Gee Whiz!

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

RushB wrote:He's good, and he has complete control over that program, that's why he has won.

I am not saying that Saban is not a good coach - I am saying that Saban could not have a winning season at, let's say - Memphis. I would bet my last dollar he could not have taken us to a bowl game...

Ok, Memphis - they don't care about Football, they are not in the SEC, don't have good facilities, no money etc. etc. If Saban is so great, let him go there and win - I will then admit he can poop gold.

I am saying that the difference between two men is not that great. Tell me one of you that would have believed me if I had said that Buster Douglas was going to knock out Mike Tyson.

If we are going that way, then Bill Snyder was the greatest coach ever. What he did at Kansas State far outweighs what Saban has done.

And yet - this awesome coach, the person that every sports expert in the US would say orchestrated the biggest turn around EVER - was 1-10 his first year, exactly one win better than his predecessor.

Nope, a TRULY great coach on the college or NFL level is no more than 3-4 wins better than any other good coach. At this level, it's more than just good coaching. I might could buy your argument on the high school level, but it doesn't wash in college or the NFL.

Later,
RushB
Interesting that you brought up Snyder at Kansas State. It illustrates the point that facilities don't make that much difference. Great facilities are terrific to have. But Snyder illustrates that it is mostly the head coach or nothing. Snyder made a winner of K-State for the first time ever. He won regularly, and their facilities were nowhere near what Texas, Nebraska and Oklahoma had. Then he left. K-State immediately stopped winning. Then they re-hired him. K-State has started winning again. If that doesn't illustrate that no school can win without a good head coach anywhere, nothing does. Stadiums simply do not win games.

That said, Ole Miss has an IPF to die for. That, plus a 70,000+ seat stadium, up from 60,000, is more than enough to win with the RIGHT HEAD COACH. Period.
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

I wasn't aware that our facilities were bad. Im just sayin'.
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JoeRebel wrote:I wasn't aware that our facilities were bad. Im just sayin'.
I've heard some folks say that our ipf is among the best in the conference.
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

I do know that the Tad Pad sucks. Or it did the last time I was there 3 years ago.
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Take a look at whay was going on at the same time - major facility improvements.

Later,
RushB

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm glad that the 1954 Milan high school basketball team in Indiana didn't know that it took the most talented athletes to win a championship! Hoosiers would have been a really crappy movie if they only won 2 games!
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:
JoeRebel wrote:I wasn't aware that our facilities were bad. Im just sayin'.
I've heard some folks say that our ipf is among the best in the conference.
I agree with this.

Call me naive, but I thought the facilities at Ole Miss were really a cut above the National average? I know that the Vaught is small-ish, but it looks pretty good to me.

I mean, the INPF is pretty sweet, our jumbo tron is a sweet as any, again, to me the Vaught is pretty darn nice too. As far as football goes, what else do we need to do?
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Ole Miss has done well facility wise.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

You can build a 100k seat stadium but you need butts in the seats. Sadly the population base and number of universities in Mississippi the only thing that will be positive about us expanding the stadium to 70k seats is more ticket revenue for the LSU and Bama game bc there will be an additional 10k visiting team fans.

I am not against bowling in the endzone I just think we should chairback the whole stadium which would net around 55k. I would rather have a full stadium for Kentucky or La Tech bc recruits just don't come to the big games and it looks pathetic when the stadium is not full.

Make the ticket harder to get and you will get better fans in the stadium. If you make it easier you get a bunch of people that leave at halftime.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

StrongRebel wrote:You can build a 100k seat stadium but you need butts in the seats. Sadly the population base and number of universities in Mississippi the only thing that will be positive about us expanding the stadium to 70k seats is more ticket revenue for the LSU and Bama game bc there will be an additional 10k visiting team fans.

I am not against bowling in the endzone I just think we should chairback the whole stadium which would net around 55k. I would rather have a full stadium for Kentucky or La Tech bc recruits just don't come to the big games and it looks pathetic when the stadium is not full.

Make the ticket harder to get and you will get better fans in the stadium. If you make it easier you get a bunch of people that leave at halftime.
an alternative is to JUST WIN some games, the more wins the more a$$es in seats
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

bleuwolfe wrote:
StrongRebel wrote:You can build a 100k seat stadium but you need butts in the seats. Sadly the population base and number of universities in Mississippi the only thing that will be positive about us expanding the stadium to 70k seats is more ticket revenue for the LSU and Bama game bc there will be an additional 10k visiting team fans.

an alternative is to JUST WIN some games, the more wins the more a$$es in seats
Yes but even when we were winning 9 games a season we only sold out 2 or 3 games. The point is population density within Ole Miss and pretty much the whole State. Also alumni base. We will be giving seats away even if we win the SEC west.

Why not just have the nicest stadium in the country it doesn't have to be big
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Our facilities were terrible circa 1990. Somehow, Billy Brewer managed to win 9 games that year in an outdated 41,000-seat stadium, and had we beaten Tennessee in Memphis that year, we would have won the SEC and gone to the Sugar Bowl. An argument for not winning because of facilities is now twenty-one years past relevancy. We are not at a recruiting disadvantage because our stadium seats 60,000+ with state-of-the-art club facilities. Once again, this proves that with proper head coaching, facilities come in second, or even third behind talent.

A winning head coach and revived program can support a 70,000+-seat stadium. Alone among the Mississippi schools, Ole Miss has the fanbase to justify that upcoming expansion. I happen to believe that hiring Freeze will put a hiring freeze on our need to look for a winner.
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

In comparison to most colleges, we have great facilities - in comparison to those teams that are in the top 20 year after year, we are no where close.

Oklahoma State proves my point - 2005, that boone pickens guy gives them like 100 Million, they were bottom of the barrel - now look at them. They have climbed each and every year since he dumped that money on them. Don't say it was Gundy, cause he stunk up the place his first year there.

Again, I am not saying it's all about facilities - but it's like 30% of the equation.

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Geez - I'll change my opinion when you guys show me that Saban can poop gold.

Later,
RushB

Come on man! He can't poop gold! He can only *beep* excellence!
LocalReb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Facilities certainly play a role in the recruitment process. However, our facilities are not far behind the teams you are talking about. In fact, our facilities are better than several other SEC teams. Us having a 100,000 seat stadium does not make sense. The IPF is state of the art and as good as any other teams. Arkansas' IPF does not even have AC. Tennessee's IPF was built in the early 90's. We do not have the fan base to have a 100,000 seat stadium, but the football facilities are very nice. There are several factors that help build a winning program, but the main one is character!!! Many of our players have not shown good character over the last several seasons, on and off of the field. This lack of character reflects directly on the leadership of the program.

You are either coaching it to happen, or you are letting it happen.