Book it

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

As an ultimate insult, state will be the fifth and final team invited to the ncaa tournament tomorrow, and we will get a 1 seed in the who give's a sh*t tournament. Bank it. After that we won't ever hear the end of it. We gave a good effort but yet again it wasn't enough to get to the tournament that matters. I think Ak has overstayed his welcome.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

And based upon a late season mini run against not so great teams, Boone will probably give AK an extension as a parting shot.
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

We are projected to be a 2 seed in the NIT....oh joy!
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Who cares about the Not Interested Tournament. All it is is a consolation tournament to determine who the 69th best team in the country is. The problem is AK thinks a NIT bid is acceptable and a worthy achievement. He said so last night: " All I know is we will have more basketball to play this year, whether it be NIT or Ncaa Tournament." What he should of said was that he only wants and cares about the big boy tournament. I would rather go the the ncaa tourney and get bounced by 20 in the first round then win the NIT.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Yall are crazy bashing AK. He's done a very good job with this team. Chris Warren and Zack Graham leaving, Dundrecous leaving, JK being a head case, and we go 10-9 in the SEC? Do yall even know anything about sports? Or do u get your jollies bashing Ole Miss coaches? I like to see who could do a better job here with what we have to offer. If u was a stud coming out of high school, and didn't have a college favorite, would u come to Ole Miss with it's leaky gym, or go to Ky. where u would challenge for the NC? It's hard getting top talent to come here right now. The 2 guys he has coming in this year, and with the whole team except Henry coming back, I think we are looking pretty good for next year. Newby runs a 4.3 40 and jumps 43". Don't know how accurate that is, but that was what was reported. Rivals ranks him a 4 star and the 18th top guard in the nation. And Cortesia Perez was re-ranked a 4 star by Scout and the #13 SF. Sometimes the mentality on this board is amazing.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

rebeljim wrote:Yall are crazy bashing AK. He's done a very good job with this team. Chris Warren and Zack Graham leaving, Dundrecous leaving, JK being a head case, and we go 10-9 in the SEC? Do yall even know anything about sports? Or do u get your jollies bashing Ole Miss coaches? I like to see who could do a better job here with what we have to offer. If u was a stud coming out of high school, and didn't have a college favorite, would u come to Ole Miss with it's leaky gym, or go to Ky. where u would challenge for the NC? It's hard getting top talent to come here right now. The 2 guys he has coming in this year, and with the whole team except Henry coming back, I think we are looking pretty good for next year. Newby runs a 4.3 40 and jumps 43". Don't know how accurate that is, but that was what was reported. Rivals ranks him a 4 star and the 18th top guard in the nation. And Cortesia Perez was re-ranked a 4 star by Scout and the #13 SF. Sometimes the mentality on this board is amazing.
I agree with a good deal of this.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

All I'm saying is that success as a major conference basketball team is measured not by how many 20 win seasons you have or how many times you go 7-9 or 8-8 in your conference (like we do every year). Success in college basketball is measured by either going or not going to the big dance. Do you not see an issue with the fact that we are the only team in the sec who hasn't been to the big dance in 9 years???? Every single team in the sec has been since we last went.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

jrebel87 wrote:All I'm saying is that success as a major conference basketball team is measured not by how many 20 win seasons you have or how many times you go 7-9 or 8-8 in your conference (like we do every year). Success in college basketball is measured by either going or not going to the big dance. Do you not see an issue with the fact that we are the only team in the sec who hasn't been to the big dance in 9 years???? Every single team in the sec has been since we last went.

And all I'm saying is we have the lowest revenue in BB in the country. There may be 1 or 2 colleges somewhere in the country that spends less than we do, but I doubt it. Look that up if u don't believe me, that's a fact. We have a gym that LEAKS when it rains. It's also gotten harder to get in the NCAA's than it use to. That is why even with the 20 win seasons, we haven't made it. AK's not perfect, and is not the best coach in the land. But he's at such a big disadvantage here at Ole Miss, that it's not even fair. He held this team together down the stretch, and that's a fact. They played very good defense and played team ball. I call that good coaching. They just don't have a shooter. He has most this team coming back with some pretty good recruits coming in. All this with almost NO support from the University. But u go ahead with your complaining.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Chucky_38
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:
jrebel87 wrote:All I'm saying is that success as a major conference basketball team is measured not by how many 20 win seasons you have or how many times you go 7-9 or 8-8 in your conference (like we do every year). Success in college basketball is measured by either going or not going to the big dance. Do you not see an issue with the fact that we are the only team in the sec who hasn't been to the big dance in 9 years???? Every single team in the sec has been since we last went.

And all I'm saying is we have the lowest revenue in BB in the country. There may be 1 or 2 colleges somewhere in the country that spends less than we do, but I doubt it. Look that up if u don't believe me, that's a fact. We have a gym that LEAKS when it rains. It's also gotten harder to get in the NCAA's than it use to. That is why even with the 20 win seasons, we haven't made it. AK's not perfect, and is not the best coach in the land. But he's at such a big disadvantage here at Ole Miss, that it's not even fair. He held this team together down the stretch, and that's a fact. They played very good defense and played team ball. I call that good coaching. They just don't have a shooter. He has most this team coming back with some pretty good recruits coming in. All this with almost NO support from the University. But u go ahead with your complaining.

Thank you. I'm very pleased to see that there are a few others who understand and don't just think WE ARE OLE MISS AND WE SHOULD WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS EVERY YEAR AND WHEN WE DON'T WE SHOULD...wait for it....FIRE THE COACH! Cause you know, there are fifty million GREAT coaches and prospective coaches that would JUMP at the chance to coach at Ole Miss. Really....coach basketball in Oxford. What a dream job.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

First of all if you don't expect to improve year in and year out, then you probably were a loser (sports wise) growing up. We have 5 20 win seasons and no tourney appearances. Guess what? We will either get better or get worse. I for one want to get better. AK has raised the bar to 20 win seasons, I applaud that and I want him to coach next year. But if we do this again next year, then I think it is time re-evaluate things. BTW rebeljim, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it.
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

for anyone not watching the show....State did not get in the Big Dance....Bama was the 4th SEC team behind KY, Fla and Vandy....
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

With the horrible facility and low revenue etc. Barnes and Evans took us dancing and had the fans excited. Next excuse please.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:With the horrible facility and low revenue etc. Barnes and Evans took us dancing and had the fans excited. Next excuse please.
RebChuck and all of you who feel that AK should be gone, you're right, Evans and Barnes did indeed take us to the dance, and given their track record since, not necessarily by their own accord.

Fast forward nearly a decade if you will.

The Tad Pad is nearly a decade older, and by that same measure, more embarrassing still. The SEC over that time period has become a tougher conference, revenue spent has remained the same for us, and history against Ole Miss has become more and more on the side of well, true-er, in the eyes of the oppositions recruiter and the blue chip recruit being sought after.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, we have a state of the art indoor practice facility and plans for a new arena forthcoming which affords Coach Kennedy some clout for the future.

However, let me take ya'll back to the season that was 2011-2012. Warren is gone. Graham is gone. D Nelson is shown the door whilst being your top scorer and point guard (a kind of important position, nevermind the points). Your McDonalds All American continues to be a bit of a head case, and you're left with the roster you got.

After all of that, you get to the Conference Semi-Final, achieve the coveted 20 win campaign, and get to to be a "bubble" team all while losing only one real contributor going into the next season where the future looks bright despite the a fore mentioned obstacles the program must deal with.

There is no way I think Kennedy is Knight, Rupp, Kre-errrrrr- Coach K, or anything akin to them, but, with our track record, how do we know? I know this, in the entire history of this program, he's the most successful. I know that through any SEC coaches first 6 seasons, Kennedy ranks right up there....and most importantly....you go ahead, be the AD for a day....who do you get that is better than you got?

AK, in my opinion, deserves to supported by our fan base. The future says that Ole Miss Basketball will in time get the support it needs to be successful, and in the meantime, Coach has done just about all he can do.

Go Rebs!!! You're in the NIT, let's go win this thing!!!
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

As a coach he underachieves. His teams play undisciplined street ball. And off the court he has embarrassed the university. We will always get the same from AK teams....if we are hot and remain hot for 20 minutes we win
If we have to rely on playing sound fundamental basketball, especially against well coached smart teams, we will lose mist of those and we will not have a program that will draw much loyalty from fans. When Evans and Barnes were here I lived ate and breathed Ole Miss Basketball. Early on in AKs regime I was turned off from a game I have always loved.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

SEC basketball has not gotten tougher. 4 tourney teams this year. If there was ever a chance to jump on the Tourney wagon, it was this year. SEC basketball is down and we still can't take advantage.

I was happy when he was hired. After seeing his product, I too stopped watching. I keep up with them and if they're on TV I'll watch them, but I don't go out of my way like I used to to get to the Tad Pad for games.

I don't think there is any way he's fired this year. And only losing one major contributor could be great for next year. Although, that one guy is Henry. That's a big loss. Given all that and the "next year" excuses. What if he doesn't get us in the tourney next year? Will we hear "next year" again? How many times do we hear it before it's not an excuse anymore?
Some Random Dude