruiter. Anways, I like him better than the others being named.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

proud2breb wrote:
Who are the other nine? And I'm not saying Smart "has been hired today.". But my source says he "will be hired."
Freeze, Hudspeth, Dungy, Fedora, have all been hired today.. I have heard Gruden, Petterson, and Gus are all in the mix today as well. That's 7 that came from one source or another. Your guy might be dead on and this is not directed like your guy is the one that is not accurate. It's just there have been a lot of dead sources and pure rumors so I am thinking nobody knows whats going on.
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

I was told by a friend of Huds that he interviewed but did not get the job the same person told me it would be Smart or Malzahan. Out of those 2 I hope it is Smart. May not be a reliable source but this what I know
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

colreb1974 wrote:I was told by a friend of Huds that he interviewed but did not get the job the same person told me it would be Smart or Malzahan. Out of those 2 I hope it is Smart. May not be a reliable source but this what I know
Definitely prefer Smart over Gus. Especially after watching the interview with Gus' wife, she's a lunatic.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:
proud2breb wrote:
Freeze, Hudspeth, Dungy, Fedora, have all been hired today.. I have heard Gruden, Petterson, and Gus are all in the mix today as well. That's 7 that came from one source or another. Your guy might be dead on and this is not directed like your guy is the one that is not accurate. It's just there have been a lot of dead sources and pure rumors so I am thinking nobody knows whats going on.
Freeze is the only one I heard was actually hired, but that was OLD news. I have heard some of those other names as being in the mix.
joe_t25
Scout Team
Scout Team

Smart is a bad hire and I will take the wait and see attitude but its easy to coach D when Saban brings in 5 star d lineman for you to coach. Not a good hire at all we could do WAY Better!
Pain Dont HURT!
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

I'll give Kirby Smart 3 seasons even though I am out of patience and here is why:

1. When has he ever not had a good defense?
2. When has he ever not been on the recruiting trail?
3. When has he ever let us beat him?
4. I hate Alabama and this hire will give us a chance to compete within 3 years.
5. Go to hell LSU.
We Are Ole Miss
joe_t25
Scout Team
Scout Team

Being on Nicks coat tails makes a lot of folks look good, sorry but just dont like the idea of him leading us, we can do better. And I dont need anything from Alabama, Tennessee, LSU or State. Please make a good hire, not just the popular hire for the moment. We are in a BCS Conference, we have good facilities and have a great fan base. Someone can win and win big here. Remember Nutt flourished off of Coach O's classes and he even lost two up by two touchdowns on Vandy and SC at home, we could have been even better those two season had we had a good coach, not just the Popular Choice at the time. Make a good hire.
Pain Dont HURT!