Brewer leaves

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Dec. 20, 2011

OXFORD, Miss. – Despite an offer to remain at Ole Miss, associate head coach Gunter Brewer is parting ways with the Rebel staff to accept a coaching position elsewhere, it was announced Tuesday.

“With the respect I have for Gunter and his love for Ole Miss, it is unfortunate that he will not remain a part of this program,” said Rebel head coach Hugh Freeze. “We did our best to keep him here, but we understand and appreciate that he needs to do what is best for his family at this time. Gunter and I have a great relationship, and I hope he can return to our staff at some point in the future.”

The son of former Rebel player and head coach Billy Brewer, Gunter joined the Rebel staff last January as passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. That was preceded by a successful six-year run at Oklahoma State as well as coaching stops at North Carolina, Marshall and Wake Forest.

This marked Brewer’s second term in Oxford, having served in graduate assistant positions 1988-90 under his father.

“On behalf of the Brewer family, I would like to express my gratitude for the opportunity to coach at The University of Mississippi,” said Brewer. “Coach Freeze and his staff have been nothing but professional in this transitional period. We have a great respect for each other, and it is unfortunate it did not work out to stay.”http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-f ... 11aaa.html

This makes me sad. Good luck Coach!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

would've been the best coach on the staff. this is a fail!
Some Random Dude
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

I, too, am sad. Good luck, Coach! Thank you!
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

While I hate to see him leave, I have to think that he would have been in a difficult position if he had stayed. Too many players would have thought they could "cry on his shoulder" when things were not going as they had in the past.....
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Was he more or less asked to leave or did he get an offer from fedora?
RebelBlackBear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Are you kidding? Crying on someone's shoulder? He was the best receivers coach the university has had in years! Look at who he has recruited over his career and how they have performed. The receivers at Oklahoma State are his, one of the few bright spots at the university this year was the receivers. Freeze never wanted him there and now he is gone. All of the really good ones leave pretty fast, maybe we should take the hint.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:Was he more or less asked to leave or did he get an offer from fedora?
It looks to me like an offer from UNC. Freeze has stated publically more than once that he wanted Brewer to stay. It was even reported that he hopes Brewer returns to his staff in the future. With that said, Brewer had the title of assosciate head coach. I wonder if he was no longer going to have that title if that played into his decision?
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:Was he more or less asked to leave or did he get an offer from fedora?

I believe he is going as OC which is a good step for him to eventually move into the HC position eventually. Freeze did try to get him to stay from all reports, but Brewer could not waste this opportunity if he is to move forward. I think we will see him eventually back here if the current group is not successful in turning around this program.