What kind of offense does Freeze run?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Listening to today's presser Q&A I'm assuming some kind of spread. Anyone have details? And do we have the personnel on the current team who can thrive in it? I know we have some WO's who will be very happy and good in a spread, but can any of our current QB's. Jeff Scott will prob love it. All I heard today was fast, fast and fast and that it is a problem for the Sec defenses (guess Lsu didn't get the memo, sorry ducks).

ON D he said they fly to the ball. Well great, but that doesn't tell me anything. He did allude to asu ability to stop the run - God knows we couldn't the pass 2 years so maybe we'll learn how to do that.

Any info appreciated,
joe_t25
Scout Team
Scout Team

It is his version of the spread more like Mike Leach.

Watch for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iO0NGr6hl0
Pain Dont HURT!
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

The offense jumped a mile after he took over - and do you realize the guy is 30-7 as a HC?

I just noticed that - usually your first year in at a school you have to eat some losses on your record before you can turn things around...

Hmmm...

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

Seems to be a great motivator, and that is something we desperately need right now.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

players are tweeting happy stuff - the O side anyway :mrgreen:
so that's a good start
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

I just thought of this. I wonder if this means the names are coming off the back of the jerseys now? There were no names on the backs of the A State players' jerseys.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Who really cares if the players have names on their jerseys.....it is a team (Rebel) sport...not an I sport....
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

rebangel wrote:Who really cares if the players have names on their jerseys.....it is a team (Rebel) sport...not an I sport....
I don't care. It is just an observation and a question.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ReservoirReb wrote:I just thought of this. I wonder if this means the names are coming off the back of the jerseys now? There were no names on the backs of the A State players' jerseys.
Good observation. I liked the no name jerseys of a few years ago. Maybe no name and navy/gray camo unis red numbers and gray hats/Ole Miss in red. Now that would be the way to start the new journey. Dress for success. 8)
drester77
Water Boy
Water Boy

It's not a mike leach spread it's more like OK state. My brother is a GA working with the oline and film break down
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I've been watching Freeze's post game press conferences in YouTube from this past season, and I'm really starting to like him. One of the media guys was asking him about a 2 point conversion that they went for (successfully) after the first TD of the past 2 games. Freeze responded:

That's not an automatic play. We practice it every week, and depending on the look the defense gives us after any TD, we take the extra (meaning 2 instead of 1) point when they lay it out there.

Another reporter asked him about his QB punting on 4th down. The specific question was "has he ever punted before this year.". Freeze responded:

I don't really know his past experience punting. Again, that's not an automatic thing. It depends on what is seen with the defense what play is run. Anybody can kick a football! You have a huge advantage when no one is ready to field it (punt). It only has to get over the D-line's head.

Sounds to me like Freeze believes in actually having more than one play that can be used depending on the look the defense gives you. Not that this is really profound, but it sure beats Nutts philosophy of one freakin play, and if the defense looks ready for it he called time out until they were gone (by the end of the 1st & 3rd quarters), then he just ran the play anyway... knowing they were ready for it.

I'm really starting to like Freeze! Check him out in YouTube.
asuato
Water Boy
Water Boy

ASU fan here. As for the jerseys...we had names on all but these. The material the black jerseys were made from didnt allow letters to be stitched. The offense you will like...very fast no huddle....Oregon is a very good example of what you will see. Multiple sets, varied formations out of the same sets. Very hard to defend...why we scored so much in games. Its a very fan friendly offense because the pace is so fast. He conducts practices that way also...very face paced and coordinated...he likes for the players, especially those new to his system, to get used to the up tempo pace of everything. Watch ASU play NIU in the GoDaddy bowl on Jan. 8 to see what Ole Miss will be running next year.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

asuato wrote:ASU fan here. As for the jerseys...we had names on all but these. The material the black jerseys were made from didnt allow letters to be stitched. The offense you will like...very fast no huddle....Oregon is a very good example of what you will see. Multiple sets, varied formations out of the same sets. Very hard to defend...why we scored so much in games. Its a very fan friendly offense because the pace is so fast. He conducts practices that way also...very face paced and coordinated...he likes for the players, especially those new to his system, to get used to the up tempo pace of everything. Watch ASU play NIU in the GoDaddy bowl on Jan. 8 to see what Ole Miss will be running next year.
that makes it sound like our defense is going to spend a lot of time on the field.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

asuato wrote:ASU fan here. As for the jerseys...we had names on all but these. The material the black jerseys were made from didnt allow letters to be stitched. The offense you will like...very fast no huddle....Oregon is a very good example of what you will see. Multiple sets, varied formations out of the same sets. Very hard to defend...why we scored so much in games. Its a very fan friendly offense because the pace is so fast. He conducts practices that way also...very face paced and coordinated...he likes for the players, especially those new to his system, to get used to the up tempo pace of everything. Watch ASU play NIU in the GoDaddy bowl on Jan. 8 to see what Ole Miss will be running next year.
Thanks for the clarification.
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

JustBlues wrote:
that makes it sound like our defense is going to spend a lot of time on the field.

....which scares me. Not because our defense will be that bad but just getting worn out. Whether we score fast or go 3 and out, the only difference is the points on the board. Just seems like a recipe for big halftime leads that get blown in the 2nd half....in the SEC anyway