Kirby Smart

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:IMO sumlin is the best candidate but I keep hearing he is not interested. I am just not sure if we expressed our interest strongly enough. But of all the coordinators out there smart is as good as any. He wont have me dancing in the streets or anything but he wouldn't be the flat "thud" that either of the rookie Sunbelt coaches would be.
IMO, Sumlin isn't our guy. I don't even really have a solid reason as to why I feel that way. He has a great kid at quarterback right now and puts points on the board, but I don't think he'll be able to do the same things in the SEC.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:IMO sumlin is the best candidate but I keep hearing he is not interested. I am just not sure if we expressed our interest strongly enough. But of all the coordinators out there smart is as good as any. He wont have me dancing in the streets or anything but he wouldn't be the flat "thud" that either of the rookie Sunbelt coaches would be.
IMO, Sumlin isn't our guy. I don't even really have a solid reason as to why I feel that way. He has a great kid at quarterback right now and puts points on the board, but I don't think he'll be able to do the same things in the SEC.
Respectfully disagree for reasons I have enumerated before...great record as BCS conference OC and success as a HC ..his team is not just Case Keenum and is not just about putting points on the board...it is at or near the top of almost every meaningful offensive, defensive, and special team categories in a 12 team league...great in game adjustments all year. most complete team I have seen play this year and I have seen six of their games.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:
WildRebel wrote:
Respectfully disagree for reasons I have enumerated before...great record as BCS conference OC and success as a HC ..his team is not just Case Keenum and is not just about putting points on the board...it is at or near the top of almost every meaningful offensive, defensive, and special team categories in a 12 team league...great in game adjustments all year. most complete team I have seen play this year and I have seen six of their games.
Can't speak on his team truthfully as I haven't seen them play, but will be watching them play southern. Maybe he could make something happen? Thats what is so aggitating about hiring a coach. You don't know what will happen. We know that better than anyone. I think everyone at this point is a risk.
Married An OM Girl
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

This is a summary from last night. Also, at the meeting with the players, Archie apparently told them that it was down to two candidates, and it would be announced by the end of the week.

Conflicting reports on the Kirby Smart deal. . . . The "news" today that Alabama Defensive Coordinator Kirby Smart's candidacy as the new head football coach at Ole Miss has gone viral in the last four hours or so.

We have several sources at Alabama and otherwise who are close to the Smart situation. To be honest, the reports from those sources we are getting have been conflicting and we don't know which ones to believe, but one has to believe this is a lot of noise for something not to be up.

Smart has been said to be a candidate from the start of this search, but in recent days - until today - it seemed as if his name had cooled somewhat. Now, we have one source saying there's something to the latest talk, that things have heated up with Smart, and he is currently scrambling to put together a staff. "Head To Head" with Richard Cross and Matt Wyatt have reported that Archie Manning and Mike Glenn are in Tuscaloosa tonight to interview Smart and they felt he would be offered the job. Meanwhile, today, Alabama Coach Nick Saban, while saying he would support Kirby in his quest for a head coaching job, indicated nobody has asked him to talk to Kirby. (Perhaps contact was made after Saban's comments.)

Another source we have who is close to Kirby said as late as 5 p.m. central that Kirby "has not indicated he was looking in Ole Miss' direction." Smart has been linked to other head coaching opportunities as well.

We sent a text to Archie Manning asking if he was in Tuscaloosa tonight knowing what the answer would be. "I can't comment on that," he responded. Not a confirmation, but not a denial either.

Bottom line? We believe, as we have all along, that Kirby Smart is a legitimate candidate. Where there is this much smoke, there is usually fire. We'll stay on it and see if we can get anything we fully trust, but right now, too many conflicts from sources for us to make a bold statement on Smart.

P.S. - A lot of people have been asking for us to guess on a timeline. We've tried to avoid that as much as possible, but we are getting enough trusted feedback now that our "best guess" is within a week to 10 days from today, and maybe sooner.

Once a coach is in place, we do not anticipate any dragging of the feet, so to speak, to name an athletic director, even though our list of names for that position has grown a bit stagnant, i.e., not much movement from our original list.

P.S.S. - I also text Manning this morning and said: "If I ever want a secret kept, I will tell it to you and Mike Glenn." His response: "Good choice."
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SpiritChuck
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

for the record, I've been saying for nearly two years that Kirby Smart needs to be our next head coach. Now, I wish I could say that I've never been wrong, but anyone who has read my posts knows better...
joe_t25
Scout Team
Scout Team

To me this is settling, there should have been a whol bunch of names talked to before we went this route, I dont care what his pedigree is. Not the worst thing, but Im not real happy.
Pain Dont HURT!
kjreb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I for one like it :P
heard state's changing field to turf next year. cheerleaders kept eating the grass
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

no matter who get, some will like it and some won't. There is a risk involved in changining coaches and there is no guarantee that success at one school will equate to success at another. We won't know for sure how a hire will work out for a few years.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I had to laugh when I read this:

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_108574/ ... d=oJ6Rkbgq

Says sources close to Smart claim that he has NOT even interviewed for the Ole Miss job. For me, this confirms that Smart will be named our next head coach by the end of the week.
cajunrebel

proud2breb wrote:I had to laugh when I read this:

Says sources close to Smart claim that he has NOT even interviewed for the Ole Miss job. For me, this confirms that Smart will be named our next head coach by the end of the week.

By going to the Saban school of denial, this would be true. See exhibits A, B and C.

Dec. 21:
Saban: "I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach. ... I don't control what people say. I don't control what people put on dot-com or anything else. So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach here."

Dec. 27:
Saban: "I'm just making a rule to never comment on something like that again because every time you comment on it, it just makes for another story. So I'm not going to comment on it five years from now, and I'm not going to comment on it next week."

Jan. 4: Takes the Alabama job
Saban: "What I realized in the last two years is that we love college coaching because of the ability that it gives you to affect people, young people. ... If I knew that my heart was someplace else in what I wanted to do, I don't think it would be fair to the [Dolphins] organization if I stayed."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2718488
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

cajunrebel wrote:
proud2breb wrote:I had to laugh when I read this:

By going to the Saban school of denial, this would be true. See exhibits A, B and C.

Dec. 21:
Saban: "I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach. ... I don't control what people say. I don't control what people put on dot-com or anything else. So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach here."

Dec. 27:
Saban: "I'm just making a rule to never comment on something like that again because every time you comment on it, it just makes for another story. So I'm not going to comment on it five years from now, and I'm not going to comment on it next week."

Jan. 4: Takes the Alabama job
Saban: "What I realized in the last two years is that we love college coaching because of the ability that it gives you to affect people, young people. ... If I knew that my heart was someplace else in what I wanted to do, I don't think it would be fair to the [Dolphins] organization if I stayed."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2718488
Yep, forgot about that, sounds like a done deal to me. :lol:
Randy
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

They can say what they want but he has been contacted. I would think they are just crossing T's and dotting I's now unless Satan becomes a hard ass about it. If that happens there is another plan in place and it may not be what alot of people want but it is what it is.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Interesting story... If it is from the Clarion Ledger:

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2011/ ... on-update/
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Still on the Sumlin bandwagon? I have to admit I was shocked by that final score.

That question should be does anyone in this forum want Sumlin after today?
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

proud2breb wrote:
Still on the Sumlin bandwagon? I have to admit I was shocked by that final score.

That question should be does anyone in this forum want Sumlin after today?
I would still love to have him as will A&M. But they played as poorly today as they possibly can. Think he will be in College Station by Monday. And I think he will thrive there.