Coaches press conference today

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

Hey any on you folks have access to RebelVision? Coaches Press conference today at 1030am...Just wondering what was said... thanks
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

It will be streamed for free sometime tonight on Rebelvision
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Via Twitter

RebSportsRadio Rebel Sports Radio
Freeze mentions there were issues with academics with some players from past semester. Said things will start be righted intersession.
26 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

HKellenbergerCL Hugh Kellenberger
Freeze says he'll call the plays. He's talking with Gunter Brewer and said he hopes Brewer will stay on staff.
31 minutes ago
Retweeted by SpiritBen

Coach Freeze says interviews with Strength coaches are occurring today. DB coach interviewed yesterday.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

if freeze is going to be calling the plays, I hope he is smart enough to realize that because something works in high school, naia and sun belt it won't necessarily work in the sec. if he doesn't tweak the offense he has used in the past, I do not believe that it will work in this league.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

bleuwolfe wrote:Via Twitter

Freeze mentions there were issues with academics with some players from past semester. Said things will start be righted intersession.

Freeze says he'll call the plays. He's talking with Gunter Brewer and said he hopes Brewer will stay on staff.
31 minutes ago
Retweeted by SpiritBen

Coach Freeze says interviews with Strength coaches are occurring today. DB coach interviewed yesterday.
FWIW football scoop is reporting Gunter Brewer to North Carolina and Larry Fedora's staff. If memory serves I believe Brewer has worked there in the past. I don't remember who's staff he was on then. If this is true, I hate it but I do wish him well and much success.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ReservoirReb wrote:

31 minutes ago
Retweeted by SpiritBen

FWIW football scoop is reporting Gunter Brewer to North Carolina and Larry Fedora's staff. If memory serves I believe Brewer has worked there in the past. I don't remember who's staff he was on then. If this is true, I hate it but I do wish him well and much success.

North Carolina: Despite reports, a source close to the situation tells me that Ole Miss assistant Gunter Brewer has not accepted a position at North Carolina at this point. http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching- ... icker.html

I'd like him to stay, but like you wish him the best if he goes.
The presser is up now on OMSports for CF and CW- Rebelvision free
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

bleuwolfe wrote:
ReservoirReb wrote:

31 minutes ago
Retweeted by SpiritBen

North Carolina: Despite reports, a source close to the situation tells me that Ole Miss assistant Gunter Brewer has not accepted a position at North Carolina at this point. http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching- ... icker.html

I'd like him to stay, but like you wish him the best if he goes.
The presser is up now on OMSports for CF and CW- Rebelvision free
I love the internet. All the speculation is awesome.

On another note, is it just me or does Dave Wommack look a little like Ted Turner?
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Heres a story on todays presser. He acknowledges that we are way behind in recruiting. I mean we have an sec low 10 players signed as of right now and signing day is fast approaching. For comparison, stank has signed 24 players.

http://www.nems360.com/view/full_story/ ... news_right
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

jrebel87 wrote:Heres a story on todays presser. He acknowledges that we are way behind in recruiting. I mean we have an sec low 10 players signed as of right now and signing day is fast approaching. For comparison, stank has signed 24 players.

Nobody has signed anybody yet. Until Feb. 1 everybody is still fair game.
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

rebelbear wrote:
jrebel87 wrote:Heres a story on todays presser. He acknowledges that we are way behind in recruiting. I mean we have an sec low 10 players signed as of right now and signing day is fast approaching. For comparison, stank has signed 24 players.

Exactly! I really like to keep up with the recruiting stuff but some of you get your panties all wadded up over nothing. No matter what Freeze does somebody is always *beep* and complaining. Let the man do his job for gods sake.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
Heath
All American
All American

colreb1974 wrote:
rebelbear wrote:

Exactly! I really like to keep up with the recruiting stuff but some of you get your panties all wadded up over nothing. No matter what Freeze does somebody is always *beep* and complaining. Let the man do his job for gods sake.
^^^^^Amen to that. People probably *beep* and complained when Urban Meyer was hired at Utah or Florida. I'm sure people in Gainesville probably said stuff to the nature of, "He's not going to be able to win in the SEC. He is from the Mountain West and that's not SEC style football." Two NC's later, I am betting those people weren't talking much!

Wow. 8O I can't believe I just agreed with ColReb74!
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

Hey Heath I am colreb1974 there is a colreb74 though. I hope you were referring to him and not me. LOL
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
Heath
All American
All American

colreb1974 wrote:Hey Heath I am colreb1974 there is a colreb74 though. I hope you were referring to him and not me. LOL
I think you are correct. My apologies.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

With all due respect Heath, when Florida hired Meyer he had almost 20 years of college coaching experience including at places like Ohio state and Notre Dame and he had already coached a non BCS school to a perfect season and a BCS bowl victory. Freeze coached at a school that is now closed and for one year in the Sunbelt...and while his team will go to the go daddy bowl he has never even coached as hc in a bowl game. So while I understand your point it is not quite the same and skepticism about this hire is understandable. Doesn't mean he wont workout but in reality USM today made a higher profile hire than ours. Lets hope our hire is genius and not just a hope and a prayer.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hugh Freeze has one year of experience and that is with a Sun Belt school. Several years of experience with a Sun Belt school might tell us something, but one doesn't. Gerry Faust showed us that wild success at the High School level doesn't necessarily translate into any wins in Div I and he had much more experience and success at the high school level than Freeze. I am very familiar with NAIA ball and quite frankly, it is not hyperbole to say that there are a handful of high school programs in the country that could beat a good NAIA team. Therefore, from what I can see, Freeze has three years of somewhat applicable experience as an assistant coach (all three were losing seasons) and one year of experience as a head coach. His one year as a head coach was most certainly a success, but a lot of bad coaches have one good year. He needs more years to show whether he is ready to coach at the SEC level. Unfortunately, that on-the-job training is coming at the school that I pull for. He very well could be successful. There is just no way to know. It was an extremely risky hire and quite frankly, we did not have to take such a risk. Honestly stating those facts as I see them in no way prohibits him from "doing his job". I will say a few things about how I see the job that he is doing so far. I confess that as much as I want to be, I am not happy with his hires. His defensive coordinator has a LOT of experience, but in the SEC and at Georgia Tech (the only big school experiences he has had), his defenses have not fared well. His offensive line coach has practically no applicable experience. He appears to be poised to be his own offensive coordinator. The one coach on the offensive side with experience (Brewer) has decided to leave the program. I do think that Kiffin is a good defensive line coach and from what I've been able to gather, his personality is probably closer to that of his well respected dad rather than that of his jerk of a brother. Although they haven't paid off yet-- the only commitment he has picked up is a two star offensive guard that he "stole" from Kentucky-- I have liked what I've read about his recruiting effort. He is our coach, however, and I will be hoping for his success and a correspondingly long tenure as our coach. We have some good talent, at least if they keep their grades up and their noses clean, but as everyone knows there are a few key positions where we lack depth. I will probably be at the spring game and at the first game of the fall and I will probably be just as optimistic at that point as I am every year at that point and hopefully I won't be let down as I have been the last two years. I am planning on having a lot of positive to say about the team after the spring game.