Boone vs Powe fiasco

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Anyone know the scoop on Boone banning Powe from using our facilities? I see a Ole Miss insider article, but I can't read it without a subscription. I got thus email today, and tried to verify it:

“Hey, Powe!  You still making fun of my dad!”

NFL player and Ole Miss favorite Jerrell Powe heard those words screamed at him in the Ole Miss football weight room recently.  As Mr. Powe stood with other NFL stars, he was stunned to turn and see that Ole Miss Athletic Director Pete Boone’s son, who never played football at Ole Miss and who works for Regions Bank, not Ole Miss, was yelling at him angrily.

Not to mention the fact that Jerrell Powe is 6’2”, 335 pounds, the audacity of a non-Ole Miss employee simultaneously treating our team facilities like his personal weight room and accosting one of our most beloved players is astounding!

The next day, NFL player and Ole Miss legend Jerrell Powe was kicked out of Ole Miss practice facilities by Pete Boone.

Boone called out at Mr. Powe disparagingly, “Hey Powe!  You make sure you come see me before you ever work out here again!”  It is widely known that Mr. Powe has been an outspoken proponent of change at Ole Miss, and he went public last year regarding Pete Boone’s efforts to keep him from playing football at Ole Miss.

As retaliation, Pete Boone has now personally banished one of Ole Miss’s current NFL players, a guy who dedicated almost seven years of his life to Ole Miss football.  Beyond that, he allows his own son to work out in that very gym and allows that son to mock our NFL heroes!  You want to talk about “uncivil”?

Pete Boone’s rationalization for forcing Mr. Powe to leave the Indoor Practice Facility (IPF) was a claim that NFL players who did not graduate are not allowed to exercise at Ole Miss facilities.  This is simply false, and we can report with 100% certainty that Boone picks and chooses which non-graduating former players are allowed to use Boone’s IPF.

Boone continues to treat Ole Miss like his own personal country club, kicking people out at will, yet, at the same time, letting his own family, who never played sports here, use the IPF at no charge.

We believe that all NFL players should be allowed to use the IPF, so we are not going to list those players who did not graduate but are allowed to use the IPF.  However, we have obtained personal confirmation that Boone’s policy is selectively applied to suit his preference.

Boone personally choosing which players to allow in the IPF is not new, and he treated Iraq veteran Tony Fein (RIP) and Linebacker Ashlee Palmer the same way.  Prior to Fein and Palmer signing with NFL, they were kicked out of the IPF by Boone for not having graduated.  Fein and Palmer had to literally sneak onto the field at Vaught Hemingway to train for NFL Pro Day, but, after they got on an NFL roster, Boone suddenly dropped his policy and allowed them back in the IPF.  Palmer, a Compton native, simply never returned to Ole Miss.

Fein and Palmer asked Pete Boone and other athletic staff for the policy that was used to kick them out of the IPF, but Boone could never produce this on-again/off-again policy.

That is unadulterated exploitation.  All the while, other more prominent players, players who did not graduate, were granted unfettered access to the IPF.

Today, if you speak out against a University official at Ole Miss, that public official will then use his authority to ban you from Ole Miss.  It’s a common refrain… “You either support Pete Boone, or we don’t need you at Ole Miss!”

No one desires to be forced to reveal such pathetic facts, but, in the case of Ole Miss, the public must stand up for our school and defend it against such a discriminatory despot.  If no one else will make a stand, we will!

It is a sad state of affairs when a lame duck failed athletic director is allowed to arbitrarily wield power – over publicly owned property – just to bolster his ego and to serve his son.

Voice your support for Jerrell.  He gave his all for us, and he does not deserve to be treated by a failed AD, much less his child.

This must change, and it is the duty of our Chancellor and governing Board to eliminate such discrimination once and for all.

---
All of the above facts were reported first-hand and verbatim from the parties involved.

Forward Rebels!
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

Ole pete needs to be dragged through the streets of Oxford by his short and curlys. That fool cant get out of town fast enough for me.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

There are just no words that can describe how mad I am about this.....
cacreb2000
3rd String
3rd String

Kick Boone out of Ole Miss. He's an embarrasment and a piece of crap.
HOTTY TODDY!!!
GO REBELS!!!
beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

pete boone = a grub worm in a turtleneck!
Forward Rebels!
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Boone would make a good tackling dummy and JP can take the first go, who;s wants the 2nd?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

For the record, and from a d*** good source, FR account of how it went down is incorrect.

Here's what I know.

Boones son did NOT confront Powe and he did NOT antagonize him at all. There were no words exchanged between them. The exchange happened between Powe and Boone, in Boones office where no one else was involved.

Boone DID tell Powe he was not allowed to workout in the IPF and it was completely and totally personal. There are zero NCAA, SEC or pre-existing campus/facility rules about football Alumni being allowed or not allowed to workout in the IPF. Boone choose to ban Powe out of spite, that much is true. And I'd like to string Boone up by the skin on his a** for this decision.

He is a CANCER to this university and an embarrassment to Ole Miss. PERIOD.

I think Boone should wake in the morning to a front yard full of signs, dead horses head and a front porch covered in cow manure. This guy has become a world class POS in recent months. I used to be okay with him "retiring" and remaining in some kind of "emeritus" role, but he can kiss my lily white *beep*!!!

I just wanted everyone to know the REAL facts, and not rely on some embellished garbage. The truth is not much better, but at least it's the truth.

Get. Boone. Out. NOW!!!
L. S. WHO?
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I have not liked boone for 30 years now. He could go all elton john on a mule for all i care about him.
GS1953
Scout Team
Scout Team

It is way past time for Boone to be gone. Search Committee get busy and get this guy replaced...We need all our past and NFL players involved in talking up Ole Miss.....And why is Boone's son allowed to use the IPF and ex-players are not....Sounds like more of Boone's antics.....Get this guy out....Go ahead and let him go and at least use an interim until we get a new AD hired.....
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GS1953 wrote:It is way past time for Boone to be gone. Search Committee get busy and get this guy replaced...We need all our past and NFL players involved in talking up Ole Miss.....And why is Boone's son allowed to use the IPF and ex-players are not....Sounds like more of Boone's antics.....Get this guy out....Go ahead and let him go and at least use an interim until we get a new AD hired.....
^^THIS!^^
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Boone has never liked Powe. There can't be enough bad things to happen to butthole boone as for as I'm concerned.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
cajunrebel

Boone is like the soap scum that won't go away in your shower. We need some CLR to clear his *beep* out of Ole Miss and Oxford for good.

The one good thing that Boone has done for Ole Miss is UNITE EVERYBODY in a common cause. EVERYBODY hates Boone and wants him gone. For that, I thank him.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
rebel556677
Scout Team
Scout Team

One thing about it. Soon he will be the "Former Athletic Director" at Ole Miss. A title he has needed for quite some time.
Just another day being better than State.
deadset
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

This makes me wanna destroy Ba-Boone's
GOB FACE! F'-ing hate him!
GS1953
Scout Team
Scout Team

Boone is not gone yet.....I can not wait for the day to come but I for one will believe it when I see it......Not much out of the search committee that I am hearing.....I hope they are not stalling and waiting for everything to die down.....