Palm now has us as number 1 in first 4 out

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:But playing in the NIT DOES mean you are not in the big tourney with absolutely NO shot at a Championship. And, no, Chucky, I'm not demanding we win the championship like you keep saying I do. But, for once, just once, wouldn't it be nice to at least look at the field of 68(or however many they let in) and dream.

Speaking of expanded tourney bids. The SEC is down this year, they expand the tourney by what? 4 more teams, and we still can't get it.

I'm proud of the way they played those last 5,6,7 games. But where was that effort earlier in the season. That kind of effort early on, along with some dang free throw shooting, and we're probably in.
The Vandy game in Oxford is what killed us. If I was on the selection committee and reviewing teams, I'd see that game and say "uh, uh Jose. That team just might come in and stink up the tourney big time." With that said, even with the larger field, it is tougher to get into the tournament than it used to be with all the podunk automatic bids. I do not think that Ole Miss should fire Kennedy now, but he should be put on notice and certainly not be extended. Next year probably needs to be the last "next year". It's put up or shut up time.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:
lewindha wrote:But playing in the NIT DOES mean you are not in the big tourney with absolutely NO shot at a Championship. And, no, Chucky, I'm not demanding we win the championship like you keep saying I do. But, for once, just once, wouldn't it be nice to at least look at the field of 68(or however many they let in) and dream.

Speaking of expanded tourney bids. The SEC is down this year, they expand the tourney by what? 4 more teams, and we still can't get it.

I'm proud of the way they played those last 5,6,7 games. But where was that effort earlier in the season. That kind of effort early on, along with some dang free throw shooting, and we're probably in.
The Vandy game in Oxford is what killed us. If I was on the selection committee and reviewing teams, I'd see that game and say "uh, uh Jose. That team just might come in and stink up the tourney big time." With that said, even with the larger field, it is tougher to get into the tournament than it used to be with all the podunk automatic bids. I do not think that Ole Miss should fire Kennedy now, but he should be put on notice and certainly not be extended. Next year probably needs to be the last "next year". It's put up or shut up time.
I can agree to this. Except for the Vandy game being the only thing that hurt us badly. Overtime losses to Auburn and Bama, being up on Florida by double digits in the second half and still losing. They just couldn't finish back then. They got better, I understand that. But it was too little, too late. And Kennedy has had 6/7 years to instill that "FINISH" attitude.
Some Random Dude
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
JustBlues wrote:

I can agree to this. Except for the Vandy game being the only thing that hurt us badly. Overtime losses to Auburn and Bama, being up on Florida by double digits in the second half and still losing. They just couldn't finish back then. They got better, I understand that. But it was too little, too late. And Kennedy has had 6/7 years to instill that "FINISH" attitude.
The Vandy game was not the only nail but it was a very decisive and late one. Being at home, late in the season and such an embarrasingly lopsided loss easily over rode a decent SEC run. While the Auburn loss, in particular, was an important factor as well, I do not believe we'd be in had we finished against Auburn but still had that ridiculously lopsided home loss late. We needed at the very least to keep that Vandy game close AND had at least one more win (whether Auburn or someone else) to have had a reasonable chance of dancing.
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

If you will but look at the teams in both the "big dance" and the "other" dance, some are at the big dance with 12 losses or better, some at the small dance have only 6 losses. There are just too many automatic bids in the big dance for me. It is in NO way "the top 68 teams" that are represented.
scott
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Of course, any other SEC win gives us a winning conference record. And, yeah, that was too big a loss that late in the season. It certainly doesn't help your case.

My argument, you win those two overtime games and maintain the lead against Florida, you go 11-5 in conference. That can't be ignored by the committee.

It was that Vandy game that everyone said, "it's over" after the game ended, though.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

mascott wrote:If you will but look at the teams in both the "big dance" and the "other" dance, some are at the big dance with 12 losses or better, some at the small dance have only 6 losses. There are just too many automatic bids in the big dance for me. It is in NO way "the top 68 teams" that are represented.
scott
I agree. But you can't use it as an excuse. It's been this way for a long time now.
Some Random Dude
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
mascott wrote:If you will but look at the teams in both the "big dance" and the "other" dance, some are at the big dance with 12 losses or better, some at the small dance have only 6 losses. There are just too many automatic bids in the big dance for me. It is in NO way "the top 68 teams" that are represented.
scott
I agree. But you can't use it as an excuse. It's been this way for a long time now.
And IMO will be that way as long as he is here. But we can't afford to sack him. Just do not extend and maybe he will see the handwriting on the wall and start looking elsewhere and then we rebuild from ground up.
Last edited by Rebchuck18 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
lewindha wrote:
scott
And IMO will be that way as long as he is here. But we can't afford to sack him. Just do not extend and maybe he will are the handwriting on the wall and start looking elsewhere and then we rebuild from ground up.
U will be as wrong on AK as u are on Freeze. I still can't believe how much negativity some on this board has. Why don't yall turn your displeasure towards the program to the administration, they're the real cause of our program being down. Oh I forgot, yall like to whine. My bad. 8)
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Oh, the administration is definitely at fault for the situation our programs are in. But, at the same time they can't pick the coaches AND coach the players. And it's my opinion that AK, while he can recruit, can't coach.

I'm whining, you're drinking Kool-Aid. What's the difference? No reason to talk bad about each other.

What about the incident in Cincy with Kennedy? That means nothing to you? And I have eye witness testimony that it was much worse than reported in the news. So he can not make the tourney in however long he's been here, and not represent the university well, and that's OK?

And this is different than the Freeze situation. In this situation, we have 6/7 years of evidence.
Some Random Dude
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:
U will be as wrong on AK as u are on Freeze. I still can't believe how much negativity some on this board has. Why don't yall turn your displeasure towards the program to the administration, they're the real cause of our program being down. Oh I forgot, yall like to whine. My bad. 8)

I'm not sure if you realize this, but AK has already demonstrated over the past 6 seasons that we are correct. Even if you're right, and AK turns into some coaching savant, he still has to make up for 6 seasons of fail. That means, that if he were to make the NCAA's and win a game or two in each year for the next 6 seasons, then we are ONLY back to even (as in, starting over, like Kennedy was just hired) not to mention, TWELVE YEARS into his time at OM. You do realize that, right?

And for the record, you don't want me to start in on this administration. There are few things on this planet that I hate more than our Administration at OM. If I post here about my displeasure with the Administration, not only would I be banned for life, but I'd cause *beep* stars, drug tycoons and titans of unethical business to blush like Nuns with the language and graphic depictions of torturous intentions.
L. S. WHO?
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

HA HA Oxpatch you should direct that zombie comment you made on the cup towards the administration.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

jrebel87 wrote:HA HA Oxpatch you should direct that zombie comment you made on the cup towards the administration.
If you could only read some of the emails I send dear ol Petety.
L. S. WHO?