Hmmm. . .Did Archie already know this?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

cajunrebel

So there has been speculation about Kirby Smart and did/did not interview and why, etc. I just read this in the Houston Chronicle and wonder if this is behind the scenes knowledge and we just didn't waste our time to eventually get turned down. See the link for the whole article.

Interesting part:

An A&M insider said Richt is in the mix to possibly replace Mike Sherman, who was fired last week following four seasons and a 25-25 record. And Richt certainly fits the bill of someone who knows the Southeastern Conference – the Aggies' destination next season – inside and out.

Richt, 51, is in his 11th season with the Bulldogs, and won SEC championships in 2002 and '05. The insider said should the Aggies hire Richt, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart likely would then head home to Georgia, where he played for the Bulldogs.

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/arti ... 391067.php
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

cajunrebel wrote:So there has been speculation about Kirby Smart and did/did not interview and why, etc. I just read this in the Houston Chronicle and wonder if this is behind the scenes knowledge and we just didn't waste our time to eventually get turned down. See the link for the whole article.

Interesting part:

An A&M insider said Richt is in the mix to possibly replace Mike Sherman, who was fired last week following four seasons and a 25-25 record. And Richt certainly fits the bill of someone who knows the Southeastern Conference – the Aggies' destination next season – inside and out.

Richt, 51, is in his 11th season with the Bulldogs, and won SEC championships in 2002 and '05. The insider said should the Aggies hire Richt, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart likely would then head home to Georgia, where he played for the Bulldogs.

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/arti ... 391067.php
then Kirby's up the creek - Richt is signing an extention at Uga as we speak, per the Twitter
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Yea, I think this may have been posturing on Richt's part. As far as Archie knowing this, the dismissal of Sherman was a relatively late developing item, so probably not.
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rebchuck18 wrote:Yea, I think this may have been posturing on Richt's part. As far as Archie knowing this, the dismissal of Sherman was a relatively late developing item, so probably not.
That wasn't late developing, I told yall this is one of the things that happened with the coaching search. Several of the coaches we were high on were waiting on A&M.

Smart would love to see Richt leave because he wants to come home to Georgia. At any rate, I was told Kirby Smart was "playing games" with us, and it definitely sounds like he was...

BTW, look at the message board, the fanbase was unhappy with Sherman for a while, the boosters had made the decision to remove him and it was a done deal back in October. Can't remember what game it was, but some money decided he was gone after the loss.

So I would say what I heard was true, that Archie knew, and Kirby was playing games.

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

After the Texas game the Sherman thing picked up steam, but A&M has had some financial issues and with the separation payment due the Big 12 there was serious doubt out here about them dismissing Sherman. But as with the decision to join the SEC, the Board of Regents basically overruled the Administration.

To say that things have become more fluid in Texas is an understatement. There are still rumblings about Mack's job security around Austin and that would have absolutely shocked me a week ago. Texas has expressed interest in 2 or 3 JUCO players the last couple of days (which is more than he has signed in the last six or seven years). So somebody is feeling a little heat here.

I certainly don't know the inner workings of our Search Committee, but it would appear to me that Freeze was a favorite, if not the favorite, early on. Either way, while some coaches may have been waiting to see what happened at A&M, I don't believe Archie was privy to A&M's thought process.

But that's just my opinion.
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know. I think that archie has so many connections that he probably knew what was going on at most other schools in the south. again I don't know but that's my theory. I do know that I was told that kirby smart was playing games.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:Yea, I think this may have been posturing on Richt's part. As far as Archie knowing this, the dismissal of Sherman was a relatively late developing item, so probably not.
"Posturing on Richt's part"? That is just crazy...looney...etc...
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

OMNOB 1A wrote:
"Posturing on Richt's part"? That is just crazy...looney...etc...
Well its gotten Georgia talking extension with him.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

He won 10 in a row to finish the regular season, won the State in recruiting in a big, big way prior to that, and was in position to land the number one Tailback (which came to fruition) in the Country before the ludicrous A&M rumors did abound.

His Defensive Coordinator, while a bit off color, is picking up alot of buzz for a HC gig, and UGA is poised to be a top 10 team next year. And if ya want to top all of that with a cherry, his QB will be a pre-season Heisman candidate.

Mark Richt was never, ever going to even flirt with the Aggies, and needed to do nadda in the "posturing" category to obtain an extension. Greg McGarity knew that, this isn't his first rodeo. Richt is a great coach, a great person, and as nutty as Dawg Nation can be, he is mostly loved.

The whole Texas A&M silliness was created by (and badly) by some member of the Houston media.

Period.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The real question for Archie "demigod" Manning is this:

If Kirby Smart would not even consider Ole Miss, then why did he interview for head coach at Southern Miss?
Chucky_38
All American
All American

proud2breb wrote:The real question for Archie "demigod" Manning is this:

If Kirby Smart would not even consider Ole Miss, then why did he interview for head coach at Southern Miss?

My guess would be because its a more attractive job. It is possible to win a championship there, its actually been done in Smart's lifetime. Plus USM does not have to run the gauntlet that is the SEC West. I can't blame any coach for not wanting to start their head coaching career at the toughest job in the country. Ole Miss expects the success of Bama and LSU with an atheletic budget a third of the size, a tiny (by SEC standards) stadium and a smaller school that is not only stuck in what is widely considred to be the worst state in the union but also clings to several images of a past that most outide of the south, and many within the south, consider to be quite shameful.

All in all, Ole Miss has a ton of things going against it when it comes to being a desirable head coaching gig. Heck, we give you four years tops to become a winning program. In other words, if you have two losing seasons you are gone. We gave Coach O three, but Boone also limited his recruiting budget the last year he was in Oxford and crippled his program in many other ways. We gave Cut one losing season and canned him.

I'm just saying, it is not a pretty place to coach.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

proud2breb wrote:The real question for Archie "demigod" Manning is this:

I am almost certain that Smart was interested in the Ole Miss job but passed over for Freeze.