Why is the "team down there" our rival?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

I still don't understand it. I know "the team down there" is our rival, but I don't mark that one on my calendar. Why even address it in the press conference?

Last game of the year for us? It ought to be LSU - there is a lot of history and hatred there. I don't hate our brothers down there, it's always a fun game, and one I expect to win.

Now LSU - I don't curse, but they make me want to... the fans of the school down there don't compare to LSU fans.

Purple stripes on yeller britches...

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
cajunrebel

He only addressed it because a media person asked him about it. He gave a good response to it and got a round of applause for it.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Well I really hope we don't stoop to school yard chants. Their name is Mississippi State University.
beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:Well I really hope we don't stoop to school yard chants. Their name is Mississippi State University.
Uh, I don't think so. I favor Those Inbreds Down South! Or t.i.d.y, for short.
Forward Rebels!
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

I just do not see them in any way as our arch-rival. They desperately want us to be. But no, they are not. Never will be. And simply cannot be.
Our arch-nemesis has and always will be LSU, the fighting stinking tiggers. And we shall prevail once again (someday). M$U is just a stinking stepchild.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

When we start that school down under stuff we are becoming Mullen and validating him. If freeze wants to impress he should not emulate Mullen. And I don't think he was I think he was just answering a question but if he wants to represent ole miss with class he should call them Mississippi State. Players that want to play for grown ups will note the distinction.
cajunrebel

I say we just stick to calling them what we have always called them from the time I could walk through college and still do today.

They will always be known as MOO U
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
joe_t25
Scout Team
Scout Team

I want to beat LSU and State every year I dont like them, but when it comes to me I would rather loose to them than Alabama or Tennessee any day. I dont want them to win a coin toss at the beginning of a game. I think its kinda relative to where you live as to who you wanna beat worse. I live up near Memphis and there are alot of Tennessee and Alabama band wagon fans that I can't stand.
Pain Dont HURT!
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

for me its bamie and lsux. I want to beat msu of course, but it does not make the season one way or the other. the other two do
jeff967
Scout Team
Scout Team

rival list
LSU they know were to go
Bamma is the one we need to work on
Pigs no comment
Tennessee
Vandy thanks to Nutt has moved up the list
State
one of Flop's sons
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I want 9 to 12 wins regardless of who they are against....but if one of them happens to be LSU, daddy does the happy dance! 8) 8O :oops:
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Rebchuck18 wrote:I want 9 to 12 wins regardless of who they are against....but if one of them happens to be LSU, daddy does the happy dance! 8) 8O :oops:
I bet that is entertaining to watch. I also bet Thunder has a pic of it.......
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Of course old school Ole Miss fans all say Lsu. The non old school? Some do. Lsu is #1 rival and then its personal opinion. #2 for me is Ark. #3 is msu. After that I really don't have another team I call a rival. Bama has just given us too many beat downs over the years and *beep* auburn. Now as for msu being hailed as our rival you see now and then one of the peons of the world has a little too much tequila, starts mouthing off and yells they are either your equal or better. It doesn't move the up the rival list but it does mean they need some attention. I am ready to give msu some attention. I hope Freeze is too.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I was born in 1980. I remember the Brewer years to some degree. I remember losing to State was rare. Then came the dark times. And save for that sweet three year stretch under Coach Cut from '02-'04, we have struggled with State. I don't know where most of you live, but rivalry for me is defined by how much you hate losing to a team, not how much you love beating them. Maybe its cause I'm so close to Starkville, but I cannot stand anything about maroon and white. And that was before the loud mouth punk who owns us started coaching there. I hate losing to State. Hate it. Its embarassing, its disgusting and its a terrible thing. Do I think we should only worry about them? No. Are they the most important game on our schedule? Yes. If you can't win your state, in recruting, on the field and for all to see, then you aren't likely to win many recurits outta the state. Kids don't flock to UVA like they do VA Tech.

Anyway, for me thats the difference. I hate for Ole Miss to lose any game. But I can deal with losing to Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn and the other schools. I love for us to beat LSU, but I HATE losing to State. And when we beat State, its not a big deal. Because thats what we are supposed to do. I don't even gloat, because its like beating up a handicapped kid. Although when we do beat them again, I'm going to gloat. I'm gonna be a total jerk. And they can thank Dan Mullen for that.

No question for me, State is our rival. So is LSU, but that is a different kind of rivalry. The one with blood ties and that makes me want to fight is State. Hands down.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I can't stand losing to MooU.

I can't freaking stand LSUX period!
Randy