Why not Freeze?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see a lot of positives in the hiring of Freeze, just wondering why there seem to be so many that are negative on the hire.

I had heard several other school were high on Freeze, but Ole Miss was the one that would get him if we offered. Apparently Tulane was interested, Illinois was interested, UNC was interested, Memphis was interested (and waiting to hire him if Ole Miss didn't), if Fedora leaves Freeze was the next coach at USM (Definitely, they were going to go after him hard and heavy). Kansas was interested - and I am probably missing some others.

Recruits are already tweeting about him - in a big way. They are excited, and are hearing from their friends that have been around him or played for him and they are all looking to visit Ole Miss. Ultimately, if the kids are excited, we should be excited.

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Good post....thanks, we need to move forward, support a Coach who wants to be in Oxford and unite behind this guy.....
jeff967
Scout Team
Scout Team

right now he is my coach!!!!!
one of Flop's sons
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I will be shocked if even tulane hires a coach with this little experience, much less unc. And since when do we look at tulane or Memphis as a standard of success on any athletic level.

And maybe some recruits around Mississippi may have heard of him but we need to expand our recruiting base, not shrink it.

And the whole process appears to be such a sham....Archie said we looked far and wide to find the most qualified candidate and that candidate is Hugh Freeze...I love Archie but that is insulting to our intelligence.

But the kool aid drinking has already begun, so the cycle continues. What a shame. What a sham.
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

I disagree - we want someone on the way up, and this could be the guy. I will trust Archie that he looked at everyone and made the correct choice. The best thing to do right now is hold back until we hear the "why". Archie will surely fill everyone in on his thinking as time goes on - I do not DARE to think I know as much about football or coaching as Archie. Shoot, his kids know more about football than most of our highly paid SEC coaches.

Eli and Oher have already been tweeting about it. If former players and recruits aren't excited, they would be saying NOTHING.

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just tweeted that he will not coach ASU - he's coming to town to go to work. That's a big move, give up your first bowl game.

Later,
RushB
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

I take back my previous post about Archie dropping the ball. After reading up on him I am convinced he is an perfect fit for OM. I will be glad to call him coach, and give him proper time. But he needs to surround himself with the right support group of coaches. That will tell the tell.
scott
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RushB wrote:Just tweeted that he will not coach ASU - he's coming to town to go to work. That's a big move, give up your first bowl game.

Later,
RushB
Good to hear and definitely what was needed. Say's a lot about an individual and what he thinks about his new endeavor to give up his crowning achievement to date.
Randy
olemissrebels236
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Well, again, he is not and was not anywhere close to the top of my list. However, It will be interesting to see what he can do this off season with recruiting and next season on the field. I'm trying not to cast the first stone, but I'll still stand behind him 100% so hopefully we can get our program back on track. I've read in other threads where some are jabbing at how many wins we should have next year, but I say that if we can win all of our non-conference games and the egg bowl, that would be tremendous success and I would be happy with that. If that was all we won, it wouldn't get us to a bowl, but hey, it is a step or two in the right direction!

This is kind of like the 2008 presidential election....when I read that Obama was elected, I was like for the mother of love, but then I was like, "Okay, so he IS our next president, so I'm going to try to stand behind him and hope he does a good job." Maybe our HC and football program doesn't turn out the same way...
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I disagree with all those who say that Freeze is not a good hire. I think he may be the perfect fit for Ole Miss. I believe a major criterion for the hire this time around was to determine the coach's interest in hanging around if successful. Most successful coaches at one time were either coordinators or head coaches at smaller schools. A successful head coach is always a better bet than an unproven coordinator. I'm impressed with the way Freeze turned Arkansas State around immediately. He's a Mississippi guy, and the future is bright for Ole Miss football with the facilities campaign.

I'll even go as far as to predict that Ole Miss could easily win 7 to 8 games next year and be bowl-eligible after the first six games. 1) The athletes we have will be coached. They were not last year. 2) The schedule is favorable. Central Arkansas, UTEP, Texas, Tulane, Florida and Vandy will be our first six games. Five will be home games in Oxford, and the Tulane game will be a home game in the Superdome. Once again, we will be catching Florida favorably in our home and home with them. Muschamp may or may not be a good head coach, but this will not be an Urban Meyer-caliber Florida team regardless. I find it hard to believe that big-time Texas boosters will not want Mack Brown to retire after back-to-back 6-7, 7-5 seasons. The Dallas Morning News reported that this 'stepdown' was in the works. I believe Texas will have a new coach, and I don't think the Texas team we will play will be a championship-calibre Texas team. I also believe the best-coached team we will face during our first six games will be Vandy. But that doesn't mean we can't beat them.

Should we start out 5-1 or 6-0, wins against Auburn and State at home will net us 7 or 8 wins. Yes, I think it's doable. We have talent in the lower classes. You could see it on the field, despite the woeful lack of coaching and motivation by Nutt and his staff. Can we turn it around in one year? Yes. Can Freeze do it? Yes. I believe he fits the profile of a coach who gets the most out of whatever he has, making average players good, and good players great.

We do not need an up and coming coach who will leave like Tub. We do not need a burned-out fired coach with baggage. We need to believe in Ole Miss football again and stop arguing about stupid things like mascots. In other words, bear down and man up.

Welcome to Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze. You will make a lot of believers out of disappointed Ole Miss fans who have been stung by previous hires.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Rush some folks live in the land of candy canes and lolly pops. How many ole miss coaches before Nutt were division 1 head coaches when we hired them??? I am thinking.... I just don't get how they would be happy with a coordinator than a coach who is currently a head guy in division 1 and winning. I admit I am not like dang that is awesome, but how many coaching hires are like that. I think Leach might have come here, but I am not certain bc he was looking for a stable committed administration as a criteria and currently Ole Miss is not so he might have been playing the field to see if he could land somewhere more stable. I am happy that we got a head coach from a program who is winning under him. I think Archie being involved raised fans standards bc they thought he could convince a NFL guy or big name to come to Ole Miss. Fact is Archie hired the guy he thought was best for Ole Miss and not a guy who was looking to land a job.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

We do know one thing. For us to have any chance at all next year we will have to out coach teams because we won't out talent them. The texas game is going to be a very difficult game, regardless of who their coach is. What that game does present is the chance for a land mark win. Don't forget we also have to face Texas A and M this upcoming season, so the schedule as of now will be reconstructed. We will without a doubt have one of the top 5 toughest schedules in the country because we face texas, texas a and m, florida, at LSU, at arkansas, at Alabama. If we win one of those games we will be lucky.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Freeze was not my first choice, but I will have no problem supporting him until he gives me reason not to. Every coaching hire is a gamble on some level. I mean hell most of us were extremely happy with the Nutt hire and look how that worked out. Most of us were willing to give O the benefit of the doubt when he was hired. We have a man here who knows how to win and recruit, and most importantly he WANTS to be here!

Hotty Toddy!
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Yep this would have been the case with any hire. If you don't remember but saban only had 5-6 wins his first season at Alabama
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

the only thing that will bring this fan base together is winning and a lot of it, over an extended period of time and even then... :?: not sure its even possible